ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Dive Bars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2002, 03:10 AM   #1
zefrank
-------------

Nyc

The Edge on 3rd Street btw 1st and 2nd ave.

not really that much of a "dive", but it holds a special place in my heart.
zefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 10:34 AM   #2
kbb

Talking holiday

holiday lounge: st marks place b/t 2 ave & 3ave (much closer to 2).

one of the best dives in the city & one of the most memorable bartenders i've ever met.
kbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 12:34 PM   #3
Narcissa

Holiday is the first one I think of, too. The legendary bartender doesn't work very late anymore, though. A much better place for drinking beer than liquor. Plus, it closes at midnight, so you feel like you've done something special by closing one bar down and being able to find another one open just down the road.

Other good dives: The Subway Inn at 60th Street and Lex. Not to be confused with the late lamented Siberia, which was actually underground. This one is just next to the 59th and Lex Subway station.

Mars Bar. I could look it up, but it's either 2nd Ave or 2nd Street or at the intersection. I usually just stumble in there, against my better judgment. Best in breezy weather because the stagnating air in there is sometimes too much. Good juke.

Marie's Crisis. Gay piano dive. It's possible. Christopher and 7th, downstairs. Great for people who like to drink cheap and sing showtunes.
Narcissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:08 PM   #4
Unregistered
monkey

mars bar is at 2nd ave and 1st st.

there's always parkside lounge (houston and ummm.. something eastish.. around essex). love. get there on the right night and you can score free beers and games of pool from the bored bartenders.

i also really like dempsey's pub (2nd ave and 4th st.) cheap beer, great atmosphere. pool, darts, live irish music tuesday nights. and the bartenders always remember my name (although that may speak more of me than the bar).

and rudy's. (9th ave and like 48th). free, yes, free hotdogs.

if you're in brooklyn:

boat is fun. smith and warren st. they have a dungeons and dragons night.

enid's, too. i used to live right around the corner (manhattan ave. and driggs). hipster scene. go there to be 'cool'.

check out north six, on n. 6th and... something.. kent... or wythe. between them. they are one of the best places to catch bands, and they have great drink specials. show 'em some love.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:23 PM   #5
em_b

woe

it's sad that the 3 dives that come to mind are all gone now - nightengales, wetlands and mcgoverns (where you could once see ze's band play every week) . . .

but i reccommend

9C (guess the address) - they have great beer specials and sometimes you can catch a good band (like "company" on mondays - all former bard students)

there's another bar that isn't exactly a dive, but it's really comfortable, i don't know what it's called, and you can't really see it from the outside, but its on avenue b between 14th and 13th on the east side of the avenue - you have to go up a flight of stairs. there are couches and rugs and candlelight, and weird dance music in the bathrooms.

i also have to put in a plug for Googies on sullivan and west 3rd. good food, great atmosphere, freindly bartenders and waitstaff, wooden tables with 30 years of peoples names carved in.
em_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
Narcissa

Parkside is at Houston and Attorney (aka between B & C). Great drag party on Sunday nights, love the pinball. Still, seems too nice to be called a dive.

In a dive, you stick to the seats. And the bar. And the walls.

Mixed drinks are either watered down or too strong to stomach and never have enough ice.

It would smell like stale smoke even after being closed for a week - due to the owner going into the hospital for back surgery and not trusting the staff with the register - because it's never been properly aired out or even properly mopped, as evidenced by the grungy old rag mop collecting flies in the corner.

The plexiglass on the juke box is cracked because it doesn't have Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" live from Folsom Prison, and that really pissed some guy off.

They don't card. Or if they do, it's because you look younger than 15 (or the police just happened to stop by a few hours earlier).
Narcissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
clairus99
monkey

Keep Em Coming!

I am coming back to NYC for a holiday in EIGHT LONG MONTHS - and I need to check out some good places!

So keep em coming, so that I can meet some people there (who might be able to buy me some drink....;o) )

Playgirl Claire
clairus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 06:49 PM   #8
Rainchild
monkey

Old NY

The Ear:

Old, old, old place on Spring St. right off the West Side Hwy, a block from Don Hills. The Ear is one of the oldest bars in NYC--cheap drinks, cool original old NY decor, and the best part--the best dinner deal in New York City. Really quality homemade food--fresh seafood, steaks, pastas, etc., for less than 12 bucks a plate, and homemade pies to boot. Always order off the specials board.

A little history: The place was originally called The Green Door and was a regular haunt for whalers, sailors and dockworkers (obviously pre-W.S. Hwy). When the place changed hands in the 50s, the new owners couldn't afford a new sign. So they painted over part of the "B" in the neon "BAR" sign, thereby renaming the place "EAR".
Rainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:59 PM   #9
Josue
Swollen Member

Trash

Can´t believe no one´s put up American Trash yet, one of my favorites with lots of Ozzy and ACDC on the jukebox; an anomoly for the neighborhood (E. 76th and 1st or 2nd Ave.), and not just for bikers anymore.
Josue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 AM   #10
Josue
Swollen Member

Meatpacking district

The Village Idiot -- classic shitkicker on way west 14th st. Lots of loud Merle Haggard, Charlie Daniels, and barrel-chested, bearded drunk men. Feel free to piss in the corner behind the jukebox; tell 'em I said it was okay.
Josue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:14 PM   #11
Big_Daddy
monkey

the Mayor of 9th Avenue

Have not seen him in a long time.. lol

There is another bar in the meat packing district call the Red Light Lounge. Its on 14th street and 9th ave. its an eclectic place with old world couches. They replaced the kitchen with a pool table, so the place looks a lot bigger.

There’s also a great whole in the wall lounge on 10th street between fist and avenue A, called Liquids.. this place is really relaxed. They have a DJ playing garage house music and they even have a fire place. I would go early though because it gets busy and the couches fill-up quick.
Big_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: