Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #16
Mik
Registered Abuser

I've only met a few races here
in space
they're ok

I can say I'd much rather have the diversity than have to stare at only the little bumpy pink ones all day.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #17
Brynn
constantly amazed

Sorry, but it's not all hearts and flowers out there

Sorry about the long post -

In Texas, my grandparents were "subtle" racists while talking privately at home I think anyone who extrapolates characteristics about a group in general based on the actions of a few individuals is prejudiced/racist.

I've experienced a few unpleasant assumptions/generalizations made about me that made me feel badly. It in no way compares to what victims of racism experience every day, but if the mere slights I've experienced hurt me as much as they did, I can only imagine what it's like for others up against real prejudice.

I think that a lot of people have a certain amount of racism in them, whether they admit it or not, but I'm with Brightpearl - there's plenty to deal with people as individuals without having to extend our complaints to entire groups of people.

My grandparents would never have thought about themselves as racists - out in public, and when dealing with people on a one-to-one basis, they were very kind to everyone, but I'm sure that just the fact that the racism existed at all affected decisions and relationships. Their private attitudes changed with time - I hope and pray that most people grew in awareness during the sixties and seventies, but I think there still are pockets of racism that are definitely alive and well. Just look at the Michael Richards incident, or that Imus character, or Mel Gibson and his anti-semitism. They all deny it, but what comes out of our mouths "accidently" is a pretty good indicator of what we hide in our hearts.

I was five during the race riots in Georgia, and living on a Marine Corps base. My family was ostracized for socializing with the African-American family next door to us, and I distinctly remember my father sitting us down and having a strict talk with us about racism and about trying not to absorb the culture acround us that we were stuck in after my older sister was beat up for being a "n-lover." I saw some ugly things that white kids did to black kids at that age, and never forgot them.

Given all that, I was shocked and disgusted to find racist attitudes developing inside me when I lived in Manhatten for a while - it was entirely based on two aggressive incidents in particular by people who hated me on sight, and on my fears of being a teenager alone in NYC in general. I knew it was irrational at the time, and I'm not proud of it.

Los Angeles, for all its claims of multi-culturalism, is one of the most segregated cities I have ever lived in, enforced mostly by the police. Plus, I waited tables every day with otherwise "enlightened" servers - in nice restaurants - who spoke bitterly about their African-American customers. I personally never had a problem, and feel that they brought a bad attitude to the table to begin with that earned them bad tips, but they swore up and down that it wasn't so, and that they "weren't racist."

Portland, Oregon's a little better, but once in the nineties, I actually worked for a woman in a dress store who specifically told me to "stay close to the blacks who come in so they don't shoplift." I refused and quit.

People are going to clash no matter what over all kinds of things, but racism is a particular subject that should be talked about openly and honestly, and unfortunately isn't.

If you feel you are experiencing racism in some situations, topcat, I'm sure you are. It's kind of hard to miss.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
topcat
monkey

the word i wanted to use was "subltle' thanks brynn. your post reminds me of a joke i heard. whats the difference between a black woman and a canoe? a canoe tips. you made a nice post brynn. i hope all the people who said no read it.

This is an internet bulletin board.

Nothing more. Nothing less
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
Frieda
in limbo

are you a racist, topcat?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn View Post
I think anyone who extrapolates characteristics about a group in general based on the actions of a few individuals is prejudiced/racist.
well then let's just lay it out on the table. everyone makes judgments. and the human brain seeks to extrapolate. every single person on god's green earth (as an atheist i use that expression loosely) passes judgment and applies stereotypes based on however he/she comes to terms with the volumes on information and interaction experienced on a daily basis.

if we're going to be completely honest, i'd call bullshit on anyone who said a firm uncompromising "no" to topcat's question. okay, so maybe we don't all pass judgment based on race, sometimes it's based on gender, or the kind of car someone drives ("ugh, i hate hummer drivers!"), or the zip code they live in, or their religion, or a million other ways in which people can be subdivided and classified. we just aren't typically aware of how it comes out of our mouths.

i think a better question than "are you racist" is "are you anything-ist" racist, sexist, ageist, whatever, it's all borne of the same judgmental crap. racism isn't inherently better or worse than all of the other ways in which you can diminish the individuality of any particular person.

and every one of us is subject to that weakness, at some point in our lives, in some way, whether subtle or blatant. and i'll admit that i do it. most times i think it makes for great comedy and that's my intent. if i call someone a jeep-driving frat bro, it's generally a humorous poke. but it's still judgemental and -ist of me.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
what is the point of this thread?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #22
auntie aubrey
excursions

don't be pointist.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #23
rapscalious rob
Have a Gorilla.

You go skipping and prancing through life, skipping through a field of dandelions. But what you donít see is that on each dandelion is a bee, and on each bee is an ant, and the ant is biting the bee and the bee is biting the flower, and if that shocks you then Iím sorry.
rapscalious rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:21 PM   #24
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
yes, i prefer the looks of indonesian/japanese/chinese men.

Thats pretty much what I meant by "maybe". I have just come to prefer the looks of African and Asian women. (...although pink Dutch women are ok in my book too. )

Excellent posts Brynn and Aunti.
I agree completely and have nothing to add.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 PM   #25
topcat
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
are you a racist, topcat?
in a one word answer. yes.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #26
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
are you a racist? a simple yes or no will do.
I said no and got shit for that. I'm a humanist. Anyone can piss me off. Hell!! I live in Trenton!! But I don't hate anyone! Mosquitoes, poison ivy and the beer guzzling late-summer killer bees I truly hate.

I'm pissed off now so I am going to have a piece of my home-made peach pie with an extra spoon of vanilla ice cream and not going to share it any of you other ass-hole humans.

topcat please explain the yes. (and the pie is delish!!!)

Last edited by Jack Flanders : 08-28-2007 at 02:05 AM. Reason: gluttony and still pissed off
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 AM   #27
topcat
monkey

please go to venting angry thread.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM   #28
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

no I'm still busy with my dessert.

Last edited by Jack Flanders : 08-28-2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: go away!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 AM   #29
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flanders View Post
I said no and got shit for that.
and here we come to the point of the thread...
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #30
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
^^^
to upset jack?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: