ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 AM   #16
TruthSeeker
monkey

How does Israel really win this war with Hezbollah, or anybody else who wants to see Israel destroyed? That is the question I ask myself, and what I have found disturbs me to think it, but I don't see many other options out there that pose much hope for lasting peace. While I don't suggest that any of my thoughts have a place in todays world, I'll throw them out here for some thought. The only wars that are won are those where one side is the clear looser, and the other side is the clear winner. The best example of this is WWII. The tactics employed during WWII were brutal from all sides. One of the tactics used during WWII against Germany was carpet bombing. This included cities which had many civilians. Again in Japan we dropped two atomic bombs; killing thousands with a big bang. The point here is that the will to fight had been lost by our enemies. There is a huge psychological effect with these types of tactics. Of course these tactics find no room in todays word because of technology and the speed at which information is moved from one end of the globe to the other. How many of us would eat a steak if we had to watch the cow being killed and slaughtered? Well the same thing goes for the tactics of the past. Because will all get to see the dramatic effects of war, we have a tendency to loose our appetite for war. It is hard for many to support a war when they see the blood. The truth is, we were much more effective at winning the war when it was off the TV screen, and information moved at a snails pace.

So will Israel win peace through war? It will depend on how much will to fight is lost by their enemies. I have my doubts because the modern world wants their wars to be conducted with surgeon gloves.

I hope for peace, but there may need to be a lot of blood letting before the differences can be resolved.
TruthSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:16 AM   #17
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Isn't there a better wanking forum elsewhere?
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #18
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
I say we parachute trish and snake in.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 AM   #19
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

At first I was gob-smacked and then I remembered a classic post. So here goes.

The only wars that are won are those where one side is the clear looser, and the other side is the clear winner.

NO

The best example of this is WWII.

NO

The tactics employed during WWII were brutal from all sides. One of the tactics used during WWII against Germany was carpet bombing. This included cities which had many civilians. Again in Japan we dropped two atomic bombs; killing thousands with a big bang. The point here is that the will to fight had been lost by our enemies.

NO

There is a huge psychological effect with these types of tactics. Of course these tactics find no room in todays word because of technology and the speed at which information is moved from one end of the globe to the other.

NO

How many of us would eat a steak if we had to watch the cow being killed and slaughtered? Well the same thing goes for the tactics of the past. Because will all get to see the dramatic effects of war, we have a tendency to loose our appetite for war.

NO

It is hard for many to support a war when they see the blood. The truth is, we were much more effective at winning the war when it was off the TV screen, and information moved at a snails pace.

NO

So will Israel win peace through war? It will depend on how much will to fight is lost by their enemies.

NO
Old 07-24-2006, 02:49 AM   #20
TruthSeeker
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasacutsnake
At first I was gob-smacked and then I remembered a classic post. So here goes.

The only wars that are won are those where one side is the clear looser, and the other side is the clear winner.

NO

The best example of this is WWII.

NO

The tactics employed during WWII were brutal from all sides. One of the tactics used during WWII against Germany was carpet bombing. This included cities which had many civilians. Again in Japan we dropped two atomic bombs; killing thousands with a big bang. The point here is that the will to fight had been lost by our enemies.

NO

There is a huge psychological effect with these types of tactics. Of course these tactics find no room in todays word because of technology and the speed at which information is moved from one end of the globe to the other.

NO

How many of us would eat a steak if we had to watch the cow being killed and slaughtered? Well the same thing goes for the tactics of the past. Because will all get to see the dramatic effects of war, we have a tendency to loose our appetite for war.

NO

It is hard for many to support a war when they see the blood. The truth is, we were much more effective at winning the war when it was off the TV screen, and information moved at a snails pace.

NO

So will Israel win peace through war? It will depend on how much will to fight is lost by their enemies.

NO
If your only response is "NO", then why reply at all?
TruthSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:14 AM   #21
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

It did cross my mind to wonder the same....................
Old 07-31-2006, 10:59 PM   #22
amanda
old s'cool

An interesting response from former prime minister of Lebanon, Michel Aoun

You'll kindly notice he mentions no bloodletting.

We have a responsibility, as well as the means, to do better than our ancestors. That's what studying history is for.

also, I think you mean "lose", not loose. It boggles my mind how many people get that wrong. Just remember you want a noose loose, but don't lose sight of it- keep one eye (or in this case, an "O") on it.

Hope this helps.

~a
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:28 PM   #23
Fiona
Fiona

What is Hezbollah?

Middle East expert Juan Cole has a discussion of Hezbollah posted today that is worth a read.

http://http://www.juancole.com/2006/...d-israeli.html

Cheers,
Fiona
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #24
mugen
monkey

history's turnovers

history has way of turning around so radically sometimes at the end of the day you feel like writing a check to pay your "stupid tax" without anyone asking you for it. Do you think? is it possible that in like a hundred or two hundred years from now or maybe much sooner there will be a memory of a holocaust against muslims by the jewish and christian world?
I pretty much think that is a very possible scenario. So what would we do in that case? build monuments and tell the muslims they can do whatever they want just to compensate for screwing them big time? No ofense to the jews but that is exactly what the last 50 years were for them.
I can only ask, why do we do it? maybe people like feeling guilty, maybe people like it when you feel guilty for them.
So anyway, I say leave this muslim people alone! before we have to start paying new debts. Let them be as they are, in tim they will decide to stop death penalty, stop jihad, let theyr women show a little skin and such but for now let's not try to "free" everybody. Ok?
mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #25
Anna
n

wars are very profitable, if you know how and where to invest.
when there is sufficient damage,
peace is very profitable, if you know how and where to invest.

always room for jello

Last edited by Anna : 08-20-2006 at 08:48 PM.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #26
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Peace is not the absence of war.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: