ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #46
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

I just went to the Scientology website to do a little perusing for my own information.

All the information there was completely cursory, and all arrows pointed toward purchasing something or setting up a "free" introductory session at your "local" center (not any in my state).

So, by implication, does that mean that all the post-introductory "sessions" cost something?

Sorry, but I'm not going to pay my way to salvation - I can find it just fine on my own using plain logic, TYVM.

There was also a fun "How Toxic Are You?" quiz.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #47
joppa.gal
monkey

Didn't somebody on here get hosed into a scientology seminar? I think they have a free sales pitch and then tell you how much you need their $100,000 product, which I'm pretty sure includes hypno-shock therapy to remove guilt.
joppa.gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:59 AM   #48
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon

But luckily, there is a Christian Science Reading Room just down Central Avenue where they can all meet.
heh... I'm glad you corrected this... Christian Scientists, for all that they do have some wonky ideas about when it's appropriate to involve the evil Western medicine community, aren't anything like Scientologists. I'm not one, but I've sung at a number of their services, and they were actually pretty interesting... a more "adult" experience than many religions based in Christianity, mostly emphasizing individual meditation, interpretation and manifestation of the Bible's contents. An intelligent and well-educated group overall. I'm sure you're not the first person to get the two confused, however, which I'm sure amuses the Christian Science community to no end...
Old 06-27-2005, 07:53 AM   #49
JesusTitties
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

why is everyone picking on maverick
JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #50
JesusTitties
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #51
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

Ha HA HA, that 80'S picture is too much. He's got the camel toe tight jeans and all

—Jeanette Winterson
venusupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:32 PM   #52
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapietra
heh... I'm glad you corrected this... Christian Scientists, for all that they do have some wonky ideas about when it's appropriate to involve the evil Western medicine community, aren't anything like Scientologists. I'm not one, but I've sung at a number of their services, and they were actually pretty interesting... a more "adult" experience than many religions based in Christianity, mostly emphasizing individual meditation, interpretation and manifestation of the Bible's contents. An intelligent and well-educated group overall. I'm sure you're not the first person to get the two confused, however, which I'm sure amuses the Christian Science community to no end...

I have never and will never forgive them for Jim Henson. He died from an infection that was left untreated as per their mandates. They just are more covertly strange; like the Witnesses..which my family is filled to the brim with, TYVM.

ETA..There are NEVER any cars at the reading room. NEVER..in the 25 years I have lived here, have I seen a living being there. Vampires, that is my thought now......
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 PM   #53
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

wowow what would i do without this thread!??!
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #54
Brynn
constantly amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle
There are all sorts of actors, Spencer Tracy and Joan Crawford and Bette Davis and Errol Flynn and later, Richard Burton and Marlon Brando and Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson and on down to Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver, and as recently as Colin Farrell, Winona Ryder, Russell Crowe -- all these people have said and done things in their offscreen lives with which I disagree or for which I can develop very little sympathy OR empathy, but they have one thing in common -- they are (IN MY OPINION - dun-dun-dunhhhhh) Excellent Actors.

In your opinion, Tom is an excellent actor. You share that opinion with bunches and bunches of other people, apparently -- his name on a picture is a pretty good guarantee that it will at least break even.

But in JUST MY OPINION, he's a mediocre actor. And to give even a great actor such mass attention simply because they voice their opinion is an amusing practice. We seem to think that because someone looks good and sound good, they have to know what they're talking about. It's really more funny than anything else -- people are really not too many steps away from our monkey brethren.

When it's said that we "descended" from the apes, it's probably an apt phrase -- the direction does seem to be downward. heh Monkeys will imitate what appeals to them, but seldom do they seem to take it seriously. I have never heard of them tuning into talk shows to listen to another monkey saying that bananas are really apples and apples are no good, and then arguing amongst themselves about it afterward.
Point taken! When you put his name in there with Spencer Tracy, Sigourney Weaver, Russell Crowe et. all (with the exception of Errol Flynn - never cared for his acting) okay, yes, it's obvious that he's not a great actor. But let's talk truly mediocre actors - Vin Diesel, Arnold, Brian "One-Note" Dennehy, Kate Hudson, Cameron Diaz, anyone in the cast of "24" ... especially that insufferable tall dark and handsome soap-opera type who works in the crisis/nerve center of the show...uck.

We do take on-screen emotional commitment for granted. Although he's not my favorite actor in the world (that would be Anthony Hopkins or Peter O'Toole or Katherine Hepburn) Cruise is able to show some really dark, authentic emotions and as an actress I guess I respond to his performances because I know he has to tap into some really traumatic emotional memories to get there. If we can peek behind that 200-watt smile and the Scientology brain-washing, I think hiding there is a huge amount of childhood pain. That goofy picture of him posing "alluringly" that JT posted just illustrates to me that there was no sensible grown-up around to look out for his best interests as a human being. Scientology got their hooks into him while he was vulnerable. Maybe I'm just reading too much into everything, though.
I think he attacked Brooke Shields because her pain struck a chord in him, Scientology couldn't address it, and out of intense cognitive dissonance he went off the deep end. But hey, I really am just a dumb actress monkey with an opinion ...(I'm not a psychologist, but I've played one on T.V.)

P.S. I was surprised to learn from an equally surprised friend who worked with Colin Farrell that when he's not acting up in front of the press, he's actually a very warm, intelligent, gentle guy who likes kids and is truly a wonderful generous person. I think fame really screws with otherwise decent heads. There are a lot of walking wounded in the acting profession - it seems to attract them.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #55
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
But let's talk truly mediocre actors - Vin Diesel,
Noooooooooooooo!

I lurvs him. And unlike Tom creepy-hopped-up Cruise, he's hot. Hotness overcomes EVERYTHING.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 PM   #56
Frieda
in limbo

holy shit

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:37 PM   #57
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
But hey, I really am just a dumb actress monkey with an opinion ...(I'm not a psychologist, but I've played one on T.V.)

P.S. I was surprised to learn from an equally surprised friend who worked with Colin Farrell that when he's not acting up in front of the press, he's actually a very warm, intelligent, gentle guy who likes kids and is truly a wonderful generous person. I think fame really screws with otherwise decent heads. There are a lot of walking wounded in the acting profession - it seems to attract them.
You are NOT dumb! Not by any means!

As for Colin Farrell, I think he's kind of like Denis Leary -- says "hard mouth" things to be funny but really is a decent human being. I'm not at all surprised to find that out about him. (Leary's 'Leary Foundation', a charitable foundation for families of fallen firefighters, belies his wiseacre, hardass standup style, but there you are.)

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:38 PM   #58
zenbabe
Lollypop!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 PM   #59
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

HAHAHahahahaha!

Good one.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:47 PM   #60
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle
You are NOT dumb! Not by any means!

As for Colin Farrell, I think he's kind of like Denis Leary -- says "hard mouth" things to be funny but really is a decent human being. I'm not at all surprised to find that out about him. (Leary's 'Leary Foundation', a charitable foundation for families of fallen firefighters, belies his wiseacre, hardass standup style, but there you are.)

The thing about the media is that they catch one mistake and blow it out of proportion. Tom Cruise might be prone to manic episodes (that is what he reminded me of in Oprah) and says the wrong things; the difference between him and us is that this is being recorded and gets played a 1000 times. Being a celebrity is not as good as it looks, I know a few famous people here in Iceland and believe me they will never show their true face to the media because they don't trust them and they fear a witch hunt. Fame is not the glamour we imagine, 90% of it is avoiding bad press or avoiding the press in general.
Also the psychology behind the public getting a kick out of this is the good old "At least it's not me being the assh#le!"

—Jeanette Winterson
venusupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: