ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Et Cetera
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #61
Anna
n

Quote:
Read an article which sort of also had the future of love as topic, there isn't yet an English translation online, only the photo gallery which contains some of the statements made as captions. The main statement: Love will not die but both humans might prefer to love / have sex with hightech robots in the future - now, I dunno, sounds a bit unlikely to me... What do you think?
Isolation combined with narcissism and selfishness, yeah Androids will be big! Just think of all the people without partners, workaholics, handicapped, obese, frightened, deformed, and a whole host of other human foibles and fetishes. Itís the path of least resistance. People are already talking to their computers like they were cars. Even in their perfectly programmed imperfections robots will be too hard to resist. Youíll be donating and downloading your thoughts and ideas, gestures and clever little quips to robot banks for others to program, thus creating the perfect companion. People will start clubs and memberís only web sites, little cliques. Few disappointments, fewer divorce suits, but there will be resistance and out of that will come a new church, the church of the synthetic. People will argue, "How can something man made created out of mineral matter have a soul?" Others will dispute, "God created everything therefore robots are part of the plan." Some will ask, "Where in the bible did God mention inanimate objects?" and the reply will come, "In the beginning when God drove Adam and Eve out in a Fury!

If you build it they will come and the human drive for sex and acceptance has always been a very commanding and profitable force, there's no stopping progress, where would the Internet be today be without it?
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #62
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Am I the only person who worries about androids strangling us in our sleep? Really?
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #63
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
i met this robotics expert in a bar the other day and he expounded the theory that, as we are, in fact, merely a combination of chemical reactions, there is no actual difference between robots and ourselves.
so i bought him a drink and we discussed whether a robot could ever enjoy a pint of beer.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #64
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
Am I the only person who worries about androids strangling us in our sleep? Really?
i'm more worried about electro-gonorrhea: the noisy killer.

DON'T DATE ROBOTS!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:14 AM   #65
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
If you build it they will come and the human drive for sex and acceptance has always been a very commanding and profitable force, there's no stopping progress, where would the Internet be today be without it?
Hey, where would Polaroids and video cameras have been without the sex drive? We owe it a lot.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #66
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

@ Lukku: Gotta read that! (Asimov is unfortunately still a black spot in my scifi collection)

@ Anna: Now that all sounds not that unlikely anymore...

Mmh, suppose I'll have to move then to the colony of renegades on Jupiter moon Callista (first colonised by Ally McBeal fans, therefore the name, but these first inhabitants died of some disease).
Callista - where nabis (naturally grown and 100% biological humanoid lifeforms) still shag with and love other nabis (and if it's threeheaded Mars sheep... they ARE more or less humanoid don't let somebody tell you otherwise!!); Callista - famous for the most violent pub brawls in the solar system and the hyper-hallucinogen fungi which only grow there and their (illegal outside Callista - but who cares) selling is the main economic branch; Callista - where one of the inhabitants most beloved hobbies is shooting down the space-cruisers of unwished guests (Avon, Yehova's Witnesses, Lovebotics Interplanetary, the dudes who wanna read the heating, warm water and electricity meters, ...) before they can go on orbit (if you shoot one cruiser from orbit you only get 5 points, above orbit it's 20).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
we discussed whether a robot could ever enjoy a pint of beer.

(No but an advanced robot could mimic it perfectly, just like having an orgasm, loving somebody etc.)

Last edited by Stephi_B : 12-17-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #67
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston View Post
we discussed whether a robot could ever enjoy a pint of beer.
not if it's warm it couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi_B View Post
(No but an advanced robot could mimic it perfectly, just like having an orgasm, loving somebody etc.)
yes, and the robot could be programmed to not know he wasn't really enjoying it.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #68
Stephi_B

^You are into programming very realistic androids (not this dense sex toys, but bots with real bad mood, soul and all that stuff) - admit it! You should consider a British version though (fiddle a bit on the beer-thermosensor and the culinary software and it should work more or less)
Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #69
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
We found the chip butties would keep clogging up the hydraulics.
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:45 AM   #70
Stephi_B

Shit, well let's ship the Brits up to Callista, I heard somewhere out in the wildest parts of Outthereinthevoid, a day's travel north of Loch Mud there's a place where they even serve warm beer - and the greasiest fish n' chips imaginable (for it is said that combination would be the only cure against the hopping disease that's widespread out there...dunno I for my part would rather hop myself to death ).
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #71
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
Interesting thing about machines is that we expect that they'll do exactly as they're told every single time, barring mistakes in programming; so unless the robots are programmed to fall in love they will not -- right? Or are you imagining robots (and maybe other machines) that can say "No."? Bartleby the Computer. What would you do with a computer that could say to some command "I prefer not to"?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #72
Stephi_B

^Just think of HAL 9000, why should artificial intelligence from a certain level on not become independent? I mean they are working on self-learning algorithms, so - all is open I'd say.

Quote:
What would you do with a computer that could say to some command "I prefer not to"?
Mine (theo26, imo definitely male) does, quite often and less polite (OK, mostly it's my fault asking him the wrong thing or in the wrong way ) - have to restrain myself sometimes not to throw him out of the window... he's uni property that's why.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #73
Angry Kid Hoyt
How long was I asleep?

Love is real and will always be a part of the human experience.
I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't experienced deep, mad crazy love for another person.

(And I am very aware of the difference between lust and love)
Angry Kid Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #74
lukkucairi
lichtzauberer

I've figured out how to kill love:

just drink a lot of alcohol and wait until the next morning. nobody can love through a hangover.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #75
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^Yes, but unfortunately some of the same people who can't love through a hangover also can't love unless they're drunk.

Btw since we've gone off on the robots, let me say that while I may feel some reservation about love, I'm absofreakinglutely certain that sex is here to stay.

And perhaps it's merely a matter of time until I'm smitten with some broken-nosed, pie-loving astrophysicist and sounding like an idiot again.

I'm wondering about this because, by reading this thread, I've realized that the fact that I'm viscerally, fundamentally, irretrievably horrified by the idea of a relationship with an android means that somewhere deep down I still believe in the idea of a relationship between two humans.

Interesting.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: