ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 03:41 AM   #1
Anna
n

The Big Man Upstairs

Looked around for a place to put this, couldn't find any particular spot.

Since there has been some interest regarding the onset of human life I felt that that question must have a proceeding one, is there a God and how do you know?

Here's one persons journey that is worthy of your time, as well as, entertaining. You'll have to work a little to get to this particular story, though the entire show is wonderful (as always) and you'll need an audio device - RA or WMC.

http://www.thislife.org/

Archives - Year 05 - scroll down to Godless America - 6/3 - Episode 290
Act Two. God Said, Huh? Julia Sweeney, a Catholic, tells the story of how her faith began to crack after reading a most alarming book ... called the Bible. Her story is excerpted from her play, "Letting Go of God," which ran in Los Angeles. Her other one-woman monologues are "God Said, "Ha!" and "In the Family Way." (29 minutes)

Last edited by Anna : 07-12-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

There are plenty of affirmed atheists who are anti-abortion.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM   #3
Anna
n

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
There are plenty of affirmed atheists who are anti-abortion.

I agree.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Lynx

While I hate labelling when religion is involved, i'm pretty much an agnostic.

For those unaware, Wikipedia says;

Quote:
Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the (truth) values of certain claims—particularly theological claims regarding the existence of God, gods, or deities—are unknown, inherently unknowable, or incoherent, and therefore, irrelevant to life.
The only journeys I wish to take in life are the ones that lead to goals I know I can reach.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
Brynn
constantly amazed

Saying "I don't know" is a perfectly valid scientific response. But how does one know that something is unknowable ? And then to presume that once something is declared unknowable it is then "irrelevant"? I think that shows at the very least, a lack of imagination.

Every great scientific discovery came about when someone looked at something unusual/out of the ordinary/unreasonable and asked himself "Is there a good reason here why I should consider this abberration important?"

Einstein looked at the material world and noted that we live in three dimensions - but the revolutionary thought came about when he began to think about time - up until then a complete abstract - and recast it in terms of a fourth dimension. Instead of saying that it was unknowable, he continued to dream about it and let the idea evolve until he found a mathmatic key - and sure enough, all four dimensions suddenly worked together beautifully and made all sorts of other equations possible - changing physics as we knew it forever.

What if God/spirituality were a fifth dimension that we just have not been able to find the key to yet? To just shrug and say it's unknowable and therefore irrelevant strikes me as terribly limited and sad. If it were even possible that someone created the cosmos and is responsible for it - and furthermore, is knowable and available for a relationship with us - it strikes me as the single most urgently important idea to pursue while we are alive.
From a negative standpoint, spirituality is relevant just on the basis that many wars are fought over religion and we are affected every single day materially by it. From a positive standpoint, billions of people in the world depend on faith in God to guide them, to comfort them, to sustain them - these are people we all have to interact with all the time. How could that be irrelevant?
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I have to teach this story at my yearly stint as a Sunday school teacher tomorrow.

click

Conveniently missing from the actual story is the part where Elijah has all 450 of the prophets of Baal slaughtered right after he wins the contest: "Don't let anyone get away!" he warns.

There is nothing in this story that I personally find redeeming. The take home messages are: Pray in the right way. Pray to the right God. It's horrible.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
amanda
old s'cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
The only journeys I wish to take in life are the ones that lead to goals I know I can reach.
I think that is the saddest idea I've ever read.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Brynn
constantly amazed

^ Doing what seems impossible is what God's all about.
I just heard a story this morning from Ray Johnston, who was bothered by the discrepancy in quality between the schools in the suburbs in his area, versus the inner-city schools. He decided that every single five-year-old in his area should have the same leg up as anyone else. So he convinced every pastor in his area to close the doors of their churches for one Sunday and brought them all together in the Arco Arena in the Bay Area for worship together. They took up a collection from thousands of people and managed to raise enough money for two public schools (who had nothing but black top for playgrounds) to get outfitted with massive, state-of-the-art playgrounds. The principal from one of the schools was skeptical that this was done with no strings attached - nobody does anything like that without an agenda. But that's exactly what happened.
They are going to continue to do this once a year.

Trish, that's a great story - a Bible from a person like that is such an incredible gift. Your "short answer" made me laugh out loud - been there!
I'm impressed with the way you are supporting your daughter in what she wants to do, and making sure she gets the whole picture as well. She sounds like a strong, confident young lady.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda
I think that is the saddest idea I've ever read.
but probably, a very honest answer.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: