Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Addicted doctor 'free to practise'

Addicted doctor 'free to practise'
By Michelle Wiese Bockmann
June 08, 2005
A MENTALLY ill, drug-addicted doctor who provided "seriously inadequate" care to a patient who later died is free to practise medicine.

The Medical Board of South Australia yesterday confirmed it has placed no restrictions on Stuart Mauro, despite an inquest finding he had a 10-cones-of-cannabis-a-day habit and was sacked from a public hospital for stealing valium.
Registrar Joe Hooper said Dr Mauro was currently not working as a doctor but declined to say why complaints about the doctor's drug use were never investigated.

The board has already been criticised by the state's coroner for its handling of Dr Mauro's drug dependence.

A long-term employer of Dr Mauro raised further questions after revealing yesterday that it had had no idea about his drug addiction and mental illness.

Boxing SA chief executive Grant Peters said Dr Mauro worked as a medical consultant to the sporting organisation "for many, many years" until February this year.

"We were completely unaware," Mr Peters said.

Two of South Australia's leading medical figures were members of the board committee which met twice with Dr Mauro before the death of the female patient.

Coroner Wayne Chivell found Flinders Medical Centre head of psychiatry Ross Kalucy knew of Dr Mauro's cannabis and valium addiction after learning of complaints from an Adelaide locum service.

But Professor Kalucy concluded in February 2002 there were no concerns about Dr Mauro's ability to practise.

Dr Mauro testified during the inquest he could not remember treating 69-year-old Ruth Sorenson in July 2002. She collapsed and died at her home less than 24 hours after he discharged her from the emergency department of an Adelaide hospital.

Despite also knowing of complaints from the NSW Medical Board, Professor Kalucy left the file open and did not refer Dr Mauro's case to the medical board for investigation. Professor Kalucy did not return calls from The Australian yesterday.

The local Australian Medical Association said banning Dr Mauro would be like "closing the door after the horse has bolted".

President Christopher Cain said the medical board dealt with drug-dependent doctors in a "generally quite appropriate way".

"But it would appear that this is one case where it did slip under the radar to some extent," Dr Cain said.

The inquest found no evidence that Dr Mauro's judgment was impaired by drugs or mental illness when he treated Sorenson.

But Mr Chivell said it was a gross departure from reasonable standards of care.

Dr Mauro's full certificate of registration was returned in December 2003, Mr Chivell said.

Yesterday, the Medical Board of South Australia declined to provide further details about when and why restrictions were placed on Dr Mauro after July 2002, or whether it planned to take further action.

"I am not talking to the media any more until I have met with my board and it directs me to do so," Mr Hooper said.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

She was 69!! Fvck.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Bowel obstruction.

X-ray.

Hello.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #4
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I had some consumption to attend to. 69. Fvck!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #5
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
When I saw "Addicted doctor 'free to..." I thought it was going to finish "good home".
Old 06-10-2005, 01:28 AM   #6
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

In related news:

Patel may face murder charge
June 10, 2005

Prima facie case ... Tony Morris QC, heading the inquiry, handed an interim report to the Queensland Government today. THE Indian-trained surgeon linked with 87 deaths at a Queensland hospital should be charged with murder, the head of a commission of inquiry has recommended.

In an interim inquiry report presented to the Queensland government today, inquiry head Tony Morris QC also recommends Dr Jayant Patel be charged with a negligent act causing harm, fraud, and making false representations.
Mr Morris has asked for Patel, the former director of surgery at Bundaberg Base Hospital, to be extradited to face the charges in Australia.

The murder charge relates to Dr Patel's actions regarding patient James Edwards Phillips. Mr Morris said in his report an alternative charge of manslaughter could be considered in that case.

"We consider that a prima facie case of manslaughter (at least) is made out in relation to patient capital P34 (James Edward Phillips)," Mr Morris said in the report.

Dr Patel fled Australia in March. His exact whereabouts is not known, but he could be in Oregon in the United States, where he practised previously, or in India where he has relatives.

Premier Peter Beattie was this morning giving a special cabinet briefing on the interim report before releasing it to state parliament.

The Morris inquiry resumes hearings in Bundaberg on June 20.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:14 AM   #7
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

birdie num nums
Old 06-20-2005, 06:43 AM   #8
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Dr Death 'did not wash hands'

Quote:
Dr Death 'did not wash hands'
By Rosemary Desmond
June 20, 2005

THE surgeon dubbed Dr Death often failed to wash his hands between surgical patients, a nurse has told an inquiry.

Gail Aylmer, the infection control nurse consultant at Bundaberg District Hospital, said during rounds Dr Jayant Patel examined surgical patients and touched their wounds but she noticed he did not wash his hands despite subtle reminders to do so.

"It got to the point where I wasn't getting anywhere with that so I grabbed a box of (surgical) gloves and put it in his hands," Ms Aylmer said.

"He was touching wounds and pulling off dressings and looking at the wounds."

Ms Aylmer told the inquiry into Dr Patel headed by Tony Morris, QC, she also had concerns about a high incidence of wound dehissance where surgical wounds reopen either through faulty surgical technique or because of faulty closure products.

The inquiry heard one patient's bowel was visible through a line of staples after surgery.

Ms Aylmer detailed her concerns in a report she had written to hospital authorities.

She said Dr Patel had a reasonable explanation for all them at the time and she believed she had to trust him.

But his explanations were delivered in an intimidating manner.

"I did not expect Dr Patel would come to me and stand over me," she said.

"It was quite intimidating."

Ms Aylmer was the first of several nurses expected to give evidence before the commission of inquiry which has begun three weeks of public hearings in Bundaberg.

Dr Patel fled overseas on April 1 after being named in state Parliament.

He has since been linked to the deaths of least 87 people and Mr Morris has recommended murder and fraud charges be laid against him.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
joppa.gal
monkey

What.... maybe it's been a long time since I've "smoked a doobie" or whatever they call it, DONT LAUGH at my lingo!

But since when do they Call it Cones?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: