ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #76
Frieda
in limbo

is there an english word for the dutch "geneuzel" (neus means nose)?

geneuzel is what happens when a group is endlessly deciding what's good. it happens when a group of 10+ people with 3 cars try to decide who's driving in each car. all sorts of useless arguments are being pulled in and you fail to come to a decision within 10 minutes.

it's not about the best thing to do, that would be called mierenneuken (ant fvcking). if you are practising mierenneuken, you'd be pointing out that your opinion is the very best because you want to be exactly right about everything. things have to be precise and accurate, otherwise you aren't satisfied.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #77
Angry Kid Hoyt
How long was I asleep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
is there an english word for the dutch "geneuzel" (neus means nose)?

geneuzel is what happens when a group is endlessly deciding what's good. it happens when a group of 10+ people with 3 cars try to decide who's driving in each car. all sorts of useless arguments are being pulled in and you fail to come to a decision within 10 minutes.

it's not about the best thing to do, that would be called mierenneuken (ant fvcking). if you are practising mierenneuken, you'd be pointing out that your opinion is the very best because you want to be exactly right about everything. things have to be precise and accurate, otherwise you aren't satisfied.

I think the word you are looking for is bureaucracy.
Angry Kid Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #78
Frieda
in limbo

nah.. that's bureaucratie. bureaucracy would be mierenneuken blamed on rules & regulations.

any other suggestions? i really have to use this word at work later this week..

oh yeah
Old 02-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #79
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^I think the word you're looking for is "clusterfvck," but I'm not sure that's appropriate for work...
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #80
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

use it to navigate a starship and you'd call it bistromathics
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:52 AM   #81
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

You can read this link and see if it helps, but I wonder if this is directly translatable.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 AM   #82
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

I'd say in groupthink you actually come to a decision, just the wrong one.

If you fail to come to a decision? It's just faffing about then.

Feel like going to Abilene sometime?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 AM   #83
12"razormix

to agonize about a decision?
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 AM   #84
Frieda
in limbo

thanks everybody

the word clusterfvck should be appropriate for work love it!

agonize about something might be too severe.. i'm not sure.. i've never heard of faffing about, i'll pay attention to the USA and UK guys to check if they use it

i guess with geneuzel, the important thing is that it's about nothing really important, but everybody wants it to be good before moving on to the next point. so there's a discussion, and after about 10 minutes people start getting up and go get coffee or go on a potty break, and when they come back it still isn't solved and everybody gets really fed up. i usually stick around to watch the fireworks.

the groupthink link is very interesting and applicable to IT organizations-- in fact, it's exactly what's causing "desert island" behavior in IT organizations.. like the server management guys vs the help desk.

neat

oh yeah
Old 02-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #85
Angry Kid Hoyt
How long was I asleep?

Quote:
thanks everybody

the word clusterfvck should be appropriate for work love it!

agonize about something might be too severe.. i'm not sure.. i've never heard of faffing about, i'll pay attention to the USA and UK guys to check if they use it

i guess with geneuzel, the important thing is that it's about nothing really important, but everybody wants it to be good before moving on to the next point. so there's a discussion, and after about 10 minutes people start getting up and go get coffee or go on a potty break, and when they come back it still isn't solved and everybody gets really fed up. i usually stick around to watch the fireworks.

the groupthink link is very interesting and applicable to IT organizations-- in fact, it's exactly what's causing "desert island" behavior in IT organizations.. like the server management guys vs the help desk.

neat

It is so relieving to know that this phenomenon is universal.
Angry Kid Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #86
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

Quote:

neat
see also "corporate silos"
Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #87
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Jein:
a hybrid of ja and nein, meaning not 'maybe yes, maybe no', but 'yes and no simultaneously';
very practical as answer to questions concerning quantum physics, tricky philosophical/ethical questions, human beings in general and in particularly inter-human-relationships
Is there in English (Yo doesn't work out, I figured ) or any other language such a word or a similar thing?
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #88
Brynn
constantly amazed

I think we just say "maybe" or "perhaps" ...

Years ago when Steven Spielberg was directing a lot of movies, a friend of mine coined a hilarious phrase to describe the director's magical touch with handling action scenes, or his way of choreographing busy background crowds to create a sense of excitement, or just his ability to enchant in general - he would say it in a very pretentious German accent - "Spielbergian Wunderscheiss"

Not sure if "Wunderscheiss" (wondershit?) is very polite in German, but we got away with it in English. It's not a real term in German, is it? We thought we made it up ourselves, but who knows? We used it an amused, admiring way.

It privately came to mean anything that was done with an over-developed sense of drama and hullabaloo - fireworks on Fourth of July, an elaborate, well-planned party, an over-the-top birthday cake or anything made by Martha Stewart. We live in different countries now, and I miss being able to use this handy phrase with someone who laughs and knows what I mean by it.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #89
T.I.P.
balancing actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi_B View Post
Jein:
a hybrid of ja and nein, meaning not 'maybe yes, maybe no', but 'yes and no simultaneously';
very practical as answer to questions concerning quantum physics, tricky philosophical/ethical questions, human beings in general and in particularly inter-human-relationships
Is there in English (Yo doesn't work out, I figured ) or any other language such a word or a similar thing?
the Indian head bobble is the South-Asian relative of the Jein.

It can mean "yes", it can mean "no", it can mean "maybe", but also "Ok but throw in a few more rupies", "you are crazy", "I don't know", "I don't understand a word of what you are babbling" and a number of other things.

If you spend some time in India you may avoid the runs but I guarantee that you will come home with a case of the head bobbles. It wears off soon afterwards.

Wikipedia has more on this subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_bobble
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #90
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^^Better translation might be miracleshit, it's no real term (yet, I might introduce it ), so it cannot be impolite
(And just like saying that's hot shit in English is maybe floppy but not impolite)

Quote:
I think we just say "maybe" or "perhaps" ...
You need a word! Maybe/perhaps is uncertain about yes or no, but jein is certain it is both.
Mmh... I'll think about a word....

^Wow the Indian head-bobble is even more universal methinks
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: