FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 07:19 PM   #1
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

Best Ice Cream EVER

if you are ever in the middle of America,
if you have a spare plane ticket,
or, hell, if you just dig great ice cream and are willing to hitch it across the USA....

the best ice cream in the world is tucked away in Westport, Kansas City, MO. it's called Murray's and it's worth killing several precious family members for.

i have taken the most skeptic people, championship dieters, and more and have not left without them gulping down more than two scoops in a sitting. each person thought i was exaggerating when i told them that the flavor would buckle their knees. every one of them has appolgizes and heartily agrees it is the best ever.

i have traveled everywhere in search of better ice cream and have been unable to find it. i have travel hours from remote parts of the country to get a taste.

BEWARE: this ice cream makes all others seem bland in comparison. it is highly addictive and habit-forming.
Deviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:36 PM   #2
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

I, a true ice cream connoisseur, am going to have to ask you if you've ever been to Houston, Austin, or San Antonio Texas. If so, have you ever tried Amy's Ice Cream? I absolutely live for that stuff. It's so rich and wonderful, with so many flavors! I know it sounds like a chain because it's in three cities, but there are actually only 4 stores (two in Austin). I'm not sure what size your scoops are, that you can eat two or more, but I'm here to tell you that I'm a little 100 pound female who can eat an Amy's Extra Large (extra large is the one you get when you flirt with the guys working there and they "accidentally" scoop more than fits in a large cup. They fill up one of those styrofoam bowls instead). Amy's is best mixed with a topping, Marble Slab style. But the ice cream is far better than Marble Slab, and their slab is room temperature plastic to give the ice cream that soft, smooth, eat-me-fast consistency. Beginners should try Mexican Vanilla...the best vanilla ice cream in the US. Experience Amy's eaters should be adventurous! I've tried almost everything! I love the pumpkin, cinnamon, and gingerbread flavors (I like fall/winter sweets ). Ok, so before you decide the best ice cream, you should try all the really good ice creams!
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:50 AM   #3
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

i sounds good! im going to have to make sure i check it out next time i'm in Texas.

the best flavour at Murray's is Chocolate Flake Fromage; it will buckle your knees. The Cotton Candy flavour shocked the sheite out of us that it takes like ACTUAL cotton candy from the fair. Drunken Monk is incredible as is the Pineapple sorbet, Bananas Foster, 3 Nuts in a Tub, and everything else i've ever tasted.

Murray's lovers requested that the store create a to be on a phone list to be called when certain specialty flavours have been made. these lists have gotten so long that Murray has had to cut them off. from there they started a waiting list to get on the phone list, which quickly got so long that they, too, were cut off. now you can't even get on a list to get on a list to get a phone call to buy a flavour. ouch.

and, word to the wise, do NOT try to put any toppings on Murray's Ice Cream, nor should you buy a fancy cone or anything of the type. i made that mistake once and threw the chocolate dipped waffle cone in the trash.

-st.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

Wow, ok...you make it sound really good. If I'm in Kansas City, MO, I'll give it a shot. I sometimes visit a friend in Lawrence KS, and fly into the KC, KS airport. How far from Kansas City, KS is Kansas City Missouri?
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:49 PM   #5
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

Well, they're practically the same city. They're joined together. And Westport is kinda smack dab in the middle. You should be able to ask most K.C. residents and get pretty accurate directions. Or check out a map. Murray's address is:

4120 PENNSYLVANIA AVE
KANSAS CITY, MO 64111-3299

-st.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:08 PM   #6
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

Thanks! I'll be back in the States at the end of December and hopefully up in Kansas sometime in the spring. I'm totally checking it out.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Pandora'sBox

Murray's is the best ever, but I'd have to say that 3 nuts in a tub is better than chocolate flake frommage DV8.
Pandora'sBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 03:19 PM   #8
Eiggam
This is my favorite site!

Can't believe it!

I live only 1 hour north of Westport and I have never been there! I have a feeling I will be going to KC this weekend!! Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Deviate
Butt-F***ing the World

Actually Eiggam, they're not open right now. Murray's closes for the winter

But give them a call and see when they open. It's well worth the drive.

-st.
Old 01-08-2003, 03:08 PM   #10
Eiggam
This is my favorite site!

Darn it!

That is soooo sad! Well, I am glad I have other plans, cause I was going to head that way, otherwise!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:15 PM   #11
fodder

AMY'S ICE CREAM AMY'S ICE SCREAM AMY'S
Old 07-18-2003, 03:16 AM   #12
Frieda
in limbo

Amsterdam: on the corner of the Scheldestraat and the Diepenbrockstraat is an ice cream stand.. they have lactose free ice cream! weeee! wonderful taste!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:10 PM   #13
malina
leaving

Gelateria Della Palma
Via della Maddalena 20, Rome

Gelateria Della Palma is a large place near the Pantheon. On the menu, there is a large selection of sandwiches and an array of drinks, including cappuccinos and espressos. The interior decor somewhat mimics a 1950s American Soda Shop, but the Italian flair is still abundant. This café has the largest selection of gelato, with so many flavors you can't begin to try them all!

... coconut and chocolate to die for!
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
gabrielledepew

I work at Murray's Ice cream in Westport in Kansas City.

I couldn't imagine ever eating better ice cream than Murray herself makes. I know this sounds ridiculously biased, but trust me. There are gems she pulls out sometimes that will blow you away.

Example: zaba jone. An ice cream with a base of milk, eggs, honey, and white wine. It's perfect.

And to whomever cited above that you shouldn't buy the cones, I beg to differ. All of us soda jerks work really hard on those. We don't have an automatic machine, we have an old fashioned waffle iron that all of us slave over for hours (we all have the initiation burns to prove it) to make homemade, fresh cones. We keep half the batch (usually around 150 cones or more in the heat of the summer) for regular waffle cones, and the rest we dip in specially melted dark chocolate and then roll in sprinkles, heath bar, or peanuts. We even have white chocolate dipped cones, as well.

Our butter toffee cookies are phenomenal, too.
gabrielledepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Bonnie Doone's in Mishawaka and South Bend Indiana has the best chocolate mint sodas.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: