Old 01-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #751
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

without computers only one person in the world would have ever "got" me

gotten?
Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #752
xfox
slightly effective

Are others allowed to post here? If so, now I get it.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #753
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

Dictionary
the |πē; πə| [called the definite article ]
adjective
1 denoting one or more people or things already mentioned or assumed to be common knowledge : what's the matter? | call the doctor | the phone rang. Compare with a .
• used to refer to a person, place, or thing that is unique : the Queen | the Mona Lisa | the Nile.
• informal denoting a disease or affliction : I've got the flu.
• (with a unit of time) the present; the current : dish of the day | man of the moment.
• informal used instead of a possessive to refer to someone with whom the speaker or person addressed is associated : I'm meeting the boss | how's the family?
• used with a surname to refer to a family or married couple : the Johnsons were not wealthy.
• used before the surname of the chief of a Scottish or Irish clan : the O'Donoghue.
2 used to point forward to a following qualifying or defining clause or phrase : the fuss that he made of her | the top of a bus | I have done the best I could.
• (chiefly with rulers and family members with the same name) used after a name to qualify it : George the Sixth | Edward the Confessor | Jack the Ripper.
3 used to make a generalized reference to something rather than identifying a particular instance : he taught himself to play the violin | worry about the future.
• used with a singular noun to indicate that it represents a whole species or class : they placed the African elephant on their endangered list.
• used with an adjective to refer to those people who are of the type described : the unemployed.
• used with an adjective to refer to something of the class or quality described : they are trying to accomplish the impossible.
• used with the name of a unit to state a rate : they can do 120 miles to the gallon.
4 enough of (a particular thing) : he hoped to publish monthly, if only he could find the money.
5 (pronounced stressing “the”) used to indicate that someone or something is the best known or most important of that name or type : he was the hot young piano prospect in jazz.
6 used adverbially with comparatives to indicate how one amount or degree of something varies in relation to another : the more she thought about it, the more devastating it became.
• (usu. all the ——) used to emphasize the amount or degree to which something is affected : commodities made all the more desirable by their rarity.
ORIGIN Old English (Northumbrian and North Mercian dialects) thē; related to Dutch de, dat, and German der, die, das.
USAGE The article the is usually pronounced |πə|before a consonant sound (: please pass the potatoes) and |πē|before a vowel sound ( | please pass the asparagus). Regardless of consonant and vowel sounds, when the desired effect following the is to emphasize exclusivity, the pronunciation is |πē|::

she's not just any expert in vegetation management,
she's the expert.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #754
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

this is for you

you know who you are
to make yo laugh
No one else but you will get this
please no one (else take offense)
Thank you for your assistance in this matter
Kind Sir
(sirs?)

http://www.economist.com/world/middl...ry_id=15214044
Old 01-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #755
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

SOLID GOLD BAND

When kidded about the relative scarcity of rings on his person — just three tiny hoops on his left ear and a pair of thin bands on one finger — he says drolly: "I didn't think that talking to a person who still has a (cassette) tape recorder that I'd need to bring my rings out. I don't wear a lot anymore. I can wear several, but not the full hands. I'm leaving that to Snoop and all those guys."

Those two bands, however, represent the core of his post-Beatles life: nearly 29 years of marriage to former model/actress Barbara Bach, 62, who went through a midlife struggle with substance abuse with him in the 1980s One of the bands "was my grandfather's, and it was huge and we cut it in half and Barbara has the other half," he says. The other "was sort of an engagement ring that Barbara bought. I never take them off."
Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #756
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

Mo is not a cryptologi
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 AM   #757
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

iamges, what's on your mind

http://www.sphere.com/world/article/...haiti/19318816
Old 01-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #758
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Hello!
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #759
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

Hello Yasa! I love your new avatar!
there was a solar eclipse yesterday
i guess you know that
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 AM   #760
Odbe
hope dope

Whaaaat? I didn't get the memo!
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #761
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

By Cathy Lynn Grossman, USA TODAY
Going to church this Sunday? Look around.
The chances are that one in five of the people there find "spiritual energy" in mountains or trees, and one in six believe in the "evil eye," that certain people can cast curses with a look — beliefs your Christian pastor doesn't preach.

In a Catholic church? Chances are that one in five members believe in reincarnation in a way never taught in catechism class — that you'll be reborn in this world again and again.

Elements of Eastern faiths and New Age thinking have been widely adopted by 65% of U.S. adults, including many who call themselves Protestants and Catholics, according to a survey by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life released Wednesday.

FAITH & REASON: Christmas or Hanukkah? Holidays or holy days? Interfaith families make choices
ON THE WEB: Pew's report
Syncretism — mashing up contradictory beliefs like Catholic rocker Madonna's devotion to a Kabbalah-light version of Jewish mysticism — appears on the rise.

And, according to the survey's other major finding, devotion to one clear faith is fading.

Of the 72% of Americans who attend religious services at least once a year (excluding holidays, weddings and funerals), 35% say they attend in multiple places, often hop-scotching across denominations.

They are like President Obama, who currently has no home church. He has worshiped at a Baptist church, an Episcopal one, and the non-denominational chapel at Camp David.

"Mixing and matching practices and beliefs is as much the norm as it is the exception," Pew's Alan Cooperman says. "Are they grazing, sampling, just curious? We really don't know."

Even so, says Pew researcher Greg Smith, "these findings all point toward a spiritual and religious openness — not necessarily a lack of seriousness."

Among the findings:

•26% of those who attend religious services say they do so at more than one place occasionally, and an additional 9% roam regularly from their home church for services.

•28% of people who attend church at least weekly say they visit multiple churches outside their own tradition.

•59% of less frequent church attendees say they attend worship at multiple places.

The survey of 2,003 adults Aug. 11-27 has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points. It measures Protestants, Catholics and the unaffiliated; there were not enough people of other faiths surveyed for analysis.

"For an extremely long time, most of us thought belonging or membership or home church was monogamous, even if it was serial monogamy, because we all know about church-switching," says sociologist of religion Scott Thumma, a professor at the Hartford Institute for Religion Research in Hartford, Conn. "Today, the individual rarely finds all their spiritual needs met in one congregation or one religion."

'Rampant confusion'

In the 1980s, Albert Mohler and Julia Jarvis were in graduate school together at Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville.

Today, Mohler is president of the seminary and a leading voice for Baptist orthodoxy. He sees a "rampant confusion" about faith revealed in the Pew findings.

"This is a failure of the pulpit as much as of the pew to be clear about what is and is not compatible with Christianity and belief in salvation only through Christ," Mohler says.

Pew says two in three adults believe in or cite an experience with at least one supernatural phenomenon, including:

•26% find "spiritual energy" in physical things.

•25% believe in astrology.

•24% say people will be reborn in this world again and again.

•23% say yoga is a "spiritual practice."

Mohler calls these "the au courant confusions," attachments to the latest fashionable free-floating beliefs.

"One hundred years ago, it would have been 'spiritualism.' They wouldn't have known what yoga was but might have been attracted to the 'New Thought' of the time," Mohler says.

His former classmate giggles at that. She's an ordained minister in the progressive United Church of Christ and leads the Interfaith Family Project, which meets for weekly worship at a Silver Spring, Md., high school.

Jarvis, of Takoma Park, Md., also studies with Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh and finds a spiritual dimension in yoga.

"I don't do astrology, but my mother, who grew up in Birmingham, Ala., and was a staunch Baptist all her life, looked at her horoscope daily and totally believed it," Jarvis says.

Jarvis says her late mother, like 49% of adults in the Pew survey, also had a moment of "religious or spiritual awakening."

"My mother feared for years that I was no longer saved, but just two days before she died, she had an epiphany," Jarvis says. "She said she was 'told' in a spiritual experience to put aside all religious and political differences and just love each other. That was her blessing to me, and that's what I'm doing."

Regina Roman of Alexandria, Va., calls herself "a very grounded Episcopalian" who's active in her church. But, she says, "I'm also stretching the boundaries of how we are to be here and now in this day, age and culture."

She leads pilgrimages to Egypt, New Mexico and Ireland to help travelers discover the truths and visions in Coptic, Native American and Celtic traditions. Roman celebrated the winter solstice with a home ceremony for guests to delight in the sun's gifts.

"We are all in relationship with the cosmos. We need to honor that," says Roman, who doesn't see herself crossing barriers but rather "coming full circle" with ancient ideas.

"People have always mixed religions, either in ignorance or willfully," says Stephen Prothero, director of the Graduate Division of Religious and Theological Studies at Boston University.

Despite the late Pope John Paul II's warnings to explicitly avoid Buddhist and Hindu practices, Prothero says, "American Catholics are so used to not caring what the official church tells them on birth control, divorce, premarital sex and other points that they don't think they are un-Catholic when they believe and do what they please."

Combating syncretism has troubled popes for centuries, says the Rev. Dan Pattee, chairman of the theology department at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio.

The problem with borrowing spiritual ideas is that "the life-giving truth becomes compromised as we understand it as Catholics," Pattee says.

The growth of mixing

Prothero sees a similar trend among Protestants, a "resistance to being told what to think."

"Even people who call themselves by denominational tags don't really feel the identity attachment to them as they once did," he says. "And without that identity marker, what's to prevent you from checking out some other church? Nothing much."

Cooperman notes that the new survey is measuring a phenomenon that may have been going on for decades. Also, it does not clearly establish how much is due to interfaith relationships.

A new study from InterfaithFamily.com, which encourages Jewish-Christian couples to raise their children as Jews, looks specifically at the Christmas/Hanukkah season. The findings are not scientific but give an indication that in intermarried couples rearing their children as Jews, most will celebrate Hanukkah — which begins on Friday night this year — at home. Less than 48% will celebrate Christmas, and largely in a secular fashion.

Pew specifically excludes the major holidays and life-cycle events to focus on ordinary worship practices. Its report says the findings on interfaith couples are "complex," in part because people in mixed marriages attend worship less frequently than those with a same-faith spouse.

The faith-mixing trend has been building; other surveys in the past two years have touched on the swirling, unbounded paths of believers:

•Forty-seven percent to 59% of Americans have changed religions at least once, a Pew survey in April found. The top reasons for most: Their spiritual needs weren't being met, or they liked another faith more or changed religious or moral beliefs.

•The percentage of people who call themselves Christian has dropped more than 11% in a generation, and so many people declined any religious label that the "Nones," now 15% of the USA, are the third-largest "religious" group after Catholics and Baptists, according to the American Religious Identification Survey last March.

•Despite Americans' overwhelming allegiance to someone they call God (92%), in Pew's 2008 U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, 70% said "many religions can lead to eternal life," and 68% said "there's more than one true way to interpret the teachings of my religion."

•Most (55%) say a guardian angel has protected them from harm, and 52% believe in prophetic dreams, according to surveys by Baylor University released in 2006 and 2008.

In short, we believe our own experiences are authentic, and no "authority" can say otherwise.

That's a very "Eastern" notion, says Jim Todhunter of Bethesda, Md. Retired after three decades leading United Church of Christ congregations, he has studied in a Hindu ashram in India and practices Zen meditation and Christian contemplative prayer.

"In the Western religions — Judaism, Christianity and Islam — the focus is: 'What do you believe?' There is always a tremendous focus on doctrine and teachings," he says. "In the East, Buddhism and Hinduism in particular, the leading question is, 'Do you know God?' It's much more experience-based."

Either way, he adds, "however you meet God is wonderful."
Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #762
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

The Best The Worst
1. Mathematician 200. Lumberjack
2. Actuary 199. Dairy Farmer
3. Statistician 198. Taxi Driver
4. Biologist 197. Seaman
5. Software Engineer 196. EMT
6. Computer Systems Analyst 195. Roofer
7. Historian 194. Garbage Collector
8. Sociologist 193. Welder
9. Industrial Designer 192. Roustabout
10. Accountant 191. Ironworker
11. Economist 190. Construction Worker
12. Philosopher 189. Mail Carrier
13. Physicist 188. Sheet Metal Worker
14. Parole Officer 187. Auto Mechanic
15. Meteorologist 186. Butcher
16. Medical Laboratory Technician 185. Nuclear Decontamination Tech
17. Paralegal Assistant 184. Nurse (LN)
18. Computer Programmer 183. Painter
19. Motion Picture Editor 182. Child Care Worker
20. Astronomer 181. Firefighter ”

200. Lumberjack
199. Dairy Farmer
198. Taxi Driver
197. Seaman
196. EMT
195. Roofer
194. Garbage Collector
t 193. Welder
192. Roustabout
191. Ironworker
190. Construction Worker
189. Mail Carrier
188. Sheet Metal Worker
187. Auto Mechanic
186. Butcher
185. Nuclear Decontamination Tech
184. Nurse (LN)
183. Painter
182. Child Care Worker
181. Firefighter
~WSJ
________
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #763
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

Carmela Soprano: Okay, as your parents, we don't feel joining the army is in your best interest.
Anthony Junior: This country is in a crisis.
Carmela Soprano: How can one soldier stop it?
Anthony Junior: When my enlistment's up, I could join the CIA or something. And with a military background, I'd have a leg up. And as an Arabic speaker, I'd be really useful.
Tony Soprano: I don't understand. You're gonna ask the Donald for some time off from your pilot job to go on CIA missions?
Anthony Junior: Everything's a joke to you!
Tony Soprano: I'm not havin' a good time.

the truth is i was actually trying to hunt down the qoutation
where Carmela says something to the effect of
"She hates me" referring to her daughter Meadow
(who was 17 or 18 at the time) >_<
Old 01-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #764
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

We did not have the wrong sort of water to cook beans but the only time it ever occurred to cook them prior to becoming a vegetarian was to make chili >Pearly (and EVERYONE!!) be aware also do not add tomatoes to the recipe until after the beans are cooked otherwise the beans will never get done
just my 2c worth
like you care !!
Old 01-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #765
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

another hint....

abcd efg hijk lmnop qrs tuv w xyz

v=.......think valentine you made in kindergarten here
(also ....two letters represnt the same thing
...one of the 2 can give you a definition for "created the world")

no more hints for at leas 6 months..

until then

you are on your own

hugs and kisses

ox L,Mo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: