Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #3661
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
403 - Knock knock
Logged. Go back from whence you came
Uh-oh. Someone's been naughty and tried to use "fetch" or some of the concise, nicht-vor-dem-kind words...
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #3662
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
fetch
Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #3663
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
turbary - where the turbines are kept.

Whenever the Sultan wanted a turbine, he would send a eunuch into the turbary to get one.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #3664
Marcus Bales

Now, when I used "fetch" instead of "get" I got the 403 error. When I simply posted the word "fetch" there was no problem. What gives? I warn you -- I have another cocoon all ready!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #3665
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

I will not be intimidated by some cocoon-weaver. You have to unveil the mysteries of the universe, women and the Zeboard on your own.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #3666
Marcus Bales

That's "some obscure cocoon weaver" -- try to get it right.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:34 AM   #3667
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Most certainly. I won't forget to mention it on Judgement Day.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #3668
Marcus Bales

turbary - non sequitur repartee

Ysapur and Marcus, finding it slow going playing the Dictionary Game, engaged in some turbary to try to liven things up.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #3669
Brynn
constantly amazed

turbary - a perfectly executed about-face upon accidentally entering an unlocked but occupied bathroom.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #3670
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Turbary, nowadays a hole in the ground, used to be:
Quote:
turbary
1. land, or a piece of land, where turf or peat may be dug or cut.
2. Law. the right to cut turf or peat on a common land or on another person's land.
It goes in line with the tradition of having all those refined rights British citizens proudly hold, like the right to pick your nose in public, the right to break your leg and/or neck in a downhill cheese-rolling contest, the right to snorkel in a bog, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox View Post
turbary the small creak made by earth as it spins and turns on its axis at the height of the season.

Hardly perceptible, Alex noted a turbary on June 21st as she regained her grip on the half full margarita in her right hand.
The Most Sensitive Geographical Perceptor of the Nanosecond goes to xfox, one of the most brilliant minds the whole of Cybertron can offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Turbary - n. A small bird cage covered by wrapping with a long fabric strip and worn on the head.

The post 911 era's tightened airport security had the unexpected consequence of ending the use of turbaries, severely limiting the illegal international Middle East bird smuggling trade.
I will indulge Coffee with two awards, because I still remember how he likes snatching them and then lets others do the hard work: the Linguistically Most Correct Award together with the Smartest Political Scientist of the Nanosecond, for correctly identifying the real source of threat, coming from the Middle East.

Quote:
turbary - 1) the now-illegal practice of taking an action to recover personal property said or claimed to be unlawfully taken. 2) The writ or procedure of such an action.

OJ's informal attempt at turbary resulted in a longer jail sentence than the murder of his wife.
The Revenge of an Obscure Cocoon Weaver CD with detailed instructions and lengthy footage of close-ups goes to Marcus for promoting forceful taking, together with part II, Songs of a Jailbird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treekisser View Post
turbary n. 1. a technologically advanced, highly automated plant engaged in the manufacture of turbs [turb, n. a sixth generation robot or droid capable of performing at a superhuman level]. 2. a group, product line, or colony of turbs.

It was not until their third date that Roger knew that Alpharetta was not only a highly placed executive of a turbary but also the product of one.
The Biomechanic Engineer of the Nanosecond Award, for creating and testing Alpharetta, many a man’s dream, goes to treekisser, who, when not saving trees is concerned with the development of sensory feedback, and information processing of turbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi_B View Post
turbary n
serial chaotic deja-vu: in a given situation the affected person experiences that some details are different than "remembered" originally, others not, and that this true/false pattern changes from episode to episode

"Have I already told you about my newest turbary? No?! ...Then sit down and listen it's interesting and somewhat funny and very outre...."
Dr Stephi, the Discoverer of the Nanosecond, is finally awarded for her extensive study in the field of mental processes and human behaviour. It comes along with a degree, Master of Self-Deception, highly distinguished, although held by most people, in the form of a bottle of booze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrum View Post
turbary n

a repository of disturbing books.

Having spotted The Altar Boy's Kama Sutra by Fr. Ben DiMovar, I entered the turbary with mounting anticipation. OOH, ERR...
dddrum’s keen eye earns him The Ecclesiastical Architect of the Nanosecond, for his inside knowledge and penetrating capacity to discern the true purpose of the turbary .

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina View Post
turbary: Glassware designed to hold sugar in a tea set.

Ariella carefully placed the pot of darjeeling between the green-tinted turbary and matching lacticello.
Upon trisherina the Boticelli Baward of Beauty, as well as The Artist of the Nanosecond shall be bestowed, for creating harmony in chaos and providing pleasure to the senses, for begetting that, which is not, but should be.

Quote:
turbary - the ability to post the word "test" in the Dictionary Game, but not a definition of the word.
The Chief Experimenter of the Nanosecond Award goes to some obscure cocoon weaver.

Quote:
turbary - where the turbines are kept.

Whenever the Sultan wanted a turbine, he would send a eunuch into the turbary to get one.
It’s high time to shed some light on an obscure cocoon weaver’s secret activities and disclose the Fetishist of the Nanos… erm... entury. Marcus trying to cover up his turbine fixation, installed a cocoon… but let’s not talk about that. His obsessive preoccupation with turbines resulted in a series of murders, oops, poems, one of which he wrote under the pseudonym of Emma Dawson.

Emma Dawson:Turbine poem

Majestic monsters, whirling wizards,
Protrude the landscape, soaring tall,
Blades and swirls and angel's wings,
A rush of wind, they rise and fall.

Mighty metal, whispering wonders,
Harnessing force with elegance,
Giant beacons, performers of
A rhytmic, hypnotic, ritual dance.

Quote:
turbary - non sequitur repartee

Ysapur and Marcus, finding it slow going playing the Dictionary Game, engaged in some turbary to try to liven things up.
The Logistician of the Nanosecond Award goes to the now-not-so-obscure cocoon weaver Marcus and um, me, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
turbary - a perfectly executed about-face upon accidentally entering an unlocked but occupied bathroom.

The I Will Survive Award goes to Brynn, who is, quite accidentally, the Chief Meteorologist of the Nanosecond, too, for having weathered bravely the most embarrassing moment of the nanosecond.

Now enough of awards, all of you've had your 15 nanoseconds of fame, let’s see the prizes.
2nd runner up: treekisser
1st runner up: trisherina
and no prize for obscure cocoon weavers aka multiple enterers
The winner is Coffee!!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #3671
Coffee
Cheeses Save

clearly this is punishment for not being party to the last seemingly endless game, and then sticking my pushy nose in at the end.

fine...fine...be that way.

Do your best/worst with:

cabotage
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #3672
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

cabotage - to steal a taxi in front of one's very nose.

^What are you talking about? It's not a punishment, it's an award.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #3673
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

cabotage: Produce theft perpetrated upon the very wealthy.

Jake surmised that the Pilsburys' head cook never even noticed his acts of cabotage on their kitchen garden -- he helped himself three times a week, and they never troubled themselves to install so much as a scarecrow.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #3674
Marcus Bales

cabotage - 1. What the Lowells report the Cabots say; 2. What people wish, hope, or think the Cabots would say if the Cabots were aware of the real situation; 3. metaphorical justice from above, particularly regarding social or cultural matters.

We in Zefrank Nation used to get the occasional cabotage from Frieda or one of the other moderators about what Ze was thinking, but recently we've been reduced to mere JaysonBlairisms.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #3675
treekisser
It isn't easy being green

cabotage n. a special disposition or privilege accorded only to select members of a group.

I shall be taking a cabotage on this round of the Dictionary Game, proclaimed the the Marquis de Bales.
treekisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: