ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 190 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #4351
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
prognathous - in hermaphroditic animals, producing the male gamete before the female.

"Golly," said Neil to himself as he walked home from practice with the Scrabble pro at the Monash Club, "I guess since I can't get a date, it's a good thing after all that I'm prognathous."
Old 02-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #4352
Brynn
constantly amazed

prognathous - n. a giant, sequin-encrusted, phallus-shaped beer bong used in fraternity hazing rituals.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #4353
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
prognathous - n. a giant, sequin-encrusted, phallus-shaped beer bong used in fraternity hazing rituals.

It's zircon-encrusted. And hey, is that a real prognathous, or a Sears prognathous?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #4354
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

Hmmm. no foolin....
Old 02-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #4355
Marcus Bales

prognathous - a joke so obscure that they take longer to explicate than to tell.

In practically the very definition of a prognathous, Funkytuba said, "hmmm. no foolin".
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #4356
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post
prognathous - a joke so obscure that they take longer to explicate than to tell.

In practically the very definition of a prognathous, Bales said, "It's zircon-encrusted. And hey, is that a real prognathous, or a Sears prognathous?".
FYP HTH HAND
Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #4357
Marcus Bales

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkytuba View Post
FYP HTH HAND
Hey, Tuba, YOU got it -- and then made an even more obscure joke. If anyone's joke is prognathous, it's yours and your pygmy pony's.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #4358
Brynn
constantly amazed

prognathous - a completely gratuitous, tedious, unnecessary self-indulgent summary, delivered with obnoxious enthusiasm in spite of factual errors.

"Okay noobs, welcome to my brain! Here's the prognathous you've all been waiting for! This latest round of The Dictionary Game has its roots in June of 2011, when Lukuu (an artist and prolific creative engineer of blinky lights and papier-mache) introduced the word "abacot." Since she actually has a life, she then turned all of her energies to preparing for Burning Man and blew off the game. Six months later to the day, she struggled to come to a decision, but finally sentenced Ysa, a brilliant, idealistic, imaginative but impetuous young teacher who likes llamas, to judge the current round now taking place. She responded promptly, because she is at heart a responsible sort who takes games of all sorts very seriously. Her word choice? "Prognathous."

Perhaps inspired by the Latin roots of the word, Cleveland curmudgeon, scholar and anti-postmodernist language-loving poet Marcus immediately fired off the opening salvo with his usual affectionate homage to Dinsdale, a beloved zemonkey with an earthy sense of humor who has not posted for several years now (reportedly because of his fourth or fifth marriage to a wife who wisely forbids him to go on the internet).

Coffee, a thrifty, good-hearted sea-going smart-aleck with long flowing sexy locks, a very sharp sense of smell and a pet peeve about people who use too much toilet paper, took time off from painting portraits of rich people's yachts to retort with an expression of disgust - a gentlemanly gesture not lost on the ladies of the board.

Funkytuba, a jovial, witty, married father of (two? five? six or seven?) kids and cats, peacemaker and tuba expert, broke the tension with a pun, one of his special gifts.

Then Marcus, who created the Dictionary Thread (and is renowned for his cordial reminders to participants to judge the game that, if ignored, are followed by open mockery on the board) then replied with a characteristic bit of self-deprecating humor while deftly employing the word "they" to suggest that he was not the only one in the online community who was whiny and annoying.

On New Year's Day, Xfox, a kind, mysterious, optimistic woman of intelligence, taste, and cryptic observations chimed in with her usual kind, mysterious, tasteful & intelligent but cryptic definition that always requires one or two extra readings to get the full meaning. Readers are nevertheless left slightly puzzled and oddly intrigued and inspired as usual.

One hour later, unpersuaded by Xfox's declaration of optimism, Marcus answered with an emotionally-revealing definition suggesting that perhaps he was not having a Happy New Year after all.

That's when cheerful but discerning photographer, world-traveling Australian Buddhist (with - I suspect- an unbearable office job) Hyakujo's Fox, took a break from reducing his wordscraping Scrabble FB opponents to tears in order to bait Marcus out of the doldrums by making good-natured fun of the quote under Marcus' avatar. Quite cleverly, Hyakujo's Fox also managed to sneak a life lesson in there loaded with sage advice about living in the present moment, and shucking off the baggage of the past in order to proceed in harmony with other lifeforms.

Marcus, thus cheered, proceeded to good-naturedly rib Hyakujo's Fox about his penis.

With normalcy restored, Brynn, a prickly, under-employed, over-sensitive actress with severe emotional problems, was inspired by Marcus' penis joke, and in a desire to bring conciliation over long-standing resentments, felt safe to go with that theme, employing a long-standing personal bias against drunken frat members - particularly beer-bloated brain-damaged homophobic ones from the Bible Belt. This stemmed from an agonizing near-suicidal year at University of Texas in Austin when she, mourning the recent death of her emotionally abusive father, was forced to walk past idiots parked in lawn chairs on the front lawn of a frat house on the way to class while they shouted jeers of "FREAK!" at her impoverished hippie garb in the ignorant twang of the region.

It was then unclear how Marcus responded to that definition, in thoughtful retrospect. It must be noted that in the past, Brynn and Marcus have traded barbs that have not been altogether friendly, due in no small part to things written on the board as far back in 2005. It is only in recent years, after a "cooling off" period of no interaction whatsoever, they actually "friended" each other on Facebook, where, in detente, they did not actually post direct comments to each other, Brynn found many things to hit the "like" button on in regards to Marcus, celebrating their commonalities.
She has yet to invite him to play "Wordscraper" out of simple fear of rejection and exposure.
So it was with innocent pleasure that she noted that Marcus then expanded upon her definition, putting, essentially, "diamonds" on the soul of of her beer bong, and, to Brynn's utter delight, even added a jibe at Sears.

Apparently, blinded by the joy of interaction, whatever Marcus was getting at went over her head.
Funkytuba, intuitively catching a deeper meaning to Marcus' joke - possibly something to do with vibrators - offered a non-committal "Hmmm.no foolin..." that Marcus seized upon in his fifth definition of the round, this time including Funkytuba. Funkytuba, a man of science and prodigious tech abilities in his working life, then responded with a sardonic "FYP HTH HAND" which, decoded in techspeak, means "For your pleasure. Hope that helps. HAND." Or, to be more precise, according to the Urban Dictionary:

1. Acronym. "Hope that helps." or "Happy to help."

2. An acronym standing for "hope this helps", used sarcastically after answering a dumb question or pointing out an obvious oversight to a person of inferior mental qualities. Limited generally to message board posting.
Princeton doesn't have a law school. HTH.

3. Hope This Helps or Hope That Helped. Used frequently on tech-support type forums, and also jokingly as a dismissive term after offering no help whatsoever. Often followed by HAND.

At which point, Brynn noted with a curious mixture of satisfaction and self-loathing that she was about to post a definition that not only further illustrated Marcus' last definition ("prognathous - a joke so obscure that they take longer to explicate than to tell.") but it also included other definitions within the definition, thus elevating her own personal standards for a game that for many years has only elicited her most perfunctory of efforts in order to successfully avoid being selected judge at the next round.

Moreover, just as she was about to press "submit reply," she realized that she had also successfully channeled Mojorisin on this one, and it made her happy. She could now go back to lurking disconsolately on the edges of the board, her personal "All Things To Do With the Current Round of Dictionary Game" prognathous complete."
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #4359
Brynn
constantly amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Bales View Post

It's zircon-encrusted. And hey, is that a real prognathous, or a Sears prognathous?
Ah. You're simply joking about real vs. fake diamonds.
facepalm
Being paranoid on top of everything else certainly skews a lot of perfectly innocent remarks.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #4360
Marcus Bales

prognathous -- ingenuity of explanation so amusingly off the mark that it becomes an alternate artform.

Within the prognathous Dictionary Game itself Brynn offered a definition so wildly prognathous that it created its own compelling persuasiveness as it went along.

But just to show that I'd welcome a game of Wordscraper with Brynn on Facebook so she should have no fear of rejection about that, though I do not remember the tension on the Zefrank Range to which she alludes, and which may be only a part of her prognathously prognathous prognathousism designed to put me off my game, I offer the following sets of lyrics from Frank Zappa (with links to youtube videos in the parentheses) to show Brynn the seriously prognathous quality of the Tuba's and my exchange:

Moving to Montana
Frank Zappa
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ialhaxhr7iA)

I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss
Raisin' it up
Waxin' it down
In a little white box
I can sell uptown
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely
dental floss
Raisin' my lonely
dental floss
Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
For somebody else...
but then, on the other hand
I'd keep the wax and melt it down
Pluck some Floss and swish it around
I'd have me a crop
And it'd be on top.

That's why I'm movin' to Montana
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a Dental Floss tycoon
(yes I am)
Movin' to Montana soon
Gonna be a dental floss tycoon
I'm pluckin' the old dental floss
That's growin' on the prairie
Pluckin' the floss!
I plucked all day an' all night
and all afternoon...
I'm ridin' a small tiny hoss
(His name is MIGHTY LITTLE)
He's a good hoss
Even though He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
He's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or
Blanket on anyway
Any way I'm pluckin' the ol' dental floss
Even if you think it is a little silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks
I don't care if you think it's silly, folks
I'm gonna find me a horse
Just about this big
An' ride him all along the border line
With a pair of heavy-duty
Zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand
Every other wrangler would say
I was mighty grand
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss
But I'd be raisin' my lonely Dental Floss
Raisin' my lonely Dental Floss
Raisin' my lonely Dental Floss
Well I might Ride along the border
With my tweezers gleamin'
In the moon-lighty night
And then I'd Get a cuppa cawfee
N' give my foot a push...
Just me 'n the pymgy pony
Over the dental floss bush
And then I might just jump back on
An' ride Like a cowboy
Into the dawn
to Montana
Movin' to Montana soon.

Camarillo Brillo
Frank Zappa
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nllWDc8_9lw)

She had that
Camarillo brillo
Flamin out along her head,
I mean her mendocino bean-o
By where some bugs had made it red

She ruled the toads
Of the short forest
And every newt in idaho
And every cricket who had chorused
By the bush in buffalo

She said she was a magic mama
And she could throw a mean tarot
And carried on without a comma
That she was someone I should know

She had a snake for a pet
And an amulet
And she was breeding a dwarf
But she wasn't done yet
She had gray-green skin
A doll with a pin
I told her she was alright
But I couldnt come in
(I couldnt come in right then...)

And so she wandered
Through the door-way
Just like a shadow from the tomb
She said her stereo was four-way
And I'd just love it in her room

Well, I was born
To have adventure
So I just followed up the steps
Right past her fuming incense stencher
To where she hung her castanets

She stripped away
Her rancid poncho
An laid out naked by the door
We did it till we were un-concho
And it was useless any more

She had a snake for a pet
And an amulet
And she was breeding a dwarf
But she wasn't done yet
She had gray-green skin
A doll with a pin
I told her she was alright
But I couldnt come in
(actually, I was very busy then)

And so she wandered
Through the door-way
Just like a shadow from the tomb
She said her stereo was four-way
And I'd just love it in her room

Well, I was born
To have adventure
So I just followed up the steps
Right past her fuming incense stencher
To where she hung her castanets

She said she was a magic mama
And she could throw a mean tarot
And carried on without a comma
That she was someone I should know

(is that a real poncho...i mean
Is that a mexican poncho
Or is that a sears poncho?
Hmmm...no fooling ...)

Last edited by Marcus Bales : 02-09-2012 at 02:28 AM.
Marcus Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #4361
Brynn
constantly amazed

Well, that was enchanting
Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #4362
Marcus Bales

So are you a Zappa fan, now?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #4363
Brynn
constantly amazed

You know, I like it very much - I've just never listened to his music, so I'd like to now.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #4364
Marcus Bales

prognathous - insincere intention

Taken aback by the direct question, she offered a prognathous evasion: "I've just never listened to his music, so I'd like to now."
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #4365
Brynn
constantly amazed

"Oh you catfish. Nipping and charging around the tank, keeping the rest of us fit and trim. How prognathous you are!" she said as she gave him a friendly shove.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: