ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > CURRENT EVENTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
Avalon

News Corp. cancels O.J. Simpson book and TV special

Posted on Mon, Nov. 20, 2006

News Corp. cancels O.J. Simpson book and TV special

(AP) -- After a firestorm of criticism, News. Corp. said Monday that it has canceled the O.J. Simpson book and TV special If I Did It.
''I and senior management agree with the American public that this was an ill-considered project,'' said Rupert Murdoch, News Corp. chairman. ``We are sorry for any pain that this has caused the families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson.''
A dozen Fox affiliates had already said they would not air the two-part sweeps month special, planned for next week before the Nov. 30 publication of the book by ReganBooks. The publishing house is a HarperCollins imprint owned -- like the Fox network -- by News Corp.
In both the book and show, Simpson speaks in hypothetical terms about how he would have committed the 1994 slayings of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman.
Relatives of the victims have lashed out at the now scuttled publication and broadcast plans.
''He destroyed my son and took from my family Ron's future and life. And for that I'll hate him always and find him despicable,'' Fred Goldman told ABC last week.
The industry trade publication Broadcasting & Cable editorialized against the show Monday, saying ``Fox should cancel this evil sweeps stunt.''
One of the nation's largest superstore chains, Borders Group Inc., said last week it would donate any profits on the book to charity.
Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murder in a case that became its own TV drama. The former football star and announcer was later found liable for the deaths in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the Goldman family.
Judith Regan, publisher of If I Did It, said she considered the book to be Simpson's confession.
The television special was to air on two of the final three nights of the November sweeps, when ratings are watched closely to set local advertising rates. It has been a particularly tough fall for Fox, which has seen none of its new shows catch on and is waiting for the January bows of American Idol and 24.
The closest precedent for such an about-face came when CBS yanked a miniseries about Ronald Reagan from its schedule in 2003 when complaints were raised about its accuracy. The Reagan series was seen on its sister premium-cable channel, Showtime, instead.
One station manager who had said he wasn't airing the special said he was concerned that whether or not Simpson was guilty, he'd still be profiting from murders.
''I have my own moral compass and this was easy,'' said Bill Lamb, general manager of WDRB in Louisville.
For the publishing industry, the cancellation of If I Did It was an astonishing end to a story like no other. Numerous books have been withdrawn over the years because of possible plagiarism, most recently Kaavya Viswanathan's ''How Opal Mehta Got Kissed, Got Wild, and Got a Life,'' but a book's removal simply for objectionable content is virtually unheard of.
Sales had been strong, but not sensational. If I Did It cracked the top 20 of Amazon.com last weekend, but by Monday afternoon, at the time its cancellation had been announced, the book had fallen to No. 51.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 11-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
auntie aubrey
excursions

i'm both shocked and relieved. unfortunately, o.j. probably already received and cashed his advances from both the book and TV contracts.

personally, i hope his victims' families sue him again and rob him of whatever money he made in this endeavor.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:36 AM   #3
yvonnepar

OJ Simpson book

I had hoped to find a message board to comment on the "non" release of this book. It is my opionion only, that this book should have been sold, and what the dealers did with the proceeds was their business. I thought there was "freedom of speech" and "the press" in the US?? Yes the crime was heinous, but was it more heinous than any other crime that has been written about? How about Helter Skelter? How about books written about Dahmer and Gacy? Was it fair to THEIR families to dredge it all up again? What makes the Browns and the Goldman's any different than other victims families? Movies are made years after crimes, yet the families must relive that nightmare yet again. My bet is while no one wants to admit they would read this book, that they would run to the nearest bookstore and grab it. Had it been sold, check ebay and see what they would go for?? People like to read about such sordid things, as sad as it is.....and after all..he did say it was "hypothetical". Let the reader decide that. The media jumps all over other sordid messes, like Anna Nicoles son's death, or the Karr crap concerning Jon Benet. The media was quick to splash that all over TV..and what did he do?? HYPOTHETICALLY admit to killing the child? What is the difference between the Simpson book and this?? Nothing. There are dead people and if it would clear things up for those of you who wish to know the details of how OJ got away with murder, so be it. Myself, I'd love to get some questions answered...and maybe this book might explain it? Like where he hid the weapon and his bloody clothes? Its closure...and I don't think FOX or anyone else has the right to take away another persons right on what they would like to read. Publish the book...if it doesn't sell 2 copies...great...he makes no money...and neither do the Goldmans. My bet is it will go through the roof and the public isn't ready to admit that. I would prefer to make my own choices of what I can read...unless it is illegal...it should be published.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
auntie aubrey
excursions

what hideous formatting. i'm not reading your post.

edit

although i did see you quoted "freedom of the press." hi, let me introduce you to the idea of free enterprise. it was the publisher's right to either print or retract the book. it was fox's right to either run or pull the program.

FREEDOM OF THE PRESS refers to government intervention. GOVERNMENT. not private companies. government.

government.

please bear this in mind.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
zenbabe
Lollypop!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A judge ordered on Tuesday that rights to O.J. Simpson's aborted book, "If I Did It," be sold at auction to help satisfy a civil judgment against the former football star -- meaning the book could find its way into stores.

The ruling comes four months after Simpson's book about how he could have committed the 1994 murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ron Goldman, was scrubbed by News Corp. media tycoon Rupert Murdoch.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Gerald Rosenberg's decision comes at the request of Ron Goldman's father, Fred Goldman, who expressed outrage at the original publication of "If I Did It" and now finds himself putting the manuscript back into circulation.

Reuters Pictures

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

"The Goldmans were horrified as to the content, but the real horror was that Simpson was profiting," Goldman's lawyer, David Cook, said. "O.J. is now on the block. On the right hand we get to sell the book, and on the left we get the money."

Cook said Goldman did not necessarily want the book published but had determined that the rights to "If I Did It" were one of Simpson's few "visible assets." The auction could be held within 30 days, Cook said.

Simpson's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment.

The former U.S. football star, who parlayed his fame as an athlete into a Hollywood career, was acquitted of the June 12, 1994, murders of his ex-wife and Goldman after a sensational trial that transfixed much of the United States.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
music4relief

that is horrible...i still think he is guilty just had amazing lawyers... to me it was beyond a reasonable doubt.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
no. he was probably guilty, but the cops were definitely a
bunch of racist morons. why not blame them?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

The cops killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman! That is news.

(I guess this is what OJ meant by finding the real killers!)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #9
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
i meant blame them for his acquittal (sp?), not the murder.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

Bill Maher put it best.
The LAPD couldn't frame a guilty man.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: