ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2003, 03:41 AM   #1
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Motion

This is an interesting exercise in writing for motion. The rules are fairly simple. Write whatever it's worth to move the story forward. Each passage, each post, should propel the reader forward. There should be a feeling flow, forward, next step, etc.... whether through dialogue (harder) or by prose.

Regardless if you feel it's innocuous or not, each post should have a feeling of "movement". Remember "movement" is key. There should be a feeling of "what next?" with each post.

I'll start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A cold, crisp day. Leaves billowed up beneath my worn-out shoes, making me feel like the day had promise -- as if life itself was breathed into their very movement. I came to a corner and saw empty streets in either direction. My eyes followed the line of the curb down the street to the left. Abandoned cigarette butts, two chewing gum wrappers and an advertisement for a local gym. I shifted my gaze and followed the horizon to the right.
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 02:19 PM   #2
rapscalious rob

A cold, crisp day. Leaves billowed up beneath my worn-out shoes, making me feel like the day had promise -- as if life itself was breathed into their very movement. I came to a corner and saw empty streets in either direction. My eyes followed the line of the curb down the street to the left. Abandoned cigarette butts, two chewing gum wrappers and an advertisement for a local gym. I shifted my gaze and followed the horizon to the right.
_
There was the bus shelter. A big ad of a guy with a big, goofy grin holding a pack of chewing gum was displayed on one side. I looked at the bench. No chewing gum or liquid, so I sat down and waited. I looked at my watch.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

_
There was the bus shelter. A big ad of a guy with a big, goofy grin holding a pack of chewing gum was displayed on one side. I looked at the bench. No chewing gum or liquid, so I sat down and waited. I looked at my watch.

_
A woman with her baby came trundling up to the stop. She looked flustered and the baby fussed and screamed and kicked. She gave me a hopeless look and sat down tending to her infant. Two more people walked up to the stop. One, an old man wearing a brown fedora, eyes sparkling under very heavy white eyebrows. The other, was a woman I seemed to recognize, but could not place from where. She smiled at me.
Old 09-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
rapscalious rob

_

_
A woman with her baby came trundling up to the stop. She looked flustered and the baby fussed and screamed and kicked. She gave me a hopeless look and sat down tending to her infant. Two more people walked up to the stop. One, an old man wearing a brown fedora, eyes sparkling under very heavy white eyebrows. The other, was a woman I seemed to recognize, but could not place from where. She smiled at me.

I smiled back, by dint of habit. “I know you from somewhere,” the women said,“but I can’t remember where from.”
“Yeah, I dunno. You look familiar to me, too. How are you doing?” I tried to sort through my memories for any recollection. My mind was drawing a blank.
“What?” She asked. I guess I spoke too softly.
“I said, how are you doing?”
The bus was approaching.
“Oh,” she said, “fine. Busy, as usual.”
The doors opened with a hiss. People crowded around the bus door. I walked towards the bus.
“That’s good,” I said, making my way to the bus.
I shoved my hand in my pocket, feeling for quarters.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:32 AM   #5
mindChatter

_

_

I smiled back, by dint of habit. “I know you from somewhere,” the women said,“but I can’t remember where from.”
“Yeah, I dunno. You look familiar to me, too. How are you doing?” I tried to sort through my memories for any recollection. My mind was drawing a blank.
The bus was approaching.
The doors opened with a hiss. People crowded around the bus door. I walked towards the bus.

_
I patiently waited as the people funneled into the narrow entrance and up the worn steps, clanking their change into the coin counter one by one. I did the same and took a seat near the front of the bus, eager to get to the show. I rubbed the palms of my hands together quickly, both in anticipation and to warm them up a bit.
mindChatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:42 PM   #6
amanda
old s'cool

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_
I patiently waited as the people funneled into the narrow entrance and up the worn steps, clanking their change into the coin counter one by one. I did the same and took a seat near the front of the bus, eager to get to the show. I rubbed the palms of my hands together quickly, both in anticipation and to warm them up a bit.

_
After I sat down, my ear caught snatches of a guitar playing in the back of the bus. The guitar player's voice quietly arose above the din of engines and common mumblings of the other passengers,

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise."

I exchanged glances with man sitting next to me. He nodded, smiled and returned to watching neighborhood children playing hopscotch on the sidewalk.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_
After I sat down, my ear caught snatches of a guitar playing in the back of the bus. The guitar player's voice quietly arose above the din of engines and common mumblings of the other passengers,

All your life

I exchanged glances with man sitting next to me. He nodded, smiled and returned to watching neighborhood children playing hopscotch on the sidewalk.

_
The bus lurched forward, the din of multiple conversations was almost soothing -- a backdrop to the music coming from the back of the lumbering vehicle. Forward and back with each stop, lurching with an almost hypnotic motion that lulled the wearier traveller into a light sleep.

The man beside me had begun to softly snore. I could see his nostrils grow wider and then recess with each breath. He had a book on his stomach and I watched it rise and fall in his slumber.

Two seats ahead of me sat the woman from the stop. She had one leg crossed over the other and her foot was bobbing up and down to some tune I couldn't hear. It was certainly out of beat with the folk tunes emanating from the back.

As I was staring, she dropped something. Picking it up, her eyes found their way back to mine. I felt myself blush.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
rapscalious rob

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_

All your life

_
The bus lurched forward, the din of multiple conversations was almost soothing -- a backdrop to the music coming from the back of the lumbering vehicle. Forward and back with each stop, lurching with an almost hypnotic motion that lulled the wearier traveller into a light sleep.

The man beside me had begun to softly snore. I could see his nostrils grow wider and then recess with each breath. He had a book on his stomach and I watched it rise and fall in his slumber.

Two seats ahead of me sat the woman from the stop. She had one leg crossed over the other and her foot was bobbing up and down to some tune I couldn't hear. It was certainly out of beat with the folk tunes emanating from the back.

As I was staring, she dropped something. Picking it up, her eyes found their way back to mine. I felt myself blush.
_
I looked back out the window. The bus pulled over the doors hissed open, and a small group of people left the bus. A couple got on, looked around and sat in the empty pair of adjacent seats behind me. The women from the stop was still sitting in the same place. The bus rumbled forward again. I looked out the window and saw a pair of men holding styrofoam coffee cups, talking about something. Suddenly it occurred to me where I knew this women from.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:53 AM   #9
rapscalious rob

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_

All your life

_

_
I looked back out the window. The bus pulled over the doors hissed open, and a small group of people left the bus. A couple got on, looked around and sat in the empty pair of adjacent seats behind me. The women from the stop was still sitting in the same place. The bus rumbled forward again. I looked out the window and saw a pair of men holding styrofoam coffee cups, talking about something. Suddenly it occurred to me where I knew this women from.

It was that philosophy class I took two years ago at the community college. She sat on the other side of the classroom, but damn she was beautiful. And she couldn’t help but show her brilliance. We met that one time at the café on campus, and talked about many things. But then, she had dissappeared from class. Some kind of family crises or something. Right in the middle of the semester. She must’ve had to retake the class. I wondered what had caused her to leave.

As the next stop approached, she half-rose. This must be her stop. Should I follow her? Would it seem awkward? What if she didn’t remember me-- or worse, didn’t want to? I only had about a minute to act.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:48 AM   #10
rapscalious rob

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_

All your life

_

_

It was that philosophy class I took two years ago at the community college. She sat on the other side of the classroom, but damn she was beautiful. And she couldn’t help but show her brilliance. We met that one time at the café on campus, and talked about many things. But then, she had dissappeared from class. Some kind of family crises or something. Right in the middle of the semester. She must’ve had to retake the class. I wondered what had caused her to leave.

As the next stop approached, she half-rose. This must be her stop. Should I follow her? Would it seem awkward? What if she didn’t remember me-- or worse, didn’t want to? I only had about a minute to act.

The bus shuddered to a stop. People began standing up. “What the hell,” I thought, and stood up. The doors opened with a hydraulic hiss. The engine purred and the guitar music in the back became more noticable. I stepped off the bus and the doors shut behind me. I watched the bus drive down the street.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:43 AM   #11
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_

All your life

_

_

The bus shuddered to a stop. People began standing up. “What the hell,” I thought, and stood up. The doors opened with a hydraulic hiss. The engine purred and the guitar music in the back became more noticable. I stepped off the bus and the doors shut behind me. I watched the bus drive down the street.

---

More self conscious than anything, I trailed about 10 feet behind her as she made her way home, struggling with two big bags of groceries. I wanted to rush forward and help her with them, but I wasn't sure how she'd react to that. Leaves blew past me as I took baby steps down the sidewalk to match her petite high heeled steps.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:11 AM   #12
laughingbuddha
monkey

_

_

The bus was approaching.

_

_

All your life

_

_

---

More self conscious than anything, I trailed about 10 feet behind her as she made her way home, struggling with two big bags of groceries. I wanted to rush forward and help her with them, but I wasn't sure how she'd react to that. Leaves blew past me as I took baby steps down the sidewalk to match her petite high heeled steps.

---

I looked at the ground... lost in self doubt. I was still absorbed in my many thoughts when I heard a 'thud'. I looked up in alarm but she was gone. I looked around for a sign; a clue; something to give me the slightest inkling of her whereabouts but I found none.

'Where did she go?' I wondered aloud.

I rushed to the spot she was but a few second back. The wind seemed to have suddenly picked up. A dust storm brewing in the middle of a city seems highly unbelievable but that’s exactly what was happening.

'Why should I worry about someone I hardly know?' I asked myself as my eyes scanned the surroundings with the skill of a born detective.

There wasn’t a living soul on the street and my vision was blurred by the dust but even through that I managed to see a white tombstone in the distance. Ordinarily, I would have continued on my way... but not this time. I was drawn to it but an unseen, maybe even unsavory power. As I drew closer, I saw the enchanting beauty of the stone. But with every passing second my fear grew... this was certainly not what I had bargained for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: