ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 PM   #11
Brynn
constantly amazed

wow, Auntie's bathroom stall story, Avalon's aunt on the telephone, Doon's dream, strange neighbors - shiver me timbers, ya'll.

Here's a link to give you some fun creepy crawlies: *

A slightly weird thing that happened on a road trip early in my marriage.
My husband and I were driving north from L.A. to Oregon along Interstate 5. We were ripping along somewhere outside of Big Sur after the trees dwindled away and the landscape had gradually gotten flat for a while. We'd been talking and talking and talking (as we used to do on road trips before the kids came) but we had hit a quiet stretch where we'd run out of stuff to say for a long while, and were just quietly watching the countryside roll by.

In the distance, we could see a huge cloud of smoke rising up from a grass fire in a field. The wind had been blowing it across the freeway, and we got closer, we had to slow way down as visibility got worse and worse.

On the other side of the freeway, over in the field, out of the smoke emerged
a very pale, gaunt figure of a man. Everything about him seemed to match the smoke - grayish hair, pale skin, pale blue denim overalls. The expression on his face seemed very lost, sad, and a bit dazed, as if he was in shock, but he was walking with a sense of purpose. Even so, it really was a strange sight to see a guy walking basically to nowhere along the freeway out there.

Then, almost randomly, I asked my husband "Do you believe in ghosts?" Maybe it was the sight of the guy, I don't know. I thought I knew his answer already - he's a fairly grounded realistic, practical person - but he surprised me by saying "Well, yeah, maybe I do. Did you see that weird guy?" As the traffic slowed even more as cars started to pile up in the thick smoke, we started to worry about getting rear-ended. People turned their headlights on and we crawled forward.
We could faintly see blue and red lights of a police car and an ambulance flashing through the smoke.

Finally, the wind shifted, and we could see better. Up ahead, on the other side of the freeway, there was a terrible wreck involving several cars. At the moment we passed (yes, we were rubbernecking) an ambulance medic was loading a sheet-covered body into the ambulance.

Somehow, we just both knew that we had seen the soul of the man who was on that stretcher. We turned on the radio to a local station and heard the account of the grass fire and how a farmer had been blindly trying to cross the road in the smoke and was struck by a car. Fortunately, in spite of the number of cars involved in the pile-up, he had been the only fatality.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: