FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 AM   #1
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Question Travel questions

Went to the movies over the weekend & saw the trailer for this:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0408790/

and it got me thinking, so here goes.

1) Do you enjoy traveling? Or is it all about the destination for you?

2) What is your favorite method (bus, train, plane, etc) & why?

3) Share w/us your worst experience ever on an airplane/bus/train, etc.

4) Share w/us your BEST experience traveling, or a pleasant surprise thing that happened to you that made your day while traveling.

5) Do you check any luggage or do you carry everything on? Why?

6) What do you do for the duration? Listen to music? Read? People watch?

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it off?

8) What would freak you out the most while traveling (ie: losing your luggage, not something obvious like the plane blowing up)

And lucky number 9

9) Getting up to go to the bathroom during a flight--your right as a passenger, only if necessary, or you'd rather have your bladder explode?

Go to it!

Oh & a BONUS QUESTION: Share your worst hotel experience.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Nargh.

*must.....not....spoil.....as promised......thread*
Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 AM   #3
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

1) Do you enjoy traveling? Or is it all about the destination for you? Everything is all about the destination. This is possibly why I made such a an extraordinarily lousy pilot.

2) What is your favorite method (bus, train, plane, etc) & why? Airliners are the fastest. Get me to the destination.

3) Share w/us your worst experience ever on an airplane/bus/train, etc. Motion sickness. Doesn't matter where it is.

4) Share w/us your BEST experience traveling, or a pleasant surprise thing that happened to you that made your day while traveling. "Cheated death again."

5) Do you check any luggage or do you carry everything on? Why? I pack very light. I try to carry as much as I can.

6) What do you do for the duration? Listen to music? Read? People watch? I listen to music, as loud as possible, and wait for the fvcking ordeal to be over.

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it off? I glare at everyone, passengers and staff alike, and try not to shout at people unless they really piss me off. Why is the ordeal not ending? WHY? Fortunately, this tires me quickly and I go to sleep after about four hours of it.

8) What would freak you out the most while traveling (ie: losing your luggage, not something obvious like the plane blowing up) Do not even say I might lose my luggage one day.

And lucky number 9

9) Getting up to go to the bathroom during a flight--your right as a passenger, only if necessary, or you'd rather have your bladder explode? Hey, wtf, I've seen worse bathrooms.

Oh & a BONUS QUESTION: Share your worst hotel experience. Drunk out of town friend cuts hand falling into his own glass coffee table. Two trips to ER ensue (he won't stop dicking with the sutures), and finally I leave him in his bed and go with then-spouse to motel down the road. In the next room they are performing a crucifixion; it is 4 AM. I hear pounding on the adjoining door at hand and foot levels, then unearthly screams, then hearty laughter. This repeats over and over and over.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 AM   #4
amanda
old s'cool

dropping by and I saw these...

traveling for me is the happy medium between sheer boredom and unending deluge of experience that is not unlike so many other things I love. the destination is the same thing only in suspension.

Planes are wonderful catapults. But trains and buses are poetry in motion.

a plane landing in Dalian, China- it took six attempts at landing on the tarmac. spooked me of landings for a little while.

4) Share w/us your BEST experience traveling, or a pleasant surprise thing that happened to you that made your day while traveling.

tough. I think, recognizing people and experiences halfway around the world from what you know. That, and usually sea turtles are involved.

I carry on everything I possibly can now. Zero patience and no tolerance for lost luggage. Plus, I like the idea of putting everything I own in a single small bag.

All the above. Mostly people and landscape watch, though.

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it off?

If it's their fault, I make sure they understand that I know that it's their fault and they need to rectify the situation, but at the same time, I know people are pretty much human. If it's my fault, I give myself a solid kick in ass and go on.

8) What would freak you out the most while traveling (ie: losing your luggage, not something obvious like the plane blowing up)

well, a plane blowing up would freak me out a little. but I think having an invasive, emergency medical precedure in a place where I don't have much of a handle on the language pretty much tops out as being number one. or bugs laying eggs under the skin.

And lucky number 9

9) Getting up to go to the bathroom during a flight--your right as a passenger, only if necessary, or you'd rather have your bladder explode?

Move it or I lose it.

Go to it!

dead of night, looking for a place to stay. taken to a hotel. passport suddenly vanishes while checking in. they require payment- a "finder's fee".
US$75 lighter, I fall asleep with my clothes on.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

I love travelling. The journey and the destination are all part of the experience.

2) What is your favorite method (bus, train, plane, etc) & why? Car and airplane. Car because you see different things including the changes in the terrain, the people, the local flavour. Plane because it is so much fun to fly and it is so quick.

As a child we took the train from LA to Niagara Falls, it caught on fire. Mom just took the train and didn't the damn thing catch on fire.

4) Share w/us your BEST experience traveling, or a pleasant surprise thing that happened to you that made your day while traveling. We were in Texas and didn't notice one of the sleeping bags fall off the top of our bus (volkswagon). A texan followed us for 100 miles to bring it back to us.

5) Do you check any luggage or do you carry everything on? Why? Check. I don't want to try to put one of my suitcases on that upper rack thing.

6) What do you do for the duration? Listen to music? Read? People watch? People watch.

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it off? I laugh it off.

Losing my purse.

My right and I want to see what is in there.

BONUS QUESTION: Share your worst hotel experience.
We chose a hotel based on the fact that it was right there, and it was late, and Mom had been driving for 1000 miles. We got into the room, it had bunkbeds. Just after falling asleep this clatter arose and got really loud, really fast. Train! It was just like that episode of Lucy. The bed wobbled, the stuff on the tables moved, the stuff on the walls moved, and the windows rattled. Every Half hour or so.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

i love everything about traveling...but most of all i love the people im with!

i *heart* planes...u get to be there longer...but i hate flying
i *heart* trains...they are so 1940s...
i *heart* cars...ROAD TRIP...but it does take longer!

on the flight home from hawaii...they messed up our schedule...so we missed 3 planes...
then we got shoved onto this tiny plane home...the only seat left for me was by the bathroom
and flight attendant area...so i was up that day for about 24hrs...it was miserable.

the actual being in hawaii was something i will never trade. so many great moments with my
family. the best was driving up the coast with dad and tim in the 'Stangs.

i usually check one and carry on. i love having all my essentials with me

i read or people watchg while i wait for the plane/train. once on board i usually
listen to music.

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it
off?
im not easily bothered...

baby puking. u cant get away from it if you are locked in a plane!

And lucky number 9

id rather die. i hate walking around during the flight

worst hotel experience...
the elevator almost cut off my arm. it slammed shut on me...then again the hotel was ANCIENT!
and you could tell it had never been redone.
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
1) Do you enjoy travelling? Or is it all about the destination for you?

the way is the goal and all that.

TRAIN - every time. i'm 1.95 metres tall. on trains you can walk around, meet people, see fantastic scenery. much the best for flirting.

there are so many.

when in vietnam, i was travelling with a girl from new zealand and we were put on the wrong bus at na trang and instead of heading north, we were taken south. we stopped at some dusty nowheresville and got off the bus thanking the driver in a most polite manner for taking us 200 miles in the wrong direction. walked over to the only restaurant in town to see what time the next bus north was, and found that on the other side of the restaurant was a beautiful beach with little cabins for rent.
spent the next three days lolling around, swimming and generally having fun.

whatever

depends on the form of transport. on planes i count the minutes.

after it's happened a few times you have to take the latter course.

i've had enough of arriving in weird places in the middle of the night. being sick far from home isn't much fun.

And lucky number 9

weird question. why else do they have toilets? (i haven't been on a plane with a bathroom yet, but i'm looking forward to bathing at 30,00 feet)

Go to it!

Oh & a BONUS QUESTION: Share your worst hotel experience.[/quote]

oh god, too many. i'll tell you a toilet one though. again in vietnam, saigon, went out to eat and sat at an outside table of what looked like a popular restaurant. we ordered a coke and i asked the waiter where the 'bathroom' was. he showed me into the kitchen, so i said, sorry, mistake etc. no no, he says and shows me a hole in the ground in the corner of the kitchen. that was the toilet!
we left....

Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
red
elite rabble

It's the journey and the destination

train. it's fast and you can see the countryside

The first time we flew to Europe we ended up in the back of the plane across from the bathrooms. Being across from the bathrooms was bad enough, but people came to the back of the plane to stretch their legs and would start talking to each other. It was loud in the back so they were pretty much shouting at each other. I guess they didn't think that people in the back of the plane would want to sleep until I asked them to be quiet. They glared at me like I had told them to **** off. All in all it's not really that bad.

We got "lost" in the Burren in Ireland. We had rented a car and wanted to see castle ruins (hah—some castle ruins are pretty much just a footprint) and couldn't find them. We stumbled across the Burren Perfumery, bought a map, some perfume and headed out. We went to Ballyvaughn and had seafood chowder, down the east coast to the Cliffs of Moher, searched for a toilet (all the public ones seemed to closed up at 6pm ) and ended up at a local pub with music and a barmaid that had just finished visiting Austin, Texas.

I travel as light as possible so I can do the carry-on. The only time I wasn't able to carry-on my bag was with EasyJet. I was just half a kilo over their limit.

read, sleep

HAH, baby spitting up onme is a regular occurrance. I usually shrug it off.

getting on the train, plane, bus, but some of my best adventures have been from mistakes.

Only if necessary.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
smellyrayzin
mrs. self destruct

Talking

i love traveling because i love to fly.
my dad is pilot and used to own his own plane (before some idiot totalled it )
i grew up flying in my dad's plane. he just told me a few days ago that he's going to save up some money so i can go to flight school!!! *insert giddy rambling here*

anyway, here is a video i took while flying with my dad.... we like to see what we can make float around in the cabin

i love to fly.

+ my website
+ my photo site
smellyrayzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #10
tsunamimom
I'll put the kettle on...

^^^Great pics!
tsunamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #11
Hermione
monkey

I love traveling... esp. in europe.

Plane. Gets you there quicker.

Summer of 2001. We were on our way to Maui for a few weeks when we had to switch planes 3 times. we were at LAX for 7 hours. The first plane was fine.. we were halfway there when the captain decided to turn back. The second plane never took off. We were goind down the runway when the captain decided that this plane wasn't good enough. Third time is the charm. We got free airline tickets back to maui because we were supposed to land at 11am but we didn't land until way past midnight.

When I was 8 my family decided to torture me and take me to India. We flew on x-mas day. The flight attendents on Singapore airlines gave all the kids presents. that was pretty neat.

Last year when we went to europe we flew on virgin atlantic. best service ever.

check in everything. I bring way too many clothes and books.

I read a lot. I talk to my brother. Eat the snacks that my mum brought. Watch movies. Listen to music. Flip through the dictionary with my brother to see who can define the most words.

I get super cranky. I hate waiting. Time is so important to me and i hate it when my time is wasted. If a baby puked on me, i think i would cry. all those germs.. eek!

I would be so upset if my luggage was lost. I wouldn't know what to do. I love my clothes and books.

I hate using public restrooms. I'll go if I'm in pain.

Share your worst hotel experience-

Last year we went to London for a few weeks. We stayed at this one hotel that I was totally against. My family decided to stay there because our ignorant travel agent thought it was great. The beds were rock hard, the AC didn't work, and when I got in the shower.. the damn shower head fell on me. I had a huge bump on the top of my head.. blood was coming out and everything. When I tried to grab a towel after my shower, the towel rack was heated. I burnt my hand. We stayed one day and left. Stupid hotel.
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
karma_queen
Minx

1) Do you enjoy traveling? Or is it all about the destination for you? i love it just as much as the destination.

2) What is your favorite method (bus, train, plane, etc) & why? i love flying, but trains are great ways to see countries

3) Share w/us your worst experience ever on an airplane/bus/train, etc. a 32 hour train journey on a train across india. it was crawling with cockroaches and mice, and i had delhi belly

4) Share w/us your BEST experience traveling, or a pleasant surprise thing that happened to you that made your day while traveling. a conversation with a man on a train about what our names meant. he couldn't understand that western names rarely mean anything very much. his name meant yogurt, and he went into a long explanation of why his parents named him this

5) Do you check any luggage or do you carry everything on? Why? depends where i'm goin. if i'm backpacking i can travel very very lightly. i'm i'm going away for a weekend i'll take as much as i like

6) What do you do for the duration? Listen to music? Read? People watch? i people watch, read, play cards, listen to music, watch the scenery

7) How do you handle setbacks (missed plane, sitting on the tarmac for 4 hours in inclement weather, a baby pukes on you, etc), do you get mad & start screaming or shrug & laugh it off? i'm pretty laid back. take it as it comes. it's not the end of the worl

8) What would freak you out the most while traveling? losing my passport or money would be a bit of a pain

And lucky number 9

9) Getting up to go to the bathroom during a flight--your right as a passenger, only if necessary, or you'd rather have your bladder explode? just go. blimey, there are worse things than plane loos
karma_queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #13
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasacutsnake
Nargh.

*must.....not....spoil.....as promised......thread*
Yes, where is that thread, anyway?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 AM   #14
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

For me, it the destination. The actual traveling is a bit like a buzzing insect, annoying.

I haven't had a bad plane experience yet, but loved how easy the subway was in NYC to get around. (except for the last day, ahem)

They probably involve a screaming child of some sort, which s why God invented CD Walkmans & headphones & Paul Oakenfold.

Every once in awhile, someone who works @ the airport is extra smiley and courteous--I know how hard that is, cause I only did it for 4-5 months before I had to quit. Both the Minneapolis & Santa Ana airports have very nice people selling sammiches.

I check everything except a bag about the size of a messenger bag, which has magazines, my walkman, headphones & music, snacks, water & a thick book. I do this b/c I want to beat the people who store things above the heads of their fellow passengers. It never works out, there is always someone waiting for you while you wrestle w/the overstuffed thing, a lot of people can travel like that, a small carry on & a bag the size of mine & that's all they travel with. I just can't. Fear sets in. What if I forget something? What if it turns cold? What if it gets really really warm? Gah!

All of the above, w/reading winning out 97.9% of the time.

You have to shrug it off. Most everyone just wants to get to where they are scheduled to go. You have to do the best you can.

Airport security asking me to remove clothing, which happened @ Santa Ana! I lied & told her my outer shirt was sewn to the tank top. Seriously, who do you think you are, asking ppl to take shirts off?

People who stare in general freak me out, but people who stare in airports freak me out AND piss me off.

And lucky number 9

I'd rather have my bladder explode. I go only if necessary & usually wait til the end of the flight, when everyone else has deplaned.

Summer of 1995, downtown Milwaukee, Ramada Inn. Me & some friends had rented a room & were going to walk to Summerfest, as we had tickets to see Boyz II Men. When I got to the hotel, they were already in the room, so we left our stuff in the room & went, thinking nothing of it.

When we returned to the hotel @ midnight, we got to the door of the room (this is when they still had actual keys), and there was a metal doorknob cover w/no keyhole covering the door handle. WTF? We go to the lobby & are told that "Oh, they gave you the wrong room, so we just moved your stuff into a different room. Here's your key, your new room is blah blah blah." I asked, "You moved our stuff? Including our purses, with our checkbooks & credit cards in them? I want to see the manager--NOW!!!!!" So we explain to him that them giving us the wrong room is not our fault & they had absolutely no right to move our things. The night manager is not understanding why I'm so upset. And is an absolute ass about it. He's not comping us for the room, in fact, he will not admit that they did anything wrong.

A year later I got hired there & quit after I realized I'd have to work w/him on a daily basis.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #15
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

*bump*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: