Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
1. guns are scary*
2. i don't need one*
3. it's against the law**
* I agree
** I wish this was true here, but it's too late!!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
auntie aubrey
excursions

don't own one. because no one has a right to take another person's life, even in his/her own defense.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
zero

newsmongers in europe are repeating over and over to us again and again that in america nobody has the stomach to properly discuss gun law because it's too much of a political hot potato
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 AM   #7
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I shoot your gun thread! bang bang Oh right you're serious. (?)

I own two guns. I enjoy target shooting (though the handgun and my right wrist would not get along well these days) in the way that some people say they enjoy golf (which is beyond my right wrist entirely). You stand a certain way, you aim a certain way, you breathe a certain way, and if you can train yourself not to flinch in response to the big BOOM, the bullet goes in the target roughly where you hoped it would. The same can be said for archery (which is really hard on the wrist), minus the loud noise and the expensive reloads. Well-crafted guns can also be admired from an engineering perspective -- being able to fire a projectile smoothly over distance and pull the next from the magazine rapidly and flawlessly is no mean feat, which explains all the crappy jamming guns out there.

I don't really own one for home defense; though I am not morally opposed to harming someone who presents a threat if no other choices (like feds jumping in my window) exist, I am not sure I could actually do such a thing with adrenaline at peak. I definitely couldn't get to the hidden key, unlock everything, put a weapon together and load it before it was too late anyway. I consider my dog a far more effective home defense deterrent against random acts of mayhem in any event. There are gun safes you can install under your bed that operate with a four-digit code -- people use these to keep loaded weapons at the ready. I don't think it's a good idea. Such things are always fraught with peril.

For gun control measures, I like the notion of making all legal gun purchases subject to a good course of hands-on and theoretical training. There's nothing like proper training to make you very much aware of the risks inherent in handling these things. I would also be happier if penalties were high for misuse of guns, including penalties for keeping guns unsecured.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Frieda
in limbo

so you own guns for fun, trish, right? for the sport? id consider that if i lived somewhere where guns are legal.

they have shooting ranges here that you can become a member of, but you get a pretty big background screening before you can become a member. and have to leave your gun & ammo at the shooting range the first couple of years. later, you can take it home but you have to keep the ammo separated from the gun and there are regulations for storage (special safe). even police officers cant take their guns home without a permit. i think thats a very good thing.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #9
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Here you can own all the ammo you want (ammo is very expensive -- say a dollar a round for a handgun, and most people who shoot much do their own reloading -- I don't), but the legalities around transporting a gun are pretty stringent. Conveyance permits specify you can go from your home to a range where you have membership with the gun empty and locked up. Ranges rent out storage, because getting a conveyance permit can be a long process: first you need a temporary conveyance permit so you can legally transport it from the store where you bought it to the police station for inspection (to buy it in the first place there are two types of licenses, with different levels of safety training required to obtain them -- basically denoting whether you can buy one or more). Then you get the regular conveyance permit after the inspection (which took a couple of months in my case) and showing proof of range membership.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
zenbabe
Lollypop!

We have a few of them. I like shooting at the range, its pretty fun and I love the smell of gun powder. It will make you crazy if you breath it to much though..fo realz.

Also, if anyone were ever to break in and attack me, I would not hesitate in putting a cap in their ass.

You know what is funny? It is a felonly to carry a titanium baton, but it is only a misdamenor to get caught with a gun without the proper permits..go figure..

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #11
lostsadie
Pigmy person...

I own a gun, just one...I know how to use it and hope that I never have a reason to. I also own knives and hammers which in a pinch work just as well.

I don't think there is a thing wrong with owning a gun, actually I'm glad I have the right. My government isn't always the brightest and God forbid that they have all of the fire power; they have too much power as it is.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:16 AM   #12
l'azizza
98.4% monkey

I do not own a gun,

but I would like to. Just because I can, To G' father clause before all of my civil liberties are written away. To have one around to keep me warm at night.

I don't know where to buy one (Walmart no longer sells them?), too lazy to look.

I can handle a muzzle loader and would not just shoot to kill. Just somewhere below the belt so it's remembered not to come back to my house.

My G'ma, who is 73 and lives on a mountain, would like to own a gun as well.

If some f*cked up nut is after you and you're a law abiding citizen who would like the protection of a gun, who do you think would aquire one first?

I don't have children and don't think the cats could load the weapon.
l'azizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #13
zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe View Post
..a felonly to carry a titanium baton, but it is only a misdamenor to get caught with a gun without the proper permits..go figure..
yes, "go figure". that was really the point of the bread.

from the outside it's looking increasingly as if america is neither able nor willing to "go figure", even in the aftermath of the latest massacre. so are we to conclude that our european reportage is accurate in telling us that there really isn't much will within either of the american political parties to "go figure" the type of anomaly in the example above? i don't have a gun. i feel lucky to live in a society where, at least for the present time, there is absolutely no need for me to have a gun. and even if that were to change for the worse, i still would't want to have a gun. i'm all for gun control.

is it just too late for the usa? are there just are too many firearms circulating? are guns just too entrenched in the collective psyche, in the arts, in literature etc.? and even if an amendment to your constitution was enacted this very day, even if all military spending was magically redeployed into buying back guns that people were prepared to give up, wouldn't there still be just too many guns left out there on streets and on the farms and "up in them mountains"? and wouldn't too many people just say "sure, you'll get my gun back when you prise it away from my cold, dead fingers"?

what alternative solutions might exist for an overarmed society?

eta - assuming that is, you agree that it's overarmed

Last edited by zero : 04-25-2007 at 07:10 AM.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Solutions to violence -- from childhood bullying on up the line -- honestly require a multi-faceted approach, almost a cultural alteration to be of any good. Zero tolerance doesn't help. Looking at it from an emotional standpoint just gets people in a lather.

Marc Lepine entered a room at Montreal University carrying a gun and ordered all the men out of the classroom to stand in the hall. There they remained together, hearing what went on beyond the door. When he emerged, they parted to let him pass.

76 yr old Liviu Lebrescu blocked the classroom door at VT and told the students to get out -- they escaped through windows. He did not survive the assault.

It's a different age. Compared to fifty years ago, people collectively have very different ideas about what they should do in the face of the unthinkable.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Even if the USA stopped production of all guns and ammunition, you would never be able to rid this country of them. Never. People would just start making them in their garages.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: