ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
Blue

dogs and squirrels

Just need to rant for a few seconds. Found a lost dog this morning and took it to Battersea Dogs Home - place in London where they scan microchips and reunite lost dogs with owners and/or put them up for re-adoption but... before I ended up having to buy my dog they put me through 3 months of questioning and home checking and god knows what else and then having passed all those hurdles STILL wouldn't let me have one of the thousands of homeless dogs they have there. On the way to the dogs home today I found a little tiny baby squirrel who had fallen out of a tree and cut its mouth - it was completely healthy otherwise apart from a little bit of shock. So... picked up the squirrel and wrapped it in my sweater and took it with me to the dogs home (at this point I have the lost dog, my dog and the squirrel so quite a handful!) Upon arriving at the home they take the squirrel from me and tell me they are going to put it down! I asked them why when it was healthy and they said because it had been in human contact and now couldn't go back into the wild. So I said I wanted it back and would care for it myself as a pet and they told me that it was illegal to keep the squirrel and took it away. Then I signed the dog in - who had no microchip and an out of date number on his tag - and they took him to a crowded cage with loads of other dogs lying in their own shit and piss so I said I wanted to take him home and they wouldn't let me do that either - because I had already signed him in. Came home, miserable as ****. Phoned the RSPCA ( big animal organization in UK) and they told me that I WAS legally allowed to keep the squirrel. Called the dogs home back but everyone had left for the day and the one woman on duty said she couldn't see a squirrel anywhere so I am hoping that one of the nurses has taken him home for the night and I can go and get him back tomorrow. Worried about dog, worried about squirrel and if they have killed him and not sent him to a sanctuary (plenty in this country) I am going to sue the bastards. Anyway, am just really ****ing angry right now but am going to have a big glass of wine and try to calm down. Rant over.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Avalon

If I were in London, I would gladly stand with you. Sorry to be of no help and so far away.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Blue

thanks but you might actually be of help at some point if I decide to have their governing body bombarded with emails... I have to wait till 8 am tomorrow and see what the situation is first.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Avalon

just let me know. I have raised more than one squirrel and dog and I loathe to take any animal anyplace these days. PM me if I am not on.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 08-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #5
Blue

Thats great. Thanks. And if I do get him back will you have advice for me on how to care for him?
Old 08-28-2004, 07:24 PM   #6
Blue

and yeah, I wish I just hadn't taken either of them there. I should have just brought them both home and dealt with it from there. I am an idiot.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #7
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

I'll fight by email over this if it becomes necessary. I can't stand it when agencies follow rules that actually work backwards to what they are trying to accomplish. We've had squirrels a few times, that lived inside. They return to the outside world really well. Even when raised from babies.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #8
Avalon

Don't beat yourself up about taking them there; supposedly that is what those places are for. You don't know what the place is like til it is too late..universal story, trust me.
And yes, I would be happy to help with "the baby" Keep me informed!
Groucho Marx
Old 08-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #9
Blue

so it can go back into the wild even if it has been handled by humans? And what about keeping it as a pet? Do you think that having a dog in the equation might be a bad idea? Sorry to bombard you with question I just want to hit them with as much info as possible when I ask for the squirrel back tomorrow. Thank you for your support I feel fvcking dreadful about the pair of them.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #10
lapietra
half baked

Awww Blue. You are such a love...

I share your frustration and stand by ready to help with the email bombardment.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
Avalon

dogs,cats, squirrels,rabbits and fish. One house.
Just put the squirrel in a hamster cage and in a room alone. Keep him warm. If you get him back, Aphro and I will tell you more.
They do just fine when released. I had one that came home a few times, but he was incredibly spoiled I just put him back in the tree a few times and he was good to go
Groucho Marx
Old 08-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

For sure it can be handled by people and returned to live in the wild. My sister had one that was only a baby and got it's tail run over. They had to amputate a large portion of its tail. It was so much fun. It had the run of the house for a while. One day Pam grabbed a bowl of iced cream and left it in the livingroom while she went to asnswer the phone. She heard this high pitched squeal and ran in thinking that the dogs were bothering it. Nope, it was sitting in the middle of the bowl, splashing around and eating the oreo chunks. They graduated it to a large cage outside and one night when they were letting it wander, it didn't come back. Occasionally it would return and eat peanuts but otherwise it was wild and stayed away from people and pets. (and the road)

My sister has two great danes, a weiner dog, and three chahuahuas. She also has a cat. It was fine.

I wouldn't keep it as a pet though. It is meant to be free.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:49 PM   #13
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphrodite
a weiner dog
*loves*

Count me in on the email campaign.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
Blue

thank you so much guys. I know I dont post much - mostly lurk and laugh at all your goings on - but I am really upset about this for some reason. I think because they are just such bad carers of animals in that place and I really want to do something about it. I will definitely let you all know what happens when I speak to them tomorrow and I am relieved that keeping him in my house for a while won't hurt him (if it's a him). Thank you also for your commitment to emailing the people who keep this charity running. I am in no way saying that they should be shut down because at least the animals there have a roof other their heads and a place to sleep - albeit a filthy disgusting one - but I am serioulsy fvcked off about the treatment of the creatures in there and the complete disdain of this little creature. I dont know if it's the same in the states but squirrels here are considered vermin and pretty much everybody wants them gone - apart from me obviously. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't do away with him already.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
Blue

Quote:
Originally posted by lapietra
Awww Blue. You are such a love...

I share your frustration and stand by ready to help with the email bombardment.
cheers mate x

ps. when you asked if it was me in the blog comments it wasn't but thanks for wondering where I had been!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: