ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2004, 05:10 AM   #1
imdrsmooth

One thing about going home

Mom always has me go through my closet and throw stuff away. I managed to clear out four randomly sized plastic bins. I currently have 2 bins left. One is full of baseball cards and the second has random books and such in it. This got me thinking about how I am moving out of my apartment sometime next month and all the crap I have in it. I already went through the apartment once and tossed a ton of stuff out and will have to do it again before I move.

The worst part of starting a life is acquiring furniture. The four big pieces of furniture I own are a couch, a queen size bed, a refridgerator and a tv. I will probably have to sell the fridge if the person I am moving in with already has one. Maybe I'll take it back to the used appliance store I purchased it at.

Wouldn't it be nice if it was easy and affordable to toss everything out and start new when you move? The only reason I am moving is because I travel so much for work it is not worth paying the rent I do if I am never there. It's nice to have a place to come home to and if that involves a roommate to save a few hundred dollars, so be it.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:17 AM   #2
Large Marge
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdrsmooth

Wouldn't it be nice if it was easy and affordable to toss everything out and start new when you move?
Oh my God, YES.

I am the queen of moving. I moved NINE times in ONE year, back in 1986. I have owned an entire houseful of beautiful things, but each time you move, something gets broken, lost, sold. Now, everything I own fits in a 3x6x15' space. And I kinda like it.

The upside is that I have become a minimalist, by necessity, really. For my own mental sanity, I simply cannot continue to haul refridgerators and queen-sized beds across the country. It's expensive. It's exhausting.

I have a rule now that if I don't use something in six months, it gets thrown out or goes to the Goodwill.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:19 AM   #3
lapietra
half baked

I regularly get the urge to toss everything and start over... then I start thinking of things I'd like to keep... then I give up.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Put it on eBay. You'll make a fortune.

Old 12-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #5
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

I always believed that if you need more than a station wagon to move all your stuff, you've crossed the line between "kid" and "adult". Furniture pretty much did it for me.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:23 AM   #6
Zaftig
monkey

Before I moved up here I had two weeks to condense and store everything that meant something to me, pack what I could in three suitcases and get rid of the rest. That was hard. A car, couches, tables, end tables, a bed, entertainment center. . . EVERYTHING. I managed to do it and when I moved up here I didn't want to get anything new because I was hoping to move again back home. Yeah right. We lasted a year without the following things that we just acquired in the past 2 months. I'm thankful for our new kingsized bed, tv and dressers, etc. Heaven knows I'm incredibly thankful, but like you, at the same time it's a burden. I'm so used to just picking up and going. Now that would not be possible. I don't want to go through acquiring all of these things another time. I should just purchase my own private jet and then I wouldn't have to worry about the rest.

Oh and thank you Mr. Smooth for getting the song "Cleanin' out my closet" stuck in my head!
Old 12-29-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
Magpie
Wishing on a pickle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba
I always believed that if you need more than a station wagon to move all your stuff, you've crossed the line between "kid" and "adult". Furniture pretty much did it for me.
Ha! Isn't that the truth?! Ahhh the days when it only took a couple car trips across town to your new place, one of which included your mattresses piled on top of your car (or half way sliding off one side, "we can make it!"). I used to be able to get moved just by payment in beer. Now there's professional movers and quotes involved. I still don't feel completely "grown up" though

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: