Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2004, 05:27 AM   #16
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Quote:
Originally posted by bwallach
Animalls do havea right to live. Like any other thing.

In indoneiisia. theres a pact with cows. they are concidered relgious as all animals over there are. you can't kill a cow over there without a repercusion. there are doggs every where.
I don't mean this to detract from the discussion, but are you purposefully spelling like this to hide identity? I mean I could buy the odd word misspelled, but this above seems like someone typed something out and then went back and purposefully changed and added letters to create misspellings in almost every word.

Again, just curious as to why.

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

On that: Terror is terror. Period. There are no gray areas. Any effort to "shock and awe" with violence is terror ... whatever point there is to prove. I cannot, myself, condone it. Ever.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #17
masterofNone
________

Quote:
Animalls do havea right to live. Like any other thing.
if animals have a right to life then we are in big trouble. let's set aside that a significant portion of protein come from meat, let's set aside that we swat flies and trap mice. i mean, a right to life for animals would flood our courts with criminal charges on an epic scale. let's just look at the wild. do lions recognize the right to life of the water buffalo or the gazzelle? do dogs grant rabbits their right to life? i'll say it again. animals have no rights. what would you do if your house were suddenly infested with rats? would you try to live in peaceful coexistance with them or would you call an exterminator? even the most idealistic PETA fan would, sooner or later, kill the filthy little ****ers. i am for the ethical treatment of animals, but it needs to be said clearly. animals don't have rights.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #18
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Quote:
Originally posted by masterofNone
what would you do if your house were suddenly infested with rats? would you try to live in peaceful coexistance with them or would you call an exterminator? even the most idealistic PETA fan would, sooner or later, kill the filthy little ****ers.
Pssst, MoN, there are no-kill traps available. I used them to get rid of Mickey when I first moved in here.

And I'm all for more humane means (ie. no animals) for testing makeup and other things along those lines ... but when it comes to science and medicine, looking for a cure to some henious diseases (like cancer), I think we need to use some animals as test subjects to find cures.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #19
AbnormalDonkey

I agree that peta is out of control. I saw some cool stickers on a site once, so I ordered them...And they were from peta, now I get like newsletters and they have little trading cards with people like "sickly sally" or "tubby tammy" about how chicken is of the devil...I'm big on animal rights, but I'm not for blowing everything up like it is.

About petco though, they are by far the worst pet store I've ever been to/heard of. They do not train their employees, I know many people who applied for jobs there, and once they got hired...They didn't have ANY formal training, and they don't know jack about the animals they are selling or how to take care of them. They sell live feeders, they don't seperate their sexes, most of the small pets I've seen there have wounds and serious medical problems. I've never gotten one from there, but people that I know who did get pets from there have spent an overwelming amout of money on vet bills and trying to save the poor animals lives. I agree that all animals have the right to life, and petco defiently doesn't see that. They only care about the money, and you can't say that's not true. If they actually cared about the animals why don't they listen to the letters they get, or the care sheets sent to them? I understand some chains such as petsmart have a few crappy stores, but it's different when more petco stores than not are as horrible as they are. You can't argue that they're fine, and that animals sometimes die. Yes sometimes animals die, but in petco they die all the time! Notice all of the lawsuits that have been up agains them? There has to be some hinkling of truth in those...You can't say that millions of people just wanted to complain about a store for no reason, that's stupid. Maybe if Petco got their act together and actually showed that they care about the animals, like some of you say they do...Then so many people wouldn't be so pissed at them.
AbnormalDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #20
masterofNone
________

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
Pssst, MoN, there are no-kill traps available. I used them to get rid of Mickey when I first moved in here.
yeah, i know. and i've used them. and, y'know, if i had a couple of mice that's the way to go. but i've also had a major infestation once when i was living on a farm in the eighties. herds of 'em scuttling across the kitchen floor. the live traps didn't work because they'd just figure out how to get back into the warm house. i learned my lesson then. sometimes you have to throw out the buddhist priniciples and just start killin the little ****ers. it sucked cuz they were cute as individuals but en masse they were vermin. so, yeah, i'm a fan of being humane up until the point where that idealism becomes a health hazard. then out come the spring traps.

they make hideous noises in the middle of the night. SNAP! wriggle wriggle wriggle. peanut butter works better than cheese.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 05:56 PM   #21
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

My dog has every right to be exactly what he is: my beloved spoiled rotten pet.

Cows have every right...to be my dinner, my coat, my shoes, my belt, my purse, etc. And to produce milk for my coffee, butter for my bread & pasta, cheeses for my discretionery use, ice cream, custard, yogurt, etc.

Why do I feel this way? I don't know. I just do.

Abnormal Donkey, welcome to the boards. Wanna drinky poo?

I've never been to a Petco, or a Petsmart, but I would never buy a pup from a store anyway. I'd like to see the mother & the other pups, make sure he will grow up healthy, etc.

Mice have been terrorizing me since 2000 in this apt. The building itself is over 150 years old, a historical landmark in this city, etc. When I was looking @ the place, the landlady said, "It's an old building, mice get in." So I can't say I wasn't warned, but they somehow got above my ceiling tiles!!! Every winter I put more poison down. I'd like to think that I didn't kill them & they ran free, far away, to big green fields full of cheese. But I know they ate the poison & went to the basement to die. *shrugs*

MoN, your story reminds me of my step grandfather. He had his wood shop out in the garage, and a little mouse would come visit him. He named the mouse Mickey & started FEEDING HIM!!!!! And then was surprised when he brought back friends, relatives, neighbors, etc.

So riddle me this: what do y'all think of deer hunting season?
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 06:59 PM   #22
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I wanted to get a chinchilla I saw at petco...the retail stores by me sound smaller than the ones I hear people talk about....the one by me has some cats up for adoption, kind of like the pound.......and guinee pigs, some birds, fish and hampsters..it seemed pretty clean, but yeah...the employees are a little off..have to agree with you there....my husband works for the corporate offices...everyone brings their pets to work...but he hates his job cause the executives all walk around like they invented a cure for cancer or something....wierd people.....

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 02:38 AM   #23
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

Don't all executives have that same attitude?

I saw Bette Midler on Letterman tonight and she said she loved Peta, cause they made the most delicious little bread pocket thingys.

Last edited by Audreyvgs : 03-10-2004 at 02:56 AM.
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #24
Willow Sylph
monkey

I've been a vegetarian since I was 15 - A lot of years now. The main reason I became a vegetarian was for ethical reasons. At that time I was quite influenced/inspired by PETA. Although I agree with their fundamental cause, I don't agree with how extreme they are. But alas...
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In every war there are radicals. Some feel this is the only way to get the point across.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Willow
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #25
Avalon

I am not going to get into the discussion of whether animals have rights or not. I will say that my belief is about the same place as Willow's.
I did find this today tho..and I had to laugh..so I am sharing it.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 04:23 PM   #26
fodder

in almost all special interest groups it's like 80% radicals and 20% rationals. when that many ppl get together and reinforce e/o and gain power by attacking other companies they get outa control

remember the NRA attacking Dell? that was ridiculous
luckily the rational (well, rational of the radicals - they still belong to NRA) ppl stepped in and saved the day
Old 04-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #27
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Wink

Quote:
In indoneiisia. theres a pact with cows. they are concidered relgious as all animals over there are.
BW: Sorry to a be a language Nazi, but I think you mean that the cows are "sacred." If the cows were religious, I am sure they would be considerably less docile than they are. They would probably be attacking Jews or blowing up mosques, or sending their calves to flight school so they could use commercial jets as missiles. The world is a dangerous enough place with religious people; let's hope cow's don't turn to god. It would be sure to spell the end of civilization. (And just imagine how it would complicate the subject of animal rights!)

(And BTW, this pact: I didn't know cows could use pens! Did these cows sign the agreement themselves, or did a PETA lawyer do it for them?)
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #28
Avalon

I agree with the basic original premise of PETA. They lost me when they started stalking me and sending me literature that left me so upset that my husband offered to pay me to not belong or read their stuff anymore.

My feelings are this..a basic respect for living things,be it 2 legged or 4. Anything else, I refuse to discuss or inflict on others, period. Just post a warning..and I will stay away..that is a promise.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 04-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #29
fodder

Quote:
[i]
My feelings are this..a basic respect for living things,be it 2 legged or 4. Anything else, I refuse to discuss or inflict on others, period. Just post a warning..and I will stay away..that is a promise. [/b]
you need to clean up this post, i can hardly understand what you're saying
Old 04-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #30
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by fodder
you need to clean up this post, i can hardly understand what you're saying
Okay fodder..since you are having a problem .
.basic repect for life....
I will not, as in refuse to discuss, my feelings on the subject, any further. I will not inflict my feelings on others.

post a warning..as in I AM POSTING SOMETHING OFFENSIVE TO ANIMAL LOVERS
I will stay away from the post..pretty self explanatory

clean enough now?

this was before ill fated commercial you posted.
Groucho Marx

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: