ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT > collaborative short story
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 05:42 AM   #16
amanda
old s'cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrank
i look forward to your suggestions on a rule base that might work here. we could begin with highly structural rules for a first draft...then revisit it by editing the piece with a different rule set.
you'd make an excellent dipolmat.

instead of going through the motions of reinventing the wheel, perhaps just using the inherent rule set of a basic story- three acts moving in an arc of crisis, climax and resolution. It sounds like you have a basis of a crisis in mind (a divorce). Perhaps the rest of us can fill in- what is the incident that gets the plot rolling? Is it the divorce itself? The aftermath? The custody hearing? The day Dan scrapes his knee on the pavement and can't have mommy kiss it better because mommy is living across town?

you've got it below...

Quote:
i'm not looking for mass participation...only looking for a few people who are familiar with some of the dynamics of community based fiction to try and attempt something more challenging and hopefully in the process find structural components that might make this work.

its too easy to predict failure based on past experience.
true that, captain. but, as I am sure you are keenly aware, it does help to use the knowledge gained from "failures" (I'm not sure what you constitute as failure here... but I'll run with it.)

Quote:
how about we write the entire story in its most basic elements first:

for example we sum up the entire story based purely on plot points...i.e. dan's parent's argue. dan picks up a broken watch. dan falls asleep on the neighbor's lawn.

his could be restricted to a structural rule (one or two sentences at a time...doesn't matter if there is redunancy, mutual exclusivity, etc...)

based on the community thinking we trim this down...then write a paragraph that tackles thematic relationships, then the back story on characters...
I like this... it gives a chance for folks to pick and choose to focus on their strengths in the story creating process (as trish mentioned about an outline).

I think it can be both thematic and plot outline thread... I'll go and start one....

Quote:
i don't care how long it takes. dammit.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #17
ally
cunning stunt

I remember thinking 'thank fvck for that' when mine split up, I was four.

My, how useful I am.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:56 PM   #18
Anna
n

this open

too late?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #19
amanda
old s'cool

never too late for jello
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:20 AM   #20
Anna
n

err.. um.. hmm... what I meant to ask was... this project completed, abandoned, or just put on the back burner?

duckies in jello?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #21
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Question

If this is still on the table as something people want to do, I say we go with the "two sentence at a time" rule and GET GOING.

If there's some official confirmation that there is still interest, I'll be happy to get the ball rolling. I miss doing these and have NO problem at all thinking like a four year-old.

If the original project was completed off-board, how 'bout let's start another?

Color me a little late in getting on board.
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #22
Anna
n

shoot
Old 05-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #23
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Before we get started, let's give this kid a name. That helps a lot. Suggestion?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #24
Anna
n

Boy or Girl?

Last edited by Anna : 05-19-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #25
LeahDear
monkey

How about a boy called Jane
Old 05-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Spencer Jane sought refuge on the front porch of his parents’ suburban home. From his post there, he would listen for the shouting inside to die down, signaling that it was safe to go back inside.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:18 PM   #27
Anna
n

Spencer would lay back against the the painted wooden stairs and squint up at the sun. He'd look at the sky and pretend he was riding a horse or a dragon he imagined from the clouds. Most of the time he would just peal the cracking paint off the stairs. He liked to put a small piece in his mouth, even though his mother told him not to, but the paint tasted sweet and he thought, “it's just a little piece.” Sometimes while picking at the stairs a sliver of the old wood would stab him hard under his nail, it hurt and he'd rush in to the house to get a band-aid and some comfort, secretly hoping his pain and tears would also end their loud talking.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #28
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=7820
Old 05-21-2006, 04:48 AM   #29
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

I guess we missed that thread somehow. Anna, should we venture over in that direction or see where ours goes? Any harm in having more than one of these?

Last edited by Sunnybunny : 05-21-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Sunnybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #30
Anna
n

"I guess we missed that thread somehow."

Me too. I couldn't find it without the link posted.

"Anna, should we venture over in that direction or see where ours goes? Any harm in having more than one of these? "

got me... I'm new here, through I suspect we need to do something different, just not sure what. Rules are a bit vague, but we might be steeping on a few toes here. I'm open to suggestion.

RULES FOR THE FICTION PROJECT
http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin/showthread.php?t=9206

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: