ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2004, 04:37 PM   #31
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by dinzdale
This has notingto do with the Innuit, this was a one off cull that was requested and granted to Canandian fishermen. This is the first time in 15 years they have been allowed to cut back on seal populations.
whenever there is a major farking mess such as this, you can always bet the government is behind it, ours or someone elses.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #32
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I think we should make a big anarchy. It would be fun. Since professional sports are so goddamn dull any more, it would add some suspense. And I think we should take the anarchy on the road, bring it to whatever town needs it the most, like a traveling circus or something.

How do you make an anarchy? I've got some plywood in the garage, and an old lawnmower chassis....

I'm sick of the government, and I think the President is a buttknob. I don't care what they do in Canada, it's gotta be better than this.
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #33
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
This has notingto do with the Innuit, this was a one off cull that was requested and granted to Canandian fishermen. This is the first time in 15 years they have been allowed to cut back on seal populations.
Not to make light of this, but it's a shame seals don't make convenient pets...
They're awfully cute.
Of course, that wouldn't solve the problem, 'cos then all these kids would want seals, and they wouldn't be ready for the responsibility, and then there would be a whole bunch of abandoned seals... gah.

Never mind.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #34
Wldchld
in the middle of it

Quote:
2 weeks ago the Canadian government gave out licences to cull 350,000 seals to help rejuvenate fishing stocks. The seal population was rising rapidly, all of which would mean less, more expensive, fish and the seals in turn starving to death on a limited supply that was not being renewed. It's gross, it's ugly, but it was the option chosen by a government and it's people. The people actually doing the slaughter are protecting their livelyhood. Unfortunately.
Blame the people who eat fish.....Oh that's me. Sorry.
I get the point of protecting their livelyhood, I just wish there could have been a better way. It's horrible & I still can't bring myself to believe it was the only way. When the number has been met they are no longer allowed to hunt the seals?
Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #35
Wldchld
in the middle of it

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphrodite
Hey that would be a great business to open. A hotel for people who just have run of the mill flus and colds and stuff. Not like a hospital or a hostel. Just a hotel where some nurse pops her head in to ask if you want another blanket or a drink. Takes your temp and stuff.

Room service 24/7. Jacuzzi and all the amenities.
Hey that would be great! Just a the perfect amount of pampering, enough to get some good rejuvinating rest. I want to go there now!!
Old 04-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #36
Avalon

when ever government is involved, it ends up being a cluster-fark. Let's not plan ahead..let's just jump in, commit mass murder, leave the carcasses and mayhem behind.
Why didn't they atleast try to work something out with the Inuit?
Utilization of the meat as well as the fur. Something, anything other than just mindless slaughter. And believe me..if they left the bodies behind..it was mindless, greedy slaughter. the sure saw to it the fur got taken
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 04-27-2004, 08:39 PM   #37
Wldchld
in the middle of it

Quote:
Originally posted by Avalon
when ever government is involved, it ends up being a cluster-fark. Let's not plan ahead..let's just jump in, commit mass murder, leave the carcasses and mayhem behind.
Why didn't they atleast try to work something out with the Inuit?
Utilization of the meat as well as the fur. Something, anything other than just mindless slaughter. And believe me..if they left the bodies behind..it was mindless, greedy slaughter. the sure saw to it the fur got taken
I agree, I would have thought destruction on this level would have been better thought out. There had to be a better way, like you said maybe working something out so that the meat & everything was used. If there are bodies that are washing up on shore then nothing is even eating the bodies, hate to sound gross but you know what I mean?
Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #38
Spicy Jack
Brains! Brains!

Um...so..uh, what do you do with seal skin?
Spicy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #39
Avalon

coats
Groucho Marx
Old 04-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #40
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

Quote:
Originally posted by Spicy Jack
Um...so..uh, what do you do with seal skin?
I've only seen it used to make cheap tourist junk!

It's disgusting.

The most common use is as a soft leather: clothes, purses, mocassins, etc.. It is also used to make kayaks.

Those who legally hunt seals, use the entire seal. Meat is to expensive to waste. Bones are carved. Even the whiskers have a use.

Skinned seals on shores are usually the result of poachers or protesters trying to make a point.

I do not like the practice, I do not advocate the hunt. I do feel that those who follow their heritage, kill humanely, and use the entire animal carcass have as much right as those who kill beef cattle.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #41
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally posted by Aphrodite
I do not like the practice, I do not advocate the hunt. I do feel that those who follow their heritage, kill humanely, and use the entire animal carcass have as much right as those who kill beef cattle.
Yes.

But hearing about the skinned ones washing up makes my farking blood boil.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:21 PM   #42
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

Quote:
Originally posted by priceyfatprude
Yes.

But hearing about the skinned ones washing up makes my farking blood boil.
I agree completely.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:51 AM   #43
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally posted by znikaraz
a guy driving one of those new humvees vehicles ran a red light while i was crossing the intersection and instead of apologizing [at least with a wave or something] he gave me the finger... what in the world is up with that?
I almost gave someone in a black Lexus the finger today. He went to turn what I thought was the wrong way onto a one-way street at the end of my block & instead he did this big U-ey to get a parking spot. I thought he had a death wish!
Old 04-29-2004, 04:01 AM   #44
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I almost gave another person the finger again today, this time on the freeway.

He was in the left lane, I was in the right. We both wanted to be in the middle lane @ the same time. Good thing I checked my blind spot again, or I wouldn't be posting right now, I'd be haunting someone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: