ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #1
red
elite rabble

Once more with feeling

I just saw that Hurricane Frances is heading towards Florida's west coast.
Batten down the hatchlings again!!
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Old 08-30-2004, 03:33 AM   #3
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

I'm not takin the boards off the windows til OCT.

Im serious, they're still on, cept the one infront of me now, that made me so claustrophobic, but there is none of that annoying reflection anymore on the tv screen.

It's way unnattractive, but they were a sonofabitch to get on.
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:27 AM   #4
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Man, you guys are getting hammered this year!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #5
red
elite rabble

too bad it's not the fun kinda hammered!
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

I'm putting off going on vacation for a couple days. Vickie is kinda stove up so she wouldn't be able to handle any kind of hurricane preparation and the official track forecast right now has it headed straight for us!
We'll know more by Thursday or Friday what to expect.
daverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #7
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Ma, who lives in Key Largo, is aggravated as hell by all this. It hasn't affected them directly (yet -- knock wood) but she says the local government starts acting like complete idiots as soon as there is even a hint of an approaching storm. Drives her nuts. (And having had me for a kid, she doesn't need the ride -- she could walk.)

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #8
imdrsmooth

About 3 years ago I would ask why people choose to live in a place you know will be hit with hurricanes or tornados but I'm now living in in a state that is hit by earthquakes. I can't really go anywhere else to work in this industry except maybe New York and I wouldn't live there because of the weather.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Coffee
Cheeses Save

I'll take earthquakes over hurricanes or tornados ANY day.
Especially since building codes here make most structures earthquake resistant (nothing is proof against a reallllly big one).

Good luck to you folks living in twister and Wet-ster lands.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

Geez, just think of what they get hit with there in NY, airplanes and republican conventions. I'll take the hurricanes.

Midwest gets tornadoes, other places flood. Vermont gets too much snow, far as I can see...
Old 08-30-2004, 04:20 PM   #11
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

Quote:
Originally posted by sparticle
Ma, who lives in Key Largo, is aggravated as hell by all this. It hasn't affected them directly (yet -- knock wood) but she says the local government starts acting like complete idiots as soon as there is even a hint of an approaching storm. Drives her nuts. (And having had me for a kid, she doesn't need the ride -- she could walk.)
I know! first hint of a storm, and they walk up to your house with a bullhorn and order you OUT! And what do you get if you don't leave? Arrested!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Quote:
Originally posted by Audreyvgs
Geez, just think of what they get hit with there in NY, airplanes and republican conventions. I'll take the hurricanes.

Midwest gets tornadoes, other places flood. Vermont gets too much snow, far as I can see...
LOL! Yeah, and it's so much harder to recover from Republicans than it is from hurricanes!

I have to say that I'd take earthquakes, too, if the ONLY criterion one uses for choosing a place is its typical natural disaster.

Damaging earthquakes aren't very common, whereas hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, blizzards, etc., are constant. Also, earthquakes only last a few seconds -- one minute max -- and then you move on to other things.

My house has been through quakes without a scratch (and in 98 years, it only had to go through one fairly severe one) Whereas simple, seasonal thunderstorms over the past 30 years have done well over $100K in damage to my mother's house in Washington DC. (Granted, she can get insurance for her disasters and I can't, but still...)

And anyway, earthquakes -- if your house doesn't fall on your head and kill you -- are sorta fun! People pay big money to experience that type of thrill at Great America and Disney World!

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #13
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Quote:
Originally posted by Smartypants

And anyway, earthquakes -- if your house doesn't fall on your head and kill you -- are sorta fun! People pay big money to experience that type of thrill at Great America and Disney World!
I agree...I look forward to them!
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:43 PM   #14
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
yeah, you tornado/hurricane/typhoon/flood/blizzard people: when was the last time natural disaster struck and you shouted, "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" ??

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #15
Spicy Jack
Brains! Brains!

Earthquakes are nothing. The house shakes more when the garage door opens or a plane flies low. It is kinda fun to see what shook off the shelves though, if anything.

When we had the biggish one a long time ago there were tons of aftershocks. The fault ran from the mountains toward my house, so I could look out my bedroom window and watch them come my way like ocean waves. It was really neat to watch the trees and houses roll up and down as it went thru.
Spicy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: