ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 12:39 AM   #16
masterofNone
________

do we need to make a canadian social studies thread for you ladies?
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

I actually PMd Aphro asking her to come back to this thread because I'm greatly enjoying the exchange.

It won't hurt you to learn a little Canadian politics.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 12:52 AM   #18
special K
askldjnasd fde

Quote:
Originally posted by masterofNone
do we need to make a canadian social studies thread for you ladies?
zzzzzZZZzzz
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:01 AM   #19
masterofNone
________

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
It won't hurt you to learn a little Canadian politics.
that's where you're wrong.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:03 AM   #20
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Oh shush.

Both of you.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:08 AM   #21
special K
askldjnasd fde

Would you like to see my goalie stick?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #22
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

[quote]Originally posted by nycwriters
[b]No shit! What made you move north?

parents

Yeah I heard she was running -- not sure that it has anything more to do with her being the 15 minute spotlight at a time of election though ...
Agreed. I just thought it noteable.

...it's the first time in a long time I can recall an internal investigation of this caliber ... of course I won't be surprised if they all find loopholes to excuse themselves. Bah.

This is just one of the more publicly acknowledged Internal Investigations. Have you noticed that Bevan's name is all over this? He who was part of the Bernardo investigation team.

1400 is not a significant number of soldiers in an army of 85,000. Pulling out 1400 soldiers from Afghanistan, with other envoys -- Australia, France included -- already there, wouldn't make that signficant a change in the status quo there. Putting those 1400 soldiers in Iraq WOULD show support in the international arena of being on the same page as the USA -- a cooperative effort for an immediate neighbor.

You are correct in your shock at the low number of actual soldiers in the field. Remember though that our soldiers are also in Haiti and Bosnia. 1400 are in Afghanistan. Although there are other countries there, we are not about to just drop our obligation there and run to another. To pull the soldiers from a country that does need them, as a show of support, is both harsh and cruel to the abandoned country. It is also thoughtless and rather pompous of the country that does it don't you agree?
If both jobs need to be done, we will finish what we have committed to and then move on to the next. The world is definately not looking to Canada to be it's military strength. Remember Canada has not had a request yet.

If you mean it came about three years after 911, then I agree. Up until the Arar spectacle, Canadians were NOT lumped in with other foreigners as a "security threat."

It also came about after it was brought to light just how many links to al-queda were leading back to this country. We made arrests, Buffalo made arrests. Our borders now have bomb sniffing and xrays capable of examining vehicles passing through. This tightening isn't Bush vs Chretien, but a terrorism protection procedure.

They still haven't asked Mexicans.

Interesting observation, but without more knowledge than the fact that the US/Mexico border is notoriously penetrable, I cannot make a statement without assumption.

Oh man. Martin has been around a looong loooong time. I can't believe people have forgotten the number he did when he was budget minister and the ensuing stagflation that followed.

Do you remember Harris? No one can beat the way Harris defacated all over our finances. Those coming immediately before or after his stint as budget minister looked like angels in white.

The guy simply tiptoed in though. No big party, no hoopla. Just woke up one morning and they discussed Chretien's departure almost like, "Oh and by the way, our new PM is Martin."
Old 05-19-2004, 02:01 AM   #23
shmitty
monkey

I don't care where you are from, everyone has a say so when it comes to global conflicts. And EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion. I just don't have to agree with all of them. And more often then not, I don't.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams
shmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 02:03 AM   #24
special K
askldjnasd fde

Anyone under the age of 35 is an idiot.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:22 AM   #25
shmitty
monkey

thast exactly what i say SpecialK just read my bio. anyway, back to the original discussion....

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams
shmitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: