ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

ok, back to Kazaa...

I don't think that downloading music for your own personal enjoyment is anthing for the thieves at the record companies to be bitching about. They don't care about the artist, they care about getting richer. I can see them getting irked at bootleggers but whatever....

What are your thoughts on the lawsuits and such that are going on now? Do you think you are a criminal if you download files fromt he net?

this is a good point though

This type of thing makes me want to hurl and do anything possible to make it stop. It makes me want to be a cyber cop and put them all in prison. I already took the cop test and passed, I am going to a security convention this weekend to check it out...

"im sorry, i'm veclempt....talk amongst yourselves.........."

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
rmr

HOLY SHITE!!!! $2,000!!!!!

Girl, 12, Settles Piracy Suit for $2,000
Tue Sep 9, 7:19 PM ET

By TED BRIDIS, AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON - A 12-year-old girl in New York who was among the first to be sued by the record industry for sharing music over the Internet is off the hook after her mother agreed Tuesday to pay $2,000 to settle the lawsuit, apologizing and admitting that her daughter's actions violated U.S. copyright laws.
_
The hurried settlement involving Brianna LaHara, an honors student, was the first announced one day after the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) filed 261 such lawsuits across the country. Lawyers for the RIAA said Brianna's mother, Sylvia Torres, contacted them early Tuesday to negotiate.

"We understand now that file-sharing the music was illegal," Torres said in a statement distributed by the recording industry. "You can be sure Brianna won't be doing it anymore."

Brianna added: "I am sorry for what I have done. I love music and don't want to hurt the artists I love."

The case against Brianna was a potential minefield for the music industry from a public relations standpoint. The family lives in a city housing project on New York's Upper West Side, and they said they mistakenly believed they were entitled to download music over the Internet because they had paid $29.99 for software that gives them access to online file-sharing services.

Even in the hours before the settlement was announced, Brianna was emerging as an example of what critics said was overzealous enforcement by the powerful music industry.

The top lawyer for Verizon Communications Inc. charged earlier Tuesday during a Senate hearing that music lawyers had resorted to a "campaign against 12-year-old girls" rather than trying to help consumers turn to legal sources for songs online. Verizon's Internet subsidiary is engaged in a protracted legal fight against the RIAA over copyright subpoenas sent Verizon customers.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., also alluded to Brianna's case.

"Are you headed to junior high schools to round up the usual suspects?" Durbin asked RIAA President Cary Sherman during a Senate Judiciary hearing.

Durbin said he appreciated the piracy threat to the recording industry, but added, "I think you have a tough public relations campaign to go after the offenders without appearing heavy-handed in the process."

Sherman responded that most people don't shoplift because they fear they'll be arrested.

"We're trying to let people know they may get caught, therefore they should not engage in this behavior," Sherman said. "Yes, there are going to be some kids caught in this, but you'd be surprised at how many adults are engaged in this activity."
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:02 AM   #3
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Who do you think leaks the stuff out? Who has access...Question Athori-TI!!

-Dr. Seuss
Old 09-10-2003, 12:13 AM   #4
rmr

I have no clue but this is insane......she's a 12 year old girl downloading tv theme songs. Is this really what our judical system should be focusing on?

Where are our PRIORI TIES???

I ask you that??

This is really making me sick.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #5
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Let's not create more jobs.

Let's not feed hungry people.

Let's not get the economy going again.

Let's sue a 12 yr old for d/ling music off the goddam f*cking internet.

America the Beautiful.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:55 AM   #6
rapscalious rob

They’re making an example of her. By indicting a 12 year old girl, they are in effect saying that nobody is safe, that the long arm of the law will reach right into your house and put you, your spouse, or even your 12 year old daughter in the shackles of justice for the crime of downloading music.

There is a point to the madness, that being that the industry has been steadily losing money for years. Why? It began with napster. Now file sharing is ubiquitous and people of every demographic are using this new technology. Meanwhile record companies struggle harder than ever before to get new albums sold. “Who’s doing this to us,” they think. The answer: everyone. Teenage kids, soccer moms, and even granddaddies. So they go after everybody in an effort to bring back the bottom line.

In the end, this effort is misguided. The technology appears to be here to stay. Rather than fight it and alienate people, the wiser choice would be to embrace it. The problem then is, where does the money come from? Well, we are all familiar with the omnipresent advertising that keeps things like webmail free, right? So for the price of downloading free music, since that’s what we seem to want, we’ll get forcefed advertisements.

Did I just make a leap of logic there? I do believe I did. What do you think?
Old 09-10-2003, 03:10 AM   #7
catbelly
monkey

I think you are right, Rapscalious one... because that really is the crux of the problem - that the money is no longer flowing in the paths it used to. It's like someone suddenly figured out a way to divert the river and bypass the infrastucture, and, instead of figuring out how to cope with it, the city officials are still trying to charge tax on water.

I am worried about the advertising... I don't want to see music and artists becoming even more like products created by focus groups who are aiming at the biggest widest fattest market. Bleah.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #8
bealeblues
where's my salt?

Quote:
originally posted by rmr
Where are our PRIORI TIES???
i'm sorry, but i read this hearing a cartman voice. i had to laugh.

now back to your debate.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Yeah, but how is it that you pay $30 to use Kazaa and then get sued!??!??!?!?! Shouldn't they be going after Kazaa and not the user?

I still pay $30-$50 to see a band I like, I support the artist!

-Dr. Seuss
Old 09-10-2003, 03:15 PM   #10
Frieda
in limbo

of course they shouldn't go after kazaa. you can't sue ford either because you were speeding while driving in one and got a ticket.

it's your own responsibility! you can download, but you can't share. it's the sharing that's wrong, according to the RIAA.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #11
Frieda
in limbo

kazaa plus costs 30 dollars, the regular and lite version are free!

oh yeah
Old 09-10-2003, 04:01 PM   #12
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
You pay to use Kazaa? Huh? Am I missing something here?

No, I don't pay, I downloaded it when it first came out and was free. I have heard that now it is like $30 though. That little girl that got sued paid for it.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 09-10-2003, 05:48 PM   #13
Frieda
in limbo

lite has no advertisements, the version that costs money has more options.. no idea what options actually.. haha..

kazaa

oh yeah
Old 09-11-2003, 02:21 AM   #14
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Angry

The real issue is the price of a new CD. $15? You got to be jerking my beefaroni.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 07:00 AM   #15
RuneT
baaaaah?

Thanks to the record company’s mostly bland popular music playing repeatedly on MTV, radio etc. New artists or new sound/music has a fat chance to get a label because they aren’t guaranteed to sell.
Radio stations, TV, etc is controlled by the record companies. Popularity is planned, is heavily sponsored and has little to do with quality. Based upon predicted sales results the next hits and sounds are planned without even considering new and innovative artists. What has music got to do with it?
Popular artists depend on this aggressive marketing in order to compete with other similar artist using the exact same marketing. Still, the artists are willing to pay for it, resulting in too expensive CD’s.
Compare a CD to a DVD. A DVD cost much more to make and most films are heavily marketed too. Why do they almost cost the same?
A live recording of a band, 24 bit sound, 10-15 songs + live pictures and interviews cost almost the same as a studio recorded CD. Why?

When I buy an album, why don’t I get the rights for that album? The only rights I get is for that particular CD. Why do I have to pay for the rights all over again if I want the same album on a different media?

I blame the record companies and one zillion naive buyers actually buying stuff that’s already playing on the radio 60 times a day.

**** you RIAA, Tono, etc

*double-clicking kazaa lite*

RuneT, respect!!

Last edited by RuneT : 09-11-2003 at 12:41 PM.
RuneT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: