ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FICTION PROJECT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
auntie aubrey
excursions

communal movie

i played this game on another forum and it was entertaining. here's how it works: the thread serves to create a movie project, and each poster fills in one piece of information about the movie. for example, the first person would come up with the genre and dictate what bit the next poster should fill in, such as the title. fill in tag lines, actors, movie posters, collateral, bits of script and dialog, details about the plot, craft a script for the trailer, etc. basically build it post by post.

to get the ball rolling i'll choose the genre:

sci-fi horror

next: choose a working title
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 AM   #2
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Working title: The Thing from the Internet

Next: narrative conflict i.e.
  • man vs. man
  • man vs himself
  • man vs society
  • man vs machine
  • man vs god
  • man vs nature
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Marcus Bales

Location: In a coign of the cliff between lowland and highland, at the sea-down's edge between windward and lee, walled round with rocks as an inland island, the ghost of a garden fronts the sea.
oh, let's do the classic

man vs woman

Next piece of the movie:

Lead actress

Last edited by Marcus Bales : 08-03-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: chivvied by Auntie Aubrey
Marcus Bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
auntie aubrey
excursions

marcus, please select a piece of the movie to be supplied by the next poster.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

A sci-fi horror film, The Thing from the Internet.

Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and ????? in a love/hate ??????
Old 08-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
12"razormix

A sci-fi horror film, The Thing from the Internet.

Starring Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Gary Oldman in a love/hate online relationship

Location (Dreyfus):
Location (Oldman):
Year:

Last edited by 12"razormix : 08-04-2007 at 12:42 PM.
12"razormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
T.I.P.
balancing actor

Genre
Sci-fi horror film

Running Title
The Thing from the Internet.

Starring
Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Gary Oldman in a love/hate online relationship

(Dreyfus): 14th floor suite, Upper East Side Manhattan, New York
(Oldman): Abandoned gulag, Siberia

Year: 2009

please fill in some background details on Oldman (Nationality, Name of character). Why and how has he landed in an abandoned Siberian gulag ?
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
auntie aubrey
excursions

Genre
Sci-fi horror film

Running Title

Starring

Character sketch: Miles Obenhoff (Oldman) was a researcher at a Russian cybernetics lab, developing bio-enhancements for secret extraplanetary missions in the Russian space program. Unable to secure a test subject for a pair of advanced mechanical hands, each bearing eight fingers and two thumbs, Obenhoff did the unthinkable: he performed the transplant on himself. He first replaced his right hand with the first prototype, then used the prototype to quickly replace his left hand with the other prototype. immediately the circuitry invaded his nervous system, affecting his judgement further. When the Russian government discovered his failure to follow scientific protocol they declared him mad and locked him up in an abandoned gulag in Siberia. His only means of contact with the outside world was to be an underpowered laptop with a 56k modem. However, using his mechanically enhanced appendages, Obenhoff managed to interface directly with the laptop's electronics and boost its computational and transmission powers. More machine now than man, he reached out through the internet to find what his mechanical hands could never give him..... true love.

next, define a character sketch (name, background, history) for the leading lady, played by Julia Louis-Dreyfus.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
12"razormix

Genre
Sci-fi horror film

Running Title

Starring

Character sketch:
Miles Obenhoff (Oldman) was a researcher at a Russian cybernetics lab, developing bio-enhancements for secret extraplanetary missions in the Russian space program. Unable to secure a test subject for a pair of advanced mechanical hands, each bearing eight fingers and two thumbs, Obenhoff did the unthinkable: he performed the transplant on himself. He first replaced his right hand with the first prototype, then used the prototype to quickly replace his left hand with the other prototype. immediately the circuitry invaded his nervous system, affecting his judgement further. When the Russian government discovered his failure to follow scientific protocol they declared him mad and locked him up in an abandoned gulag in Siberia. His only means of contact with the outside world was to be an underpowered laptop with a 56k modem. However, using his mechanically enhanced appendages, Obenhoff managed to interface directly with the laptop's electronics and boost its computational and transmission powers. More machine now than man, he reached out through the internet to find what his mechanical hands could never give him..... true love.

Irma Feinstein, American (Dreyfus)
had posted her mom's picture on an online dating site as a joke. Irma is a young attorney at a downtown Manhattan firm. Her mother, Martha, a lonely Jewish widow who can't wait for her daughter to find Mr. Right.

Miles had responded to her message and Irma was delighted. This guy seemed nuts and Irma liked it!

Last edited by 12"razormix : 08-04-2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Next: first trailer material
Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 AM   #10
auntie aubrey
excursions

Genre
Sci-fi horror film

Running Title

Starring

Character sketch:
Miles Obenhoff (Oldman) was a researcher at a Russian cybernetics lab, developing bio-enhancements for secret extraplanetary missions in the Russian space program. Unable to secure a test subject for a pair of advanced mechanical hands, each bearing eight fingers and two thumbs, Obenhoff did the unthinkable: he performed the transplant on himself. He first replaced his right hand with the first prototype, then used the prototype to quickly replace his left hand with the other prototype. immediately the circuitry invaded his nervous system, affecting his judgement further. When the Russian government discovered his failure to follow scientific protocol they declared him mad and locked him up in an abandoned gulag in Siberia. His only means of contact with the outside world was to be an underpowered laptop with a 56k modem. However, using his mechanically enhanced appendages, Obenhoff managed to interface directly with the laptop's electronics and boost its computational and transmission powers. More machine now than man, he reached out through the internet to find what his mechanical hands could never give him..... true love.

had posted her mom's picture on an online dating site as a joke. Irma is a young attorney at a downtown Manhattan firm. Her mother, Martha, a lonely Jewish widow who can't wait for her daughter to find Mr. Right.

Miles had responded to her message and Irma was delighted. This guy seemed nuts and Irma liked it!

first trailer script
announcer: in a world where true love is hard to find...
irma: i just don't believe in "mr right."
announcer: one woman is looking for love... in all the wrong places.
russian official: welcome to the gulag, mr. obenhoff.
announcer: this summer...
miles: with these hands i'll be able to type 10 times as fast as a normal man
announcer: viruses aren't the only thing infecting your computer...
irma: it's not possible! i trust him, i love him. he couldn't-- screams
announcer: julia louis-dreyfus. gary oldman.
miles: i'm coming for you, irma.
announcer: the thing from the internet. rated R.

next: either photoshop a movie poster or present a script treatment of the scene wherein Irma and Miles first make contact.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
12"razormix

Genre
Sci-fi horror film

Running Title

Starring

Character sketch:

first trailer script
announcer: in a world where true love is hard to find...
irma: i just don't believe in "mr right."
announcer: one woman is looking for love... in all the wrong places.
russian official: welcome to the gulag, mr. obenhoff.
announcer: this summer...
miles: with these hands i'll be able to type 10 times as fast as a normal man
announcer: viruses aren't the only thing infecting your computer...
irma: it's not possible! i trust him, i love him. he couldn't-- screams
announcer: julia louis-dreyfus. gary oldman.
miles: i'm coming for you, irma.
announcer: the thing from the internet. rated R.

Script treatment of the scene wherein Irma and Miles first make contact:

THE THING FROM THE INTERNET

Story by
auntie aubrey
trisherina
Marcus Bales
12"razormix
T.I.P.

Current revisions by
12"razormix

PRODUCTION DRAFT 05-08-07

CONTACT.

Flickering lights, a hallway, DARK corners. We see Miles, sitting alone at a dingy desk in front of his laptop. He is reading, his eyes following the TEXT in front of him.

CLOSE ON the text on the screen:

... petite, short black hair. I love the opera, expensive cars and speed ...

A VOICE (Miles thinking):

"SPEED.... odd. Somehow not what I expected from the picture..."

IRMA.

The little icon at the bottom of the ad indicates that Irma is online.

IRMA.

Mature, sophisticated, approachable yet somewhat superior.

He hits the button: "SEND A MESSAGE TO IRMA"

MILES (typing)
"Hi Irma, I am just looking at your ad. I use the name napukin but my real name is Miles."

CLOSE ON: Miles' face. Tense, alert.

IRMA (typing)
"Hi Miles, how are you?"

MILES (typing)
"We must meet, it's of utmost urgency! Say, have you read the paper today? Are your eyes grey or blue, I can't tell their color from the picture that you posted..."

THE CAMERA shows Irma, sitting at the busy desk in her office, the phone wedged in between her ear and her right shoulder, laughing and talking to a client. Her left hand is typing while she listens. She pauses, leans forward and frowns. The corner of her mouth twitches, then: loud LAUGHTER.

IRMA (talking to the client)
"oh no Glen, it's nothing...."

Irma SMILING.

IRMA
"Glen, listen... I gotta go.... yeah.. right... of course! Talk to you later, kay?"

Irma HANGS UP.

Next: add 2 actors and how they fit in the plot.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Adding two actors:

Kevin Smith plays Glen Flavenhol, Irma's latest (and wealthiest ever) client, a baked goods billionaire who wants Irma to represent him in negotiating the snarls of patenting the smell from his croissant shops, a smell he truly believes is as "trademarkable as Tom Waits' voice -- and he got away with it, didn't he?" Irma is flattered by his insistence on working with her and her alone, but hasn't quite decided whether he has designs on her that have nothing to do with yeasty aromas... and is even less sure of her own feelings.

Max von Sydow plays "58", the world-weary mercenary employed by the Russian cybernetics industry to keep discreet tabs on Miles and a number of others who fell victim to similar plights due to their curiosity. Well into his second year of maintaining regular contact with Miles and sensing nothing unusual, he notices something different about Miles: something he can't quite put his finger on, but decides he'd better watch more closely. Somehow, all of a sudden, Miles seems happier, and that can't be good for security.

ETA: Next we will need a scene of dialogue for each new actor that encapsulates their relationship to the lead characters.

Last edited by trisherina : 08-06-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Ack! I forgot to say what to add next!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: