ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
Willow Sylph
monkey

Winter Schminter

I abso-farkin-lutely can't stand the x-mas (see, can't even spell it out) holiday. I can't stand winter.
1) X-mas is a constant reminder to me that I am alone, because most of my family doesn't celebrate it (it's against their religion).
2) X-mastime reminds me of all the years when we did spend time together as a family - one of the very fews time throughout the year.
3) X-mas is too expensive. How the heck do people afford this holiday?! I can barely afford to take care of myself and my son, much less buy gifts for a bunch of people at work that I really don't want to get gifts for, but am pressured to buy for anyway. And after I'm done spending money buying gifts for them, I don't have anymore money to buy for the people I'd really like to buy gifts for.
4) Winter is too dark. I cannot stand leaving work, a place that I have to spend most of my life at, only to go outside to darkness and cold.
5) tend to feel way less motivated during the winter.

Am I the only person who feels like this? What do you guys do to "cure the winter blahs"?
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Large Marge
monkey

I moved to Hawaii.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
melissa
monkey

I hate this month because my mom committed suicide on December 4th 1990, which really has prevented me from feeling the holiday spirit for most of the past 14 years. Even though I'm no longer filled with rage and depressed all year long, I still don't really want to participate in the consumerism that this season has turned into.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
Willow Sylph
monkey

Oh...man. I'm sorry, Mel.
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
melissa
monkey

Thanks, Willow. It's been long enough that I only get sad (not depressed) for a few days. Which I think is appropriate and ok. And I rarely have the rage inside me anymore, but I know it's there and that is enough to keep me out of trouble.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I am truly sorry to hear that, melissa.

*hug*

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Zaftig
monkey

Melissa, I am so sorry that this has got to be one of the hardest days of the year for you. I'm thinking of you sweetie.
*warms HUGE hugs* I wish that could be a real hug. I really do. My heart goes out to you.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
masterofNone
________

imagine me not being the curmudgeon.

i like christmas time. i like the crowds of people all stressing out because they're trying to find the right present for someone else... not because of some selfish reason for once. i like that all the stores are playing music i know all the words to. i like that i spend a month or so walking around singing or whistling pretty and comforting and nostalgic tunes. i like that folks have a moment to drop a few coins in the salvation army bucket. i like the opportunity to roast a big animal. i like the excuse to see my family.

i'm sorry for your loss, melissa... i completely understand how that memory would bring you down. i can't imagine. and, y'know, there are lot's of legitimate reasons for the holidays to be a downer in general. but y'know... on the whole, i like christmas.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:27 PM   #9
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally posted by melissa
I hate this month because my mom committed suicide on December 4th 1990, which really has prevented me from feeling the holiday spirit for most of the past 14 years. Even though I'm no longer filled with rage and depressed all year long, I still don't really want to participate in the consumerism that this season has turned into.
Awww, honeybee. *hugs* We are here if you need us.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
Avalon

Melissa,
I am so very sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate. As Pricey said, we are here for you.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:38 PM   #11
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

i ... um...love this time of year... the snow...the warm cocoa...

but yea sometimes its just a really long cold depressing grey time.

*raises a mug of steamy chocolateyness* but heres to the warm glowing happiness of the season
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:22 PM   #12
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I hate Christmas.

-Dr. Seuss

Last edited by zenbabe : 12-06-2004 at 03:02 PM.
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:43 AM   #13
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I used to get drunk on Hallowe'en and just fvcking stay that way until after St. Patrick's Day.

Nowadays I try to cope by remembering that it is 120 days until our trip to Taos. I am also keeping busy with my business. Having a business that makes most of its money between November and February is a sure cure for the holiday blues, although this can backfire when the stupid questions start rolling in and the stress cranks up.

Another surefire distraction is to start writing a book about firefighters and doing all your research during the boring winter months.

-- trisherina
Old 12-05-2004, 02:30 AM   #14
Large Marge
monkey

Are you a writer, Sparticle?
Old 12-05-2004, 03:10 AM   #15
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally posted by Large Marge
Are you a writer, Sparticle?
Yep. I hope to be a paid writer. This is a lifelong dream of mine. I have probably written thousands of pages over the last ten years -- emails, blogging, poems, informal manuscripts that had no real destination or purpose -- and now it's time to go to work. I found (was struck by?) inspiration recently and I'm acting on it.

Don't know why all of a sudden I am serious about it, with drive and direction and an achievable goal, after a lifetime of being a "wannabe", but I'm not going to ask why. I'm just going to do this. It may take me a year to finish the book and two to find a publisher, but I'm determined to do this.

Thanks for asking.

-- trisherina

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: