ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #76
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

i think moderators with more power isnt the answer... WE are the answer! Think of any society... why do we need police? because ppl act up... if we all were responding civilly then we wouldnt need 'board police'.
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:04 PM   #77
Frieda
in limbo

if you make rules you must also create sanctions..

other boards use temp bans or even permanent bans.. or deletion of threads or posts..

what's your vision, ze?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #78
venusupnorth
I'm leaving tomorrow!

I suggest Frieda as a moderator if she is up to it, she doesn't seem to pass any harsh judgements on here and has a very open minded way of telling us when we've gone over board.

One idea about threads, have an art/creative section. Some of the creative stuff ends up on the Fast chat where it doesn't really belong

óJeanette Winterson
venusupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #79
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrank
some sort of creedo based on respectful behavior: lets write one to see if we can come to a consensus.
Okay, I'll take a shot at roughing this out, you guys can take it from here:

Welcome to the ZeFrank Message Board, a board of diverse artistic, creative, intellectual, and recreational pursuits.

In the interest of continuing harmony and positive community growth, as a member of this Board you agree to create your posts with a mind toward respect for all other members of this board, including respect for (1) their religious, spiritual, political, or personal beliefs; (2) their creative endeavors and attempts; and, (3) their boundaries and rights as individual members of this board.

While acknowledging that some amount of sarcasm and banter is commonplace in a creative community such as this, you agree to refrain from posting anything not in good faith toward other members of the board, and to refrain from posting anything that would be intentionally or negligently hurtful to any individual member, or to the community as a whole.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #80
bealeblues
where's my salt?

^^^ goddamn lawyer.

and while i am still against the concept of moderators in any sense (except for deletion of personal information), i would have absolutely no problem endorsing frieda for that (or one of the) position(s), if she's willing to do it.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #81
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

You know, here's another thing I was thinking about as I was making my cup of tea....

It seems that a lot of the sparks arise when newbies join and interact with others, and neither one knows each other well enough, and misunderstandings occur, etc.

There's also a certain amount of territorial pissing that occurs when newbies start aggressively posting, and the old folk get miffed.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to sticky a "Welcome" thread for newbies to post in for their first few posts, maybe have a few general questions for them to answer so that we can get to know them better before they're unwittingly thrown into the fracas.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #82
NimbleMarmoset
frick, frack, fruck

^ ^ ^ i concur. (Frieda)
NimbleMarmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #83
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

OK. In this situation I don't want to give tacit approval by staying silent.

So. No moderators. No constitution.

Please.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:05 PM   #84
bealeblues
where's my salt?

^^^ snake and i AGREE!!! alert the press!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:52 PM   #85
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby
You know, here's another thing I was thinking about as I was making my cup of tea....

It seems that a lot of the sparks arise when newbies join and interact with others, and neither one knows each other well enough, and misunderstandings occur, etc.

There's also a certain amount of territorial pissing that occurs when newbies start aggressively posting, and the old folk get miffed.

Maybe it'd be a good idea to sticky a "Welcome" thread for newbies to post in for their first few posts, maybe have a few general questions for them to answer so that we can get to know them better before they're unwittingly thrown into the fracas.
It would be great if new people would take the time to do that, or at least lurk a bit first. But they often just jump right in w/both feet, then get defensive & hurt & confused when they cross an unspoken 'line'.

Frieda is the best choice for moderator, as Trish said, even before it was official, she was often the voice of reason.

I will get back to this later, some good points made here.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:10 PM   #86
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
It would be great if new people would take the time to do that, or at least lurk a bit first. But they often just jump right in w/both feet, then get defensive & hurt & confused when they cross an unspoken 'line'.
those lines are from, what, 3 years back? 2 years back? you can't expect lurkers to lurk that long! even though there sure are some.. probably..

it's trial & error and that's sometimes painful. i don't think a moderator of any kind could be helpful there without telling details of the situation.. then a moral dilemma comes up.. tell and mention all the shit that has happened here and that's none of someone's business.. or not tell and let the shouting begin?

anyway, since my name is mentioned here in this thread a couple of times-- i'm curious.. what do you people expect from a moderator?

do you think you could handle it when someone told you to shut the fvck up for the sake of peace & prosperity at the zeboard?

oh yeah
Old 06-21-2005, 10:16 PM   #87
bealeblues
where's my salt?

Quote:
do you think you could handle it when someone told you to shut the fvck up for the sake of peace & prosperity at the zeboard?
we tell each other to shut the fvck up all the time now anyway. the only difference with a moderator doing it would be to dish out a suspension or two or twelve. does that really help anything?
Old 06-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #88
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda
what do you people expect from a moderator?

I wouldn't expect a moderator to actually get involved in a dispute, or try to mediate between warring factions; I just meant to delete posts that are clearly out of line or inappropriate or obviously intentionally hurtful. Stuff that doesn't happen very often, anyway, but when it does creates big problems.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #89
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bealeblues
we tell each other to shut the fvck up all the time now anyway. the only difference with a moderator doing it would be to dish out a suspension or two or twelve. does that really help anything?
would it really??

i mean, some of you are actually asking for their freedom here to be taken away.. i have trouble understanding that.. i'd hate to lose my freedom here!

oh yeah
Old 06-21-2005, 10:26 PM   #90
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby
I wouldn't expect a moderator to actually get involved in a dispute, or try to mediate between warring factions; I just meant to delete posts that are clearly out of line or inappropriate or obviously intentionally hurtful. Stuff that doesn't happen very often, anyway, but when it does creates big problems.
that's hiding the problem.. the posts may be gone but the anger persists.. idunno.. would that really help?

oh yeah

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: