ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #2701
Brynn
constantly amazed

Exactly. Hardly appropriate for this thread anyway. Please feel free to pm me.

Last edited by Brynn : 04-30-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #2702
topcat
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post
what in great googley moogley are you talking about?
i will use that line at least 3 times at work tomorrow.

This is an internet bulletin board.

Nothing more. Nothing less
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #2703
Frieda
in limbo

is there a thread missing?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:27 AM   #2704
zero
ª ★ ª

¿ question of the day? for wednesday april 30th

¿ if you were the decider of what children get taught in school, what changes would you make ?
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #2705
Frieda
in limbo

thats a hard one because i have no idea what kids are taught in school these days

oh yeah
Old 04-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #2706
zero
ª ★ ª

just make something up
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #2707
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

• less learning useless things by heart

• more creativity (particularly in the language and social science subjects)

• more maths and nature sciences (yes, yes, I know... but here in Germany schools these are neglected since the 70s/80s when chemistry & physics were declared "bad" from the environment-fundies and anti-nuclear-energy people) and them getting taught less sterile and boring

• no more religious education (yes, that's compulsory here at least till you turn 14), but extended ethics courses which introduces the major religions and philosophies in a neutral way

• physical education should be less humiliating for people who are no athletics / artistic gymnastic cracks, offer a broader variety of sports (we only had artistic gymnastics, athletics and sometimes volleyball or völkerball - what I hear from my sisters this has not changed), cos only in that way you motivate kids to do sports who are not doing it anyways in their free time

• and for gymnasium (the school which qualifies for university): at least one compulsory practical in the real working world (it did me really good to voluntarily work in my stepdad's construction firm, I value hard manual labour a lot since then, but I know many "intelligenzia" folks who never made their hands dirty, neither during their school time, nor during their studies at uni and think themselves way "better" than blue collar workers)
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM   #2708
Frieda
in limbo

ok make something up

ok

um

money lessons-- how borrowing money & paying interest works, how mortgages work, how saving every penny will turn you into a grumpy old bastard

etiquette lessons-- how to use your cutlery, how to greet the queen, what to wear to different occasions like a gala or a cocktail party, how to tie a tie

business softskills-- how to adapt to different working environments, what to say/what not to say to fellow employees, customers & bosses

oh yeah
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #2709
skip intro
get to it

There should be Parenting lessons.
skip intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #2710
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

to read
to write
to explore
to reflect
to think
to talk (politely, too)
to create things
to look after plants/animals
to look after people
to ask questions
not to accept all answers
to look for answers
to show (and feel) respect

(The question is, how. Because kids learn by imitating what they see. And if they don't see any of the abovementioned activities around/at home, it will only be education, not learning.)
YsaPur EsChomuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #2711
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

oh, and to listen
Old 04-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #2712
auntie aubrey
excursions

1) no religious instruction in public schools, not even as electives
2) mandatory art and music every day
3) history up to the present, including topics my school wouldn't touch such as the controversial veitnam war
4) no southern schools will be allowed to focus on the history around the american civil war for any longer period of time than they would dedicate to any other historical period (tennessee teaches the civil war every year all the way up through college. in college they require TWO SEMESTERS of civil war studies of all students)
5) sex ed classes starting with the basics in 5th grade (the "what's the deal with puberty?" lesson) and reaching full discussion of birth control by the 7th grade.
6) no more presidential fitness tests
7) this isn't a teaching thing but no soda and no junk food available anywhere on school premises. this means no candy and no ice cream served with the normal cafeteria lunch fare. vegetables should be manditory. i saw a special on school lunches the other day and the b-roll showed trays where every food item was beige and one kid was eating an m&m ice cream sandwich. that's out under my rule
Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM   #2713
Frieda
in limbo

^wow, that gives me a picture of what happens in USA schools. it's such a difference with how i went to school, can't believe the gap is that big!

oh yeah
Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #2714
YsaPur EsChomuw
oi

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post
no more presidential fitness tests
What's that?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #2715
auntie aubrey
excursions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
^wow, that gives me a picture of what happens in USA schools. it's such a difference with how i went to school, can't believe the gap is that big!
you can't take it as a generalization for all schools, though. i cobbled that list together from failings i've seen or heard of in a range of different schools, in different districts and different states.

for example, my elementary school served vegetables, offered art and music every day, and there was no religious instruction whatsoever. in tennessee there was an emphasis on the civil war that i've seen nowhere else. a creepy fixation, if you ask me. in georgia they've just imposed a law requiring public schools to teach religion, focusing on the bible. which i find highly unconstitutional but georgia is home to a majority of christian fundamentalists. in atlanta specifically i see a lot of junk food but it seems to be an even bigger problem for people i know whose kids attend schools in texas.

so i wouldn't say i've seen a single school fail every item on the list. but i find all of the issues to be failings nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YsaPur EsChomuw View Post
What's that?
Quote:
The Physical Fitness Test recognizes students for their level of physical fitness in 5 events: curl-ups or partial curl-ups, shuttle run, endurance run/walk, pull-ups or right angle push-ups, and V-sit or sit and reach.

The Physical Fitness Test offers three awards for students who meet the program qualifications:

The Presidential Physical Fitness Award
This award recognizes students who achieve an outstanding level of physical fitness. Boys and girls who score at or above the 85th percentile (based on the 1985 School Population Fitness Survey) on all five events are eligible for this award.

The National Physical Fitness Award
Students who score above the 50th percentile on all five events - demonstrating a basic, yet challenging, level of physical fitness - are eligible for this award.

The Participant Physical Fitness Award
Students whose scores fall below the 50th percentile on one or more events receive this award for taking part in all five events of the Physical Fitness Test.
it's something all kids have to do every year (i think... maybe it's every few years) and it's basically used to compile statistics and assess the fitness of america's children. what's absolutely absurd is that gym classes focus on building none of the strength or endurance required to do these exercises, like you will never ever ever ever do a pull-up until the day they introduce you to the fitness test. how they expect the kids to excel at these exercises when gym classes offer virtually no exercise i'll never know.

and of course gym teachers are frustrated jocks so they belittle and embarrass kids who can't pass the minimum level of achievement. their concern is that the overall fitness of their school's kids is their responsibility so they treat kids who don't pass like failures.

as you may have already guessed, i always always always failed the pull-up test.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: