ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #4261
Brynn
constantly amazed

umquhile - a person who silently but obsessively counts the number of times a teenager utters "um" in a sentence during a conversation (see also: umquphile - one whose utterances of "um" outnumber any other words in a sentence).
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #4262
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Hfox, pretty please judge the game for me and carry on; still can't type much.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 AM   #4263
Madmack
..it just started...

umquhile: a lab synthesized crystalline alkaloid possessing anti-inflammatory, antimalarial and analgesic properties.
Preceding Billy's research trip to the Mosquito Coast, he was on a strict four week umquhile regimen. Sadly he discovered that 5 Gin and Tonic's a day had the same anti-malarial properties.. at a fraction of the cost.

World Travel Tips
Madmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #4264
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
righto some kind of judging is on its way

ish.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #4265
lukkucairi
earth worker

umquhile: n. A person who has abruptly stopped having disturbing dreams, after a years-long stretch of nightly adventures.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #4266
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
umquhile - a honey and yoghurt mixture, usually used for breakfast, but occasionally for dessert.

Her jaw hurt so badly she couldn't chew, and had to subsist on a diet of umquhile.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #4267
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
okay i'm sure Trish would have told me to keep it brief if I had bothered to ask her, so thank you to everyone who participate please feel free to award yourself a certificate, ribbon or a book on behalf of the judge, as you see fit.

The runnering up went to razormix, despite the fact she and the judge have very different ideas about what constitutes elaborate toilet facilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12"razormix View Post

umquhile
, n.

elaborate toilet facilities of the tuareg. a wok and two truck tires are involved.
but the winner is none other than lukkucairi for the promise of a cool change encapsulated in
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukkucairi View Post
Umquhile: A Yup'ik ceremonial dance intended to bring a blizzard down upon one's enemies. Used against the Russians in 1790, 1807, and again in 1823.
And apparently
Quote:
Umquhile is an adverb meaning formerly, previously; or, former, late as in: "The Lady of the umquhile Walter de Avenel was in very weak health in the Tower of Glendearg". (From "The Fair Maid of Perth" written in 1828 by Sir Walter Scott).
so there you go.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #4268
lukkucairi
earth worker

alrighty then, the new word is

gambroon
Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #4269
lukkucairi
earth worker

*ahem*

GAMBROON

*tap tap tap*

is this thing on?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #4270
Bman
monkey

A Gambroon is a Javanese drinking song. Featuring complicated shifting rhythmic values, "gambroon!" is shouted once the singers can no longer keep count of the syllables in each line.

The worlds foremost expert on the Gambroon is the ethnomusicologist Marcus "Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty" Bales.

Last edited by Bman : 02-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #4271
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

gambroon - a gullible person of Italian descent
Old 02-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #4272
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
gambroon - One of four kinds of poems that take something of the form or style or manner of someone else's original piece: 1) Imitations, where the new writer is trying to write in the same style of an admired other writer, and no mockery is intended; 2) Response poems reply, more or less directly, to the writer/narrator of the original poems, without attempting to mock the original's form, style, or manner; 3) Parody poems that reply, more generally, to the sensibility that admires the original, in order to satirize the original and its admirers' views of it; 4) Gambroons, poems or lyrics that don't really reply to the original at all, but rather take the salient characteristics of that original for the writer's own ends. The term "gambroon" originated as a term of opprobrium at sci-fi conventions, but was embraced by practitioners so thoroughly that now a secondary meaning of "gambroon" is a word whose formerly derogatory meaning has been turned around into a term of approval.

The Brazilian

... A 2006 study called "Did the Brazilian Kill the Pubic Louse?", written by NR Armstrong and JD Wilson, of Leeds General Infirmary, wonders at the sudden rarity of pubic lice in the UK and elsewhere. Published in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, the study suggests a possible cause ... Dutch naturalist Kees Moeliker ... started a campaign to collect and preserve some specimens [of Phthiris pubis, the pubic louse] for the Rotterdam Natural History Museum, of which he is a curator. "When the bamboo forests that the giant panda lives in were cut down, the bear became threatened with extinction," ... -- Marc Abrahams, in The Guardian, Tuesday March 4, 2008

Girls, though you are tough or tender,
Fat, or medium, or slender,
Clean and sober, on a bender,
Drink it straight, or from a blender,
Free, or trussed in a suspender,
In firm control, or fond surrender,
Smooth the groove of your pudenda.
Burma Shave.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #4273
xfox
slightly effective

Gambroon n. the crew member of a pirate ship charged with guarding the booty.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #4274
Marcus Bales

gambroon - a lateen-rigged boat with out-riggers, used primarily in the Caribbean.

Hemingway and his pals used to rent a gambroon, and, after attracting sharks with chum, used Tommy-guns to shoot the fish.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #4275
Brynn
constantly amazed

gambroon - a polite social obligation that, even when phoned in, always turns out to be far more trouble than it's worth.

"Did you talk to your sister today?"
"Yes."
"I could tell. Gambroon?"
"Yes. A completely ridiculous gambroon - I think I hurt myself trying not to react when she recounted an entire Glenn Beck show."
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: