ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #1486
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

query fer Thursday the 17:

Think about a relatively minor turning point in your life. How might things be different if it had gone another way?

Extra points for outright fantasizing.

eta: Be sure to let this question go when you're done answering it. Long term exposure may cause rash, irritation of the mucus membranes, blurred vision, chest pains, and spontaneous combustion.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #1487
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

If, late in 2001, I hadn't by mere coincidence started to visit the 4th floor of our institute (well it wasn't pure coincidence, but 1/3 curiousity about these black-magic-theory thingies these people - today my work group - up there did, 1/3 interest in this hot Russian - today my buddy Vanya - and 1/3 cos after most of my cafeteria-smokers'-corner mates had broken off their studies this was a neat place to hang out with fellow smokers):

I wouldn't have gone (in 2004) to live and work in Berlin, city of my passion, but would have stayed in the East Bavarian pampas, I would have shared office at the spectroscopy chair with my ex {1st/2nd semester bf - he's single since then my informers told me}, who would have talked me after some months into getting together again and marrying him, bearing for him the 4 children he wishes for and staying home - like is tradition in his family - in the house he built for us only 100m away from his parents' house {up to here we still are into his ideal vision for his future life he had told me once - AFTER we had split already - scary eh?}. In 2006, my fourth son had just turned one, I decided this life thoroughly sucks, I divorce my husband, take my kids and move to Brazil. At a beach near Fortaleza I bump into a group of hippies living there, they take us in and I can convince them to open up a bar {hey, there had to be a beach bar in it somewhere!!}, later an art shop, a little backpacker hostel and some basic infrastructure join. Turns out that our little commune becomes a hot tip in the Lonely Planet, we earn quite some money, but somehow this isn't my thing anymore, I take my share and go to live in Berlin (in Friedrichshain cos there's plenty child care facilities) and check whether I shouldn't start at an uni again. I find a nice theory group, turns out that they were in Regensburg once too, only for 2 years, but during my time there, a pity I missed them then...
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #1488
Brynn
constantly amazed

At college, I break up with Mark with no explanation whatsoever.

I save myself two years of tears. I end up joining a choir or an intramural kickball team instead of taking that existentialism class, and I make lots of fun friends that I end up traveling all over the world with. We are still friends today, and we all meet to sing songs and drink at least once a year. I buy a little black pony with a silver saddle and give kids rides on it all day long on the ranch I buy from the proceeds of the travel books I end up writing.

Last edited by Brynn : 01-19-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #1489
lukkucairi
earth worker

in 2002 I had the chicken instead of the steak.

I didn't almost choke to death, my life wasn't saved by my present husband, and I am now a topiary artist at the Lincoln Park conservatory in Chicago. On the weekends I'm learning to speed skate.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #1490
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I bought the Marine Drive place with my ex in the fall of 1986. By winter he started drinking again, and I spent more and more time at the fish and chip shop marveling at the quality of light on the tablecloths and in the trees, smoking Marlies and drinking tea after work. Twice I wake up on the beach not sure how I got there before the day comes that the glassed in breakfast terrace off the bottle-strewn bedroom is streaked with gore and the signs of a struggle, and I am found crumpled in a lifeless heap next to the tiled fountain in the courtyard. He crosses the border at Port Roberts and is never seen or heard from again.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #1491
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
query fer Thursday the 17:

Think about a relatively minor turning point in your life. How might things be different if it had gone another way?

Extra points for outright fantasizing.
ok!! a relatively MINOR turning point in my life!!! I turned right and went to Burger King to get lunch. the drive-up window line was bumper-to-bumper (mostly with SUV's.) fvck that I said very loudly and swerved around the idjits.

I drove to the exit and turned left. mcfries!!!! here I come!!!
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #1492
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

You're the best, Jack!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #1493
Tunesmith
click click click

Question for Saturday the 19th:

Did you ever run away from home?

edit: Thanks Trish, I'll change the question!

Last edited by Tunesmith : 01-19-2008 at 03:19 AM. Reason: removed "as a kid"
Tunesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:13 AM   #1494
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

No. It seemed to make more sense as an adult, though.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #1495
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
yes, one year ago
Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #1496
auntie aubrey
excursions

i have a vague memory of attempting to run away once when i was maybe 4, if that. i was a thumb-sucker at that point and my parents had left my sister and i in the care of a teenager who thought she knew best how to raise kids. so she kept putting me on "punishment" whenever she saw me with my thumb in my mouth. and each time she would threaten worse and worse punishment if she saw me doing it again. i finally couldn't take it and decided if my parents weren't there to protect me, i would have no choice but to leave.

i very vividly remember getting this little tiny "suitcase" that was more like a makeup bag to an adult, and packing dusting cloths into it. why dusting cloths? because i wasn't strong enough to pull open the drawers on my dresser to get my clothing. but i could get to the bottom shelf of the linen closet, where we stored dusting cloths made from ripped-up cloth diapers.

it's not an in-motion memory. it's more like i remember amorphous feelings and snapshots of actions. i remember that i wasn't angry, i was just so terribly sad to the point of grief that i had no choice but to leave home. i didn't WANT to leave home, but once packing began it wasn't like i was choosing to go of my own accord anymore. the memory is a smudgy snapshot of grief and remorse over having to go, when all i wanted to do was put my thumb in my mouth for comfort.

the babysitter and my sister came and talked me out of it and i sobbed big, heartbreaking tears over it. in fact, to this day when i think of the heartbreaking moments in my life, that one stands out as the very first one i can recall. and also one of the most intense.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #1497
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Yes, twice, with 9 and 17 1/2.

The first time was long and well planned (in such a well & thoughtful way that amazes me today as a grown-up) and had a definite goal (my grandparents place ~80km away), but I came back after some hours, I had scarcely reached the next town, when I grew to afraid out alone in the night (that I had not planned, could not have, I think). The second time was a spontaneous thing that happened in the heat of the moment like, 'planned' & executed in about 10min. Had no goal whatsoever, just thinking "outta here, at once!". I didn't go back. (And had more luck while on the road, than one can imagine, met some precious people!)

Almost exactly 3 years ago I felt like running away again - but where to? - cos it was not exactly running away from home this time, but running away from myself. Something hard to accomplish... So I decided to stay, in the end, was tough then, today I'm glad about it.

Last edited by Stephi_B : 01-19-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #1498
Earthling
Human User

My attempts to run away were more of run-n-hide. I'd run off and hide. sometimes for hours, a few times for days. The neighbors would often spot me, and inform my mom. and mom would unlock the cars doors so I'd have a place to sleep. I never planned to go away, just to hide.
Now I had two older sisters that I often wished would run away....
Old 01-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #1499
lukkucairi
earth worker

all the time when I was 4. I'd go hide behind the wall at the end of the driveway - never got much farther than that.

I sure wanted to by the time I was 16, but we lived on a small island and there was nowhere much to go...
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #1500
xfox
slightly effective

Yes, first I was old enough, and second it turned out out to be a good choice of action.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: