ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 61 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #1
dalang
distant

state of mind

nominate this- bring it on, flyboy and co. this is peace: piece of me. piece of you. pieces of others, skipping off the desert road.

state says is not sure, history judge me forthwith. Living history now, walk among those who judge in living, in dying. walk with us for a while.
dalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:13 AM   #2
rapscalious rob

When I close my eyes, when I walk away, drive through a billion tons of concrete and steel, always I see pictures of you. And you.

Friends among friends. I smile at your smile.

Colors swirl in a bubble floating upwards past the buildings. I feel the earth move, I feel the tumbling down the tumbling down there

is no going back now. Life skips, always new, like a jazz tune, like a sunset or a leaf. No time. Like the present.

Look at the changing of the leaves, the shifting of the clouds, the darkening and lightening of the sky. One, two, one, two, dark, light, day, night.

Friends, or bubbles in the river, touching as they spiral upwards. On or off, off or on, on and on, here then gone. We have never met before, nor will we ever afterwards.

So farewell, and hello.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
rapscalious rob

Dry bones in the desert. The low rumble of bulldozers, or tanks; the infrasonic bomb boom that hits your chest like a fist. A drop of sweat hits the sand. Elsewhere, a man shouts in a microphone, talking of changes in the wind, talking of the day in November when he will hold the reins that guide the muscle of a nation. The data flows, ripples in time, waves upon waves, containing a million eyes. Somebody asks why. Machine guns growl in the tropical heat and another dissenter falls. Two men in suits shake hands in front of the cameras, in front of watchful eyes around the world, and billions of dollars are exchanged. A baby cries. A car screeches not quite in time, plowing with a resounding metallic boom into another car in which a man was driving home from work. He awakes to the blue and red and white and orange flashes of police cars, ambulances and stopped traffic, and a name is uttered and forgotten. A flower in the dirt opens up to receive a bee. A man in a suit tells a joke, and laughter erupts from a million mouths around the world, lit by a blue phosphorescent glow. A tree creaks in the wind. Somewhere in the distance, two stars collide as a galaxy comes crashing into another galaxy. A child ties her shoe, and runs home to be held by her mother.

Last edited by rapscalious rob : 02-12-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
In the grey world, rain and concrete, footpaths and underfunded bitumen. The people let the rain on them. The doors are closed and I am inside. The playgrounds hard and empty. So much anger and soccer. Windows of white. The table is set for one. Books accumulate in boxes and under newspapers. Empty envelopes have arrived in number. They are full with money. I see words moving and they say we are all so wonderful. I don't know anything anymore. There was a child, he has gone. We used to meet and watch our lives flow by. Time eroded an entire world away. The seasons I saw, appeared as static. Then in a cold street, there is so much milky coffee. I crunched all the numbers. They came to zero. The clocks working invisibly. Months are skipped. I couldn't tell. The colour green was missing.

You are purple and brown and black. You move through doorways. In my dreams there are thoughts. I awake to find myself already awake. I saw you move from light to dark. Walking and talking together, in another place. I remember, this day comes. And later, we are at the underneath. I show you where the wild things are. The dead world grows so madly tropical. Then, what I felt. The boy is the king of monsters. There is warmth in space. Across the river and in the cathedral, it's all good.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
rapscalious rob

Soft sentences from full lips tickle my ear as I look out the
window, the cars drive down the street below. A man walks out of a café with a styrofoam cup.
Her bosom presses against my back. Her hands hold my stomach and my chest.
The man walks by the newstand, picks up a paper. Stops.
“What are you looking at?” she whispers. “Honey love.”
The conversation continues. A letter is exchanged. He continues to his car.
“Nothing,” I reply. “Nothing, my chocolate truffle.” My hands slide against hers.
The man enters the car and drives away. A bus stops.
“Then come back to bed with me. Valentine.”
The door opens, people enter the bus. I close the curtains and follow her into the darkness.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
rapscalious rob

Again, with the endless stores. A life’s work, for sale. People stop and look at the displays for a moment, until a pointing finger leads them onwards. Out the back door, to the parking lot. A fig tree. The clatter of dishes and the din of many voices.

Break your attention again. A pearl fish on a necklace, a sunny day. Overweight men walking as slowly as ancient Buddhist monks, on the shady side of the street. He walks ahead and falls behind, like the ocean waves where surfers set sail. Fuzzy muzzy bellies, contented burps.

What is the point of all this? A squirrel runs up a tree and chitters to itself. A dog notices and barks, scratching at the tree, until an owner’s firm tug rips its attention away.

Perhaps, amid the ages of sand, or maybe in the shifting colors of leaves, you could find an answer. Here there are no answers. Only unanswered questions. And lost socks.

Somewhere yesterday, a heart-shaped pepperoni pizza brought a smile to someone’s face; a farcical celebration of an icon of love. Maybe if you look closely, the pepperonis spell something. Maybe not. It’s really hard to tell.

For now, I lie in the darkess of this tiny hour of the morning, dreaming of sleep.

Last edited by rapscalious rob : 02-15-2004 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
dalang
distant

at once and only Today, there's a tinny piece of the puzzle on display. The One Piece shimmers and glows under the radiance of our eyes.

We watch furiously, The One Piece dancing for us on the brink of a moment, and then no more. Every single piece has a time slot, for there is no other time like the now in the movement. The other pieces wait, played out or waiting to shine, all faded in the big picture, nearly disappear under the glow of The One Piece story.

Suddenly The One Piece story falls away, becoming Another Noteworthy Other News. And then it's gone.

we watch furiously.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #8
masterofNone
________

and on and on, sailing from home port to any port in the storm, she tacks without tactic. she hums a song a friend once wrote in three minutes on the piano in her grandmothers sitting room. "your room's a mess, you'd never guess, your story had a plot." funny that. funny song. funnier that now, in the now that is now, that little ditty should emerge as a cascade of quiet emotion. before her bow an ocean of infinite possibilities, overhead clearing storms, behind her a world of shadow. anon, anon. sing me to my sleep.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #9
dalang
distant

curious thing about daylight- guiding stars pale against the backdrop of the bouncing baby blue sky.

and even more so in the winter rain.

"you should have taken an umbrella", the little boy smiles at the wet head sitting opposite of him, the same head who dove too deep in the pool for "Go Fish".

flickering guides of starlight would really matter little, if only the craft's moral compass was working. somewhere along the way, the pole's reversed and it's been jammed ever since.

we go fishing and wait for the wind to return.

Ship's Log 209: Blowing on the jib makes one very tired. Static on the radio turns to a happy tune. Perhaps it is from a radio station on an island not too far away. Yet, there is still no land in sight.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:16 AM   #10
masterofNone
________

on the boat, noah let loose the doves. an olive branch came back. a sign of land was clutched firmly in the white birds grasp. his family clung to it as firmly as the skies cleared and the water receded and the tops of the mountains slowly revealed themselves.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #11
rapscalious rob

Mountains, or buildings, as a genuine mission.
I tried to see to the top, but the big fluffy white clouds
got in the way.
A seagull flies up above the clouds.

It would be a long long way to fall, I think
into the restless waters below.
A long way, past the geckos clinging to the wall
past the sound of shouting cab drivers, the honk of car horns,
the splash of wave meeting wave
The high-pitched cry of a seagull, the creak of wood…
To the deep
where the fish have to be ugly and deformed to survive
where no light ever reaches

even deeper, oxygen is poison. It’s like an alien landscape, all those colors.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #12
masterofNone
________

she sends one liners that make my heart race and head pound. settle down. do you like filling out forms. are you wearing your seat belt. bats in that belfry i say. a swarm that blackens the chattenooga twilight sky. i'm eating a rollo and grinning.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #13
rapscalious rob

A world of gray and blue, the pitter-pat of rain on rooftops, the way light reflects off the skin of water on the pavement, straight lines streaming downward. This is the world beneath an airborne ocean. A primordial seaborne breeze.

Water from the sky; a simple miracle. The brown hills have turned green again, and the neglected flowerpots in the front yard are overgrown with clover and lemongrass. Rivers on H street. Soon there will be an ant exodus; they will invade the office, fall prey to the stubborn encampments of daddy longlegs that have made their home here.

Elsewhere, the subtle unraveling of worn threads. The rainbow swirls of oily puddles in the gutter. Worms tunnel upwards and exhume themselves to the shock of light and wind of the surface world. The streets here have no drainage system. The light filters through; everything is tinged in blue and gray.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 AM   #14
rapscalious rob

Kill me in shades of music. The world is a bubbling beach on a stormy night. Drops of water falling from the sky, still. Sometimes amid happiness. Or.

Sense inexorably the encroaching infinity of worlds colliding, fusing, uniting. Always, juice for juice, cell for cell, we are fighting. Sometimes when the wind flows just so, I become a tethered kite. Especially at night.

Drops of water, rain. The clouds, full and bright, fluffy white, placid islands amid the blue, precursors of the gusty torrent to come. Awakening from the dying leaves, a green grotto of renascence. Sometimes the wind is the voice of the wilderness calling. The watchful eye of the hawk.

Familiar shadows
Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 AM   #15
rapscalious rob

Ask me next time, and maybe I’ll say yes. Eggwiches with chedder cheese, a cold december breeze. Quit it. Questions that decide the questions of a question. “In one ear, out the other.” The hum of bumblebees in the parking lot. This carpet has stains that will never come out; the all nighter last month. Modulate Demodulate Beep Tweedletweedlebooo. Clean your room. Kiss me now, you bastard. More. A falling moon, cockroaches from the past. Paintbrushes. Fast.

Last edited by rapscalious rob : 05-15-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: