ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
slurpeedemon
who's there, please?

Antimatter

If you aren't pleased with the level of intelligence or education of this thread, or board, for that matter, why don't you take yourself somewhere where you're among your (*ahem*) peers? Or do you just like hanging out with a bunch of muddling doofuses like us because your (*snerk*) esteemed peers have made things uncomfortable for you?

Perhaps you'll offer that you have no peers, that you're, shall we say, peerless. You like things that way, do you? Keep it up. You'll be guaranteed a lifetime of solitude, maybe marked by moments of misleading comraderie, only to find that the only reason people want to be around you for any length of time is that they think they can get something from you. Sure, you might be surrounded by lots of *stuff* - see if that (and your quest to be the only right person in the room) will comfort you in your old age...

Anyone care to comment?
slurpeedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:26 PM   #2
Frieda
in limbo

yeah, don't feed the troll. that's all

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #3
Antimatter

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA
Old 10-21-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Frieda
in limbo

that's pretty big

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
rapscalious rob

The solution is simple: the “ignore” function was made for precisely this kind of situation. You see that the person has posted, but to view the actual post, you have to click on a link.

Following catbelly’s lead, I have added antimatter to my ignore list-- the first time I’ve had occasion use this feature-- and I must say, it makes reading the debate forum a lot nicer.

Just a suggestion…
Old 10-21-2003, 08:41 PM   #6
catbelly
monkey

Yah, I am not really used to the "ignore" function, I come from a land where that does not exist... so I would just ignore on my own. This is cool, the threads actually make sense and don't get all stretched out with trolliness and it's easier to read the posts I want to read.

It makes for interesting questions about community, though... has anyone ever read "A rape in cyberspace" by Julian Dibbell?

http://www.juliandibbell.com/texts/bungle.html

It's about an online community (LambdaMOO) that had a criminally dysfunctional member who harrassed others - staging rapes, as you can guess from the title - to the point where the members got together and voted to have him permanently expelled.

Anyway, much as I am enjoying the "ignore" function today, I wonder if it limits community growth by not allowing us to experience the trolliness as a group, and giving us an opportunity to act as a group. Not that we have to do that, it's just a ... how to say this ... a sign of maturity of a community? That a community has enough stabiltiy and substructure that the citizens/members can act together and reach consensus.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:51 PM   #7
Antimatter

I run this community now
Old 10-21-2003, 10:27 PM   #8
malina
leaving

i don't understand why you're making him a topic
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #9
slurpeedemon
who's there, please?

Well... maybe it's because I have an opinion about Antimatter that I wanted to air, and thought it might be nice to have a thread where others could also share their opinions about our troll - or any other troll for that matter. Maybe I should have called this thread "Trolls", instead of making it personal. My bad.

Anyway - all s/he wants is attention, anyway, and, being a relatively generous person, I thought I'd supply some. I needed a good vent, myself.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
malina
leaving

you have a good heart
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #11
Red Princess
thread soiler

i like the counterpoint of others. even if i do not agree with them and think i would probably not want to sit and have a beer with some people it is ok with me if they post what they think.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:34 PM   #12
catbelly
monkey

I like counterpoint if it's *real* counterpoint, i.e. productive comments that make sense in the context of a conversation. IMO trolls that trash other posters and seem to be posting for attention by being abrasive don't contribute anything meaningful. It's like being at a house party where someone takes a squat on the rug just to piss people off, or starts a fight just to be a jerk.
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 PM   #13
slurpeedemon
who's there, please?

I agree with all of you -

Don't know if you noticed I brought up Wally George - he was a talk show host popular in the 80's who had a show in the same vein as Jerry Springer's - except his modus operandi was to bring experts in their field on his show and insult them into speechlessness. I guess the object of the "game" was for the expert to keep their cool long enough to make their point before their outrage made it impossible to think clearly.

Most trolls, I've discovered, are kind of like Mr. George - they're usually pretty ignorant and insecure, and go around trashing everyone, but never seem to have anything useful or intelligent to say themselves... some have perfected the art of the insult, which I guess is something, though I can't really think what a useful application of that would be except to defend oneself against verbal abuse... and not really the best way to do that anyway.

If a counterpoint is spot-on and intelligently worded, I love to read it - no matter how annoying the speaker or writer - but verbal abuse is merely annoying and contributes nothing.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #14
Red Princess
thread soiler

i hear you.
but at the end of the day it IS just a message board.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:07 PM   #15
Antimatter

except that I've already contributed more intelligent posts than the rest of you put together

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: