ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #1
masterofNone
________

if not howard who?

i missed howard dean's televised meltdown on tuesday night... but i've read the reports. it's hard to imagine a presidential candidate recovering from having his sanity questioned by the new york times... especially with such good video coverage of the event. i was a big fan of the movement, and to some degree of the guy's ideas... so if not dean then who?
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
rmr

Dean Disarms Hecklers with National Anthem
Tue January 20, 2004 06:05 PM ET

CONCORD, N.H. (Reuters) - Democratic presidential contender Howard Dean on Tuesday unleashed an unlikely weapon to disarm hecklers -- the U.S. national anthem.
When a rally at the New Hampshire Technical Institute in Concord was interrupted for a second time, the former Vermont governor led his supporters in a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner to drown them out.

Earlier, Dean had called for security to remove a couple of protesters who were shouting and waving the Confederate flag, a divisive symbol of racism and slavery in the South. As they were hustled out, Dean requested they not be "manhandled."

Last year, Dean was roundly attacked for making an insensitive remark about wanting to be the candidate for "guys with the Confederate flag on their pickups." He later apologized for the remark.

Dean criticized the hecklers, saying they "refuse to respect our right of free speech" and told the crowd:

"But you can exercise your right to vote and that's the way we're going to take back our country. The way to deal with what you have seen this afternoon is to vote."

---------------------------------------------

I like Joe Liberman.......but he doesn't have an ice cubes chance in hell to get the nomination.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
masterofNone
________

yeah... hmmm. no. lieberman doesn't look like he'll survive new hampshire.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
masterofNone
________

There's a Little Dean in Me
Paul Vitello
January 22, 2004

It is true Howard Dean may not make a great presidential candidate.

He is a little odd. He seems prone to mood swings - sometimes too self-contained, sometimes too loose, as when he almost blew a gasket in Iowa the other night.

As a presidential candidate, he is a work in progress, at best. And there is no denying it. He has been angry, indignant, childlike in his insistence on screaming that the emperor has no clothes; so unbending in his political argument that often even people who agree with him can't stand the sound of his voice.

This may not be what you want to see in a presidential candidate.

But it is exactly what I see when I look in the mirror.

Dean has spoken for me. Whether I ever get to vote for him or not, Dean has captured the real frustration in me, and I suspect millions of people, as citizens of a country gone nuts.

I have liked the campaigns of some of the other Democratic candidates. Al Sharpton and Dennis Kucinich, in particular, spoke well. But Dean is the only one who ever voiced the level of anger and alienation I've felt since the launch of the war in Iraq.

For that, I thank him. He pulled me back from the brink. You can't be truly alienated from the political process if there is someone running for president on your platform of indignation.

In psychobabble-speak, Dean validated my sense of betrayal and, by extension, my sense of patriotism; because when I look in the mirror, I don't just see an angry guy - I see an angry, patriotic American guy.

We don't have to go through the bill of particulars about the betrayal. But maybe we will anyway. At this point, it seems possible that Dean won't be going through them much anymore. After losing in the Iowa caucuses, he has toned down his speech in an effort to broaden his appeal. He seems to be listening more to advisers. This may make him a better candidate, but it won't make him a better citizen.

The angry Citizen Dean was right on all counts:

President George W. Bush launched the war on Iraq without evidence that Iraq played any role in 9/11 or in any other terrorist attacks against the United States.

Bush's government virtually suppressed intelligence from within its own agencies warning us that there was no hard evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

Bush insisted on this massive expenditure on this unnecessary war while the economy was in the tank.

Bush thumbed his nose at the United Nations and our European allies when our own intelligence community - and probably our own State Department - knew that their doubts about the war were justified.

Bush insisted on a second massive tax cut in two years, primarily for the wealthy, in the midst of this vastly expensive and needless war.

The capture of Saddam Hussein did not make the world safer from terrorism.

This is just the bill of particulars in foreign affairs. Dean has made a strong case against the Bush government's domestic policies, too. But the point is, he did it first and he did it resoundingly. He said the war was wrong, and he never added a "but ... "

He may never get his party's nomination. But I wish to hereby thank him on behalf of all the odd, mood-swinging, gasket-blowing patriotic Americans out here. It did us all good to see those veins popping in your neck.

Copyright 2004, Newsday, Inc.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #5
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I hope he makes it.

http://clarkbars.8m.com/clark1.jpg

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:16 AM   #6
amfromme
monkey

Your passion inspired me to register on this board masterofnone. I like to think that many people are waking up and speaking out more these days.

I've felt somewhat betrayed by the Democrats for some time. They have been silent and ineffective. The Republican's, no- the neo-cons have had really no opposition and their agenda goes foward with little or no resistance. You are right Masterofnone. Howard Dean (even if he does remind me of Patrick from SpongeBob Squarepants) spoke his mind and shed some needed light on the truth reguardless of the inevitable attacks and questions of his patriotism.

Unfortunately I think the Dems. may be doomed in this election. I hope that enough people get more concerned with the direction this current aristocracy is taking us. If so, no matter who runs against President Bush should be supported with the idea of removal. I hope that no matter who it is, Rep.,Dem.,Green,Lib,etc.. I hope(maybe unrealisticly) that a new administration will come forward that is interested in the truth and not so concerned with maintaining the United States' global superiority. Because doesn't this goal really only benifit a very small group of Ivy league, captains of industry, elite that are far to insulated from any of the consequenses of their own actions?

I wish the Republicans had primarys in this election as well. The canidate wouldn't have a chance but at least there would be another voice that the idealogs(sp?) on the right wouldn't tune out.

If Howard Dean or the Democratic party can't bring a good fight to the election how can we all not feel helpless. I've heard talk even from many on the conservitive right that they may not even cast a vote for any candidate. I guess this may send some kind of message. Maybe, it might just be a good time to give some support to another party. Not the candidate so much or even a hope of victory. But this could be the start of climbing out of this useless two party system that give us pre-approved candidates that in the long run just run the same machine. Just a thought.

Thanks to all of you for this space and the oppertunity to get over this oppressive feeling of being completely disconnected and powerless over it all.

AMF
amfromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:03 PM   #7
Saxifrage
monkey

I still support Dean, they call him an angry man as though that's a bad thing. Well, dammit, there is a lot to be angry about in the present administration. I do not now, nor will I support Kerry, he is an old Skull and Bones brother and as beholden to big money as W. is. I wil admit Kerry has the stronger war service record and can put it up against W.'s AWOL status any day.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #8
masterofNone
________

yeah. dean has weathered the storm fairly well. i'm sticking with him until the michigan primary or until it becomes mathematically impossible for him to get enough delegates. the important thing is to get bush out of there.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:16 PM   #9
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Although in a perfect world I'd be behind Kuchinich ( I usually vote Green)...I think that I'm voting for Dean...mainly because I think he can still appeal to replicans that will vote against anyone that seems to green / might take our guns away sympathetic.
Basically because I also do agree with our new member (Welcome!) that the goal has to be get the current pack of jackels out.

edit
...heh...I spelled repubicans "replicans"...I certainly hope not
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
fodder

iz gona be kerry
Old 02-02-2004, 11:55 PM   #11
masterofNone
________

prolly. too bad. he's a stiff.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:57 PM   #12
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Kerry doesn't have the presence that America loves in a leader. He looks too meek. My guess is that W's gonna get in again. I would have liked to seen Dean run, but he was bad at damage control and it spiralled.

I think the only guy who can seriously go up against the W is Clarke -- I read somewhere that he's the only one who could feesibly stand up to Bush's pro-war campaign and say with credibility because of his resume and experience, that more war is not the answer, that Iraq was wrong.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 12:36 AM   #13
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I think the Dem's really dropped the ball on this election

once again...

I say we bring back Clinton!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: