ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2003, 06:58 PM   #16
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
I was taught that you take a soup-sized spoon, place it in the bottom of the bowl, put your fork into the spaghetti, and twist it into the spoon until it makes a nice little ball around the fork. Pick up, eat.

However, it's my opinion that there's really no graceful way of eating spaghetti ... it usually gets all over, and you and your guests have that garlic breath thing going on afterwards.
use basil pesto instead of garlic, serve strong espresso afterwards, nothing sweet! it neutralises the spices!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 07:11 PM   #17
rapscalious rob

I never knew about all this spoon business…

I’ve always eaten pasta with just the fork. Sometimes I transfer the pasta onto some garlic bread and have a “pasta sandwich.”

Agent:
do you wear goggles to prevent getting pasta, cilantro, romano, and sauce in your eyes? Or do you just use your second eyelids, like a wild jungle cat on the kill? Do you have massive callouses on your hands to protect them from the heat? Are they like the paws of a lioness?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:24 PM   #18
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters

Didn't know that Frieda, good to know. The bf LOVE garlic ... so much so that sometimes I can smell it coming out of his pores hours later. He eats cloves whole. Blech.
haha! i have a friend that does that too.. if he makes garlic sauce, it actually tingles on your tongue making it all numb.. haha!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #19
catbelly
monkey

Hey everyone~

I use the fork-in-the-right and spoon-in-the-left, twirl strands in bowl, use fork to eat rolled up portion method.

I asked my italian friend if that was correct and he said to use just the fork, twirling the portion using the bottom of the plate/bowl as a guide. He told me the spoon thing is more formal - as in at a wedding.

I like the spoon so I'm keepin' it! I can eat a mile a minute
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #20
catbelly
monkey

Hey everyone~

I use the fork-in-the-right and spoon-in-the-left, twirl strands in bowl, use fork to eat rolled up portion method.

I asked my italian friend if that was correct and he said to use just the fork, twirling the portion using the bottom of the plate/bowl as a guide. He told me the spoon thing is more formal - as in at a wedding.

Old 11-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #21
catbelly
monkey

Hey everyone~

Old 11-10-2003, 12:29 AM   #22
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I am a big focking wop. My father is 100% Italian. These are my credentials.

Before I put the angel hair (the only kind I eat at home) in the boiling water, I break it in half. This cuts down on twirling time considerably.

I eat it w/a salad fork. I eat everything w/a salad fork. I am right-handed, and I twirl. I use freshly grated parmesan on most pasta dishes.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:32 AM   #23
catbelly
monkey

Holy shit, look at the triple post!! WTF!! sorry about that. I actually thought the board wasn't accepting any of my posts so I just gave up (after three tries, ahem ahem).

Oops.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:43 AM   #24
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

first, this
http://www.mangiarebene.net/marina/c...etiquette.html

then this
When talking about commonly asked questions, someone named Bedour says she frequently is asked how to eat spaghetti properly._ She laughs, saying, “I always tell them that if they are dining with someone for whom they are trying to make a good impression, don’t order it at all._ You can roll a few strands at a time with your fork against the edge of your plate, but truthfully, there is no easy way to eat spaghetti no matter what.”

I personally, try to cook 1 - 4 and a half mile long noodle, then put one end in my mouth, then suck like I'm trying to reel in a golf ball thru a garden hose. Not only am I well fed, It's improved my marriage. And got me a better score on the going to hell thread.
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:08 AM   #25
lemon
monkey

No spoon. I never do it politely. Fork in right hand, shove it in the spag, twist, pick up fork, continue to twist till it's as neat as possible, eat.
lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:31 AM   #26
RuneT
baaaaah?

How to do it:

Spoons are for chickens. You take the fork in your LEFT hand (if you are lefthanded) twirl a couple of strands until you have enough spaghetti on the fork.

then

you slide the fork sideways on the pate while while its bent down slightly and try to nab something firm. stab it and move the fork towards your mouth. there will be 5 cm of spaghetti hanging off your fork but that doesn't matter. as you twirl 45 degrees when inserting into mouth.

This is easy and classy. Who needs a sissy spoon?

Advanced lesson:
Twirl the spaghetti half way, stab it with your fork and start twirling the other way. this will create a a more stable and transport friendly portion.

Being mean:
Add tons of olive oil to the drained spaghetti and give your guests a fork only and tiny napkins. If they are hungry enough, they will slurp. Enjoy.

RuneT, respect!!
RuneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:13 PM   #27
catbelly
monkey

Rune is the cheeky monkey of spaghetti land!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:16 PM   #28
catbelly
monkey

Rune is the cheeky monkey of spaghetti land!
Old 11-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #29
agentsmith
rap geisha

Quote:
Originally posted by rapscalious rob
Agent:
do you wear goggles to prevent getting pasta, cilantro, romano, and sauce in your eyes? Or do you just use your second eyelids, like a wild jungle cat on the kill? Do you have massive callouses on your hands to protect them from the heat? Are they like the paws of a lioness?
i have panther paws, yes, and my authentic mask made of human skin has retractable eye covers for spaghetti eating.

Quote:
no chain saws involved??
only when eating with three or more people.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #30
lapietra
half baked

lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: