ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

The Art and Art History Jamboree

It's bad enough she'll be coming back to enormous changes...but if Brynn gets back from vacation and there's nothing like this up, there'll be hell to pay.
Sooooo....

I like collage. I think it's commonly considered inherently inferior to painting or drawing, but that's terribly myopic imho. There's a similar argument to be made with music and sampling...the less sophisticated forms of it amount to base theft, but in the hands of some, it can transcend the original work and offer commentary on both the elements used, and their meaning in society. It's quite an old technique of course, but here are some newer examples:

Romare Bearden

Man Ray (his name alone is a work of art, and yes, those are walnuts)

I like Jason Rohlf

(see the birdies?)

Joseph Nechvatal does computer-based collage, which I find a really interesting. In this one, done as he was contemplating the effects of the AIDS virus, he allowed a computer virus to do its work on the imagery he was using in the collage:

The opposite of collage is decollage, where one removes some of the overlay(s) to reveal what's underneath. (This is not to be confused with décolletage, which, though I guess it could be said to concern a kind of reveal, is another thing entirely.)
I guess Mimmo Rotella is the best-known example of decollage.

This is my favorite Rotella:
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment

just went this cindy sherman show here and loved it.
especially love her untitled film stills series. i dunno why,
they're just great.

that's just a kind of random selection. they've all got something though.
cindy, i love you!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^Those are great! I think part of their appeal for me is that they look like everyday memories.

I came across Yim Mau-Kun the other day and was enchanted. He's of great repute in the East, but I'd never heard of him before. Some of his landscapes are nice, but his portrait work is stellar.

There are some lovely nudes that I won't post here , but you can see them at www.yimmaukun.com

"It's a blessing to live. I'm fortunate to be able to live and paint at the same time."

Awww.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
CherishHellfire
Mistress of Time & Space

Art history I'm sure includes the creation of it in current times as well. Easily collaborating with other humans via the tubes is one of my favorite aspects of our selves. I believe that the mixing old tools with new technologies, between people from all walks of life, is one of the shining stars of this age.

This picture was created from several photos by myself, before I fed it into a mosaic generator that uses pictures from all over the interweb to create this massivley collaborative image.

Link to original file here:----> X

Click on the image to get to the mosaic generator. Sorry about the size of the image. There is just too much detail to make it any smaller. =)

CherishHellfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: