ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 12:12 AM   #31
Clytie
thundering is my favorite
 
Clytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: motivated to be all i can be
Posts: 3,827
i never said it was ok to hate gays...and i think all of you by now should know that i dont! i think i have rambled enuff about how much i love Todd. and he is as gay as they come. So here i am... a Christian. and i do NOT hate gays and i do not believe that the bible teaches that at all!
__________________
your star shaped heart
has reached out to me
and together our hearts beat as one
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:14 AM   #32
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles
 
priceyfatprude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: under your desk
Posts: 9,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
i never said it was ok to hate gays...and i think all of you by now should know that i dont! i think i have rambled enuff about how much i love Todd. and he is as gay as they come. So here i am... a Christian. and i do NOT hate gays and i do not believe that the bible teaches that at all!
I know you don't.

What does Tiki think?
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 AM   #33
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.
 
Smartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Posts: 3,967
I also know you don't hate gays, Clytie, but how do you reconcile your feelings with others who share your love of the Bible?

By the way, I know you love Todd, but do you also accept him, unconditionally? How does that work if most of your fellow Christians thinks his sexual preference is unacceptable?
__________________

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:41 AM   #34
Coffee
Cheeses Save
 
Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
**** dinosaurs.

I want to know why it's ok to hate gays.

well...ok, so do I...

but I want to know why Noah forgot to put Dinosaurs on the Ark...some of them would have fit besides just lizards and crocodilles...wtf Noah?
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #35
craig johnston
dalai clique
 
craig johnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Posts: 5,609
prolly pretty hard to persuade a t.rex to get on a
boat doncha think? what do you do? here little dino,
come to daddy...

there are lots of christians who don't hate gays. there are
lots of christians who are gays.
i just want to know how they can base their whole lives on
something so illogical.
__________________
the tea leaf family
craig johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:55 PM   #36
Saxifrage
monkey
 
Saxifrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Angband
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
prolly pretty hard to persuade a t.rex to get on a
boat doncha think? what do you do? here little dino,
come to daddy...

there are lots of christians who don't hate gays. there are
lots of christians who are gays.
i just want to know how they can base their whole lives on
something so illogical.
I am not certain whether you meant that it is illogical to hate homosexuals (which it is) or illogical to be a christian. While I personally find it illogical for myself to be a christian I understand why it appeals to people. Everyone needs something to believe in whether it be a deity, their family, their career or simply the strength of their own personal abilities.

The promise of most groups of christians is that, through proper behavior, you will recieve the blessing of eternal life, a damn fine reward. This inhibits believers from being outright criminals due to the fear of an ever watching security officer. Keeps people from killing each other in the streets (hopefully) and contributes to the beginnings of a civilisation or society.

Here is a question that I would like to put to the christian population:

If I were to lead a perfectly sin free life but never accept Christ as my savior and die unrepentant while a very bad man who sinned greatly (ordered murders, started wars etc.) and accepted Christ as his savior only at the moment of death which one of us would go to Heaven?*

* A bit of a run-on sentence but you get the idea.
__________________
The Dude abides.
Saxifrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #37
craig johnston
dalai clique
 
craig johnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Posts: 5,609
wups! my bad! they were different ideas.
i mean that christianity is illogical. burning bushes,
fire breathing monsters, virgin conceptions etc.

of course, being gay is illogical too, but at least gays
are stylish and fun at parties
__________________
the tea leaf family
craig johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #38
shmitty
monkey
 
shmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxifrage
The promise of most groups of christians is that, through proper behavior, you will recieve the blessing of eternal life, a damn fine reward. This inhibits believers from being outright criminals due to the fear of an ever watching security officer. Keeps people from killing each other in the streets (hopefully) and contributes to the beginnings of a civilisation or society.

Here is a question that I would like to put to the christian population:

If I were to lead a perfectly sin free life but never accept Christ as my savior and die unrepentant while a very bad man who sinned greatly (ordered murders, started wars etc.) and accepted Christ as his savior only at the moment of death which one of us would go to Heaven?*

* A bit of a run-on sentence but you get the idea.
Yes. However, you can just say "I'm sorry please forgive me." really quick without really meaning it. If you truly ask then you will be forgiven. It also says that everyone will recieve their just punishment. So, in my opinion I believe that EVERYONE will recieve some sort of punishment before going to heaven. That's just my take on it.
__________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams
shmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:55 PM   #39
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.
 
Smartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
of course, being gay is illogical too, but at least gays are stylish and fun at parties
LOL!! (And don't forget, much less thin-skinned about being stereotyped! )
__________________

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #40
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.
 
Smartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmitty
It also says that everyone will recieve their just punishment. So, in my opinion I believe that EVERYONE will recieve some sort of punishment before going to heaven. That's just my take on it.
Aha! Now I see why you find Christainanity is so appealing! Wait until I tell all the guys down at Daddy's Whippin' Post and Piercin' Parlor. I think I can find you some willing candidates for Chr'inanity!
__________________

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:09 PM   #41
craig johnston
dalai clique
 
craig johnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Posts: 5,609
^^^^^
yeah, that's so wack! why should we all be punished?
what have i done wrong? why do we all have to feel
guilty all the time. fok dat, i'm not going there.
there's so many people going around with these ideas,
cos it ain't just christian inanities those jewish and
moslem folks be giving it all that guilt crap too. i mean,
don't we have enough problems without telling ourselves
we're guilty all the time?
__________________
the tea leaf family
craig johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:25 PM   #42
Clytie
thundering is my favorite
 
Clytie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: motivated to be all i can be
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
I also know you don't hate gays, Clytie, but how do you reconcile your feelings with others who share your love of the Bible?

By the way, I know you love Todd, but do you also accept him, unconditionally? How does that work if most of your fellow Christians thinks his sexual preference is unacceptable?
i accept him completely... i can not speak for everyone else. But the Bible is pretty clear about God and his love for everyone. He sent Jesus to die for the sins of the world...not just for the straight ppl.
__________________
your star shaped heart
has reached out to me
and together our hearts beat as one
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #43
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.
 
Smartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig johnston
^^^^^
yeah, that's so wack! why should we all be punished?
what have i done wrong? why do we all have to feel
guilty all the time. fok dat, i'm not going there.
there's so many people going around with these ideas,
cos it ain't just christian inanities those jewish and
moslem folks be giving it all that guilt crap too. i mean,
don't we have enough problems without telling ourselves
we're guilty all the time?
What's more distressing to me is that kids are taught morality based on the rewards and punishments coming to them in an afterlife: Be good now if you want to get to heaven; be bad and suffer infernal damnation.

In an interview on TV, Susan Jacoby (Freethinkers) spoke about often being approached by those who thought it impossible for her to have a "moral compass" without a belief in the Bible's teachings about heaven and hell. After a lecture she gave, one man approached her and asked, "If you don't believe in hell, what keeps you from going out and committing murder?" As an atheist, I've gotten this question, too. Isn't that sad? (Jacoby was incredulous, as it had never occurred to her to commit murder, even without the threat of hell dangled in front of her.) It would be so nice to believe that man had the capacity for good within him based on wanting to make this life (the only one I believe we have) better, rather than having the desire for reward or fear of punishment in a theoretical afterlife be the only reason for moral behavior.

Do Christians have so little faith in man's capacity for love and kindness that they require the promise of heaven or the fear of hell in order to treat each other with mutual respect?
__________________

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith

Last edited by Smartypants : 02-18-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:29 PM   #44
craig johnston
dalai clique
 
craig johnston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
Posts: 5,609
jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine.
__________________
the tea leaf family
craig johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #45
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.
 
Smartypants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Posts: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clytie
i accept him completely... i can not speak for everyone else. But the Bible is pretty clear about God and his love for everyone. He sent Jesus to die for the sins of the world...not just for the straight ppl.
Well, Clytie, that makes you the exception. Remember that majority of voters you think I'm being such a sore loser about. The majority of your fellow Christians in this country don't share your interpretation. Are you sure the Bible you believe in is the same one the President and his supporters read?
__________________

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.