ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #136
zenbabe
Lollypop!

IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!!

It felt so good to go walk around the block in it!!!!!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 04:18 AM   #137
Brynn
constantly amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambo
There's no point whatsoever in roasting yourself alive.
Look at it this way - you'll only be using it in the summer
Okay, well, after today, in this case, I've decided that any illusions I had about individuals being able to make a difference to the environment have all turned out to be total hogwash.

We went in search of AC - 1000 BTU's, it turns out, is nothing. It's a fan, maybe. I wanted a polar blast of icy air. I'm talking 12,000 BTU's.
The first place we went wanted $549.00 for one that was 8000 BTU's. It was their last one. It was huge, ugly and portable. We said eh. We can find something better someplace else. Little did we know.
Four, count 'em, four sold-out stores later, we pulled into the parking lot of a Lowe's Hardware store, where we encountered on our way inside no less than six customers wheeling Fridgedaire air conditioners to their cars. Some had two and three in their carts.
We thought "Well, that's just crazy."
Inside as we walked past the cashiers, all five stations were ringing up a new air conditioner for someone, with others in line behind them with the same thing.
We were starting to get a little concerned when we saw a mini-forklift of air conditioners go by and a crowd of about seven immediately gathered. It was a 6000 BTU unit going for $129. This scene could get ugly.
I jokingly said to the employee unloading it "Where do we get on the wait list for an air conditioner?"
He replied, sotto voce, "These ten are the last ones in the store. Grab a cart and I'll pull you a unit before the crowd gets to them. Hurry."

That's what I call good sales technique.

So even though we were looking for something entirely different, we bought one anyway and became one of those people wheeling a cheap candy-ass 6000 BTU A/C to their car. We could always return it. The girl who rang us up told us that they'd sold over 1000 units that day.
So this is what global warming is going to look like, I thought.

Then, still in search of the ultimate monster unit, we drove half an hour to the next town to hunt down a 12,000 BTU lead at Fry's. The place was packed, and yes, everyone was shopping for an A/C unit. There was nothing left to speak of. I looked beseechingly at a salesman and he hissed us over.
"I found one left in stock this morning, and I've been saving it for some nice people. 12,000 BTU's. 500 bucks."
He wheeled it out for us. Huge, Portable, ugly. Loud, too, as it turned out. We bought it. Envious people looked on.
the problem was, at home, we ran that thing for four hours and it made no discernable difference. It was a glorified fan.
We turned it off and, just for fun, opened up the cheap unit and put it in the window instead. Within half an hour, the temp in the house dropped four degrees! It worked great.
We should've bought two and stacked them.
So the expensive, impotent monster (Amana) is definitely going back tomorrow.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #138
auntie aubrey
excursions

finally, my AC unit has been repaired. lo and behold, it turns out you CAN cool a 3rd floor apartment. the maintenance man didn't want to acknowledge the dwindling freon levels the last time we spoke, apparently.

i'm thinking of serving him with my electric bill when it arrives. "thank you, sir. please pay for the energy used by the unit that you refused to service."
Old 07-25-2006, 12:03 PM   #139
ambo
feline, naturally

I'm glad you guys are finally getting cool. Hurrah.
Yes, I think things are going to get a lot uglier before long.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, our A/C system runs 16 hours a day just to keep it 78 degrees on the ground floor of our house. You can feel the temperature rise at least 10 degrees as you climb the stairs. And the vent in the front bedroom is putting out a foul burning smell, we assume from the overheating blower motor. Too bad that is also the bird's room, and they are very susceptible to fumes, so I have a fan in there blowing the fumes out the half open window. There are two fans in our bedroom, a ceiling fan, and a Vornado blowing across the bed, just so we can sleep at night. There is a floor fan in the office; without it you just cannot work in there. And we are likely to be paying $400 or more each month in electric.

The scary thing is that if the blower motor goes, we are unlikely to find anyone to replace it inside of a week or two. Some places aren't even taking calls any more. That will mean packing up 6 cats and 2 birds, and trying to find a hotel for all of us until we can have our motor replaced. I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed that the worst of this heat wave will soon be over. Our system worked just fine when it was around 100 outside, but it's just too old to handle these 112 degree temps.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #140
auntie aubrey
excursions

with all those fans, i'll bet you have to yell to be heard. when our AC kicked off for the first time in a month last night the quiet was almost unnerving. up until now we've been running 3-4 fans, too.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #141
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
this is turning into some horrible sci-fi movie where everyone gets
fried and the scorpions take over the world and in their wrath at
smelly's dad, put us all in microwaves and watch us explode.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #142
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Poor Frieda!

July hottest month in Netherlands in 300 years
Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59am ET
Science News

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - July 2006 is on track to be the hottest month in the Netherlands since temperatures were first measured in 1706, the Dutch meteorological institute KNMI said on Tuesday.

Average daily temperatures in the first 24 days of July were a record of 22.3 degrees Celsius (72.14F) compared with the previous record of 21.4 degrees in July 1994 and normal average temperatures of 17.4, the KNMI said.

"July 2006 is the hottest month ever," it said in a statement.

Dutch temperature records, launched in the beginning of the 18th century, are among the oldest in the world. Methodical thermometer-based records began on a more global basis around 1850.

Dutch meteorologists say they cannot make a direct link between global warming and the heatwave in Europe, although the KNMI has forecast a clear warming trend in the next 50 years and an increasing number of heatwaves.

Temperatures in the Netherlands rose as high as 36-37 degrees last week, when two people died during a walking event which was later canceled.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #143
Frieda
in limbo

^^^ tell me something new.....

it's hot.. tomorrow 35c again, then hopefully some thunderstorms on thursday!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #144
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
the problem was, at home, we ran that thing for four hours and it made no discernable difference. It was a glorified fan.
We turned it off and, just for fun, opened up the cheap unit and put it in the window instead. Within half an hour, the temp in the house dropped four degrees!
Rank amateurs. Heh.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:24 AM   #145
magdalen
OOwdevie

not anymore !

magdalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #146
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
yeah, it's suddenly autumn. i wanna go back to moaning about
the heat again. although i was criticised by some style gurus
about the sandals.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:56 AM   #147
Brynn
constantly amazed

Chilly this morning. wore cute sweater to work. got bucks back from broken 12,000 btu glorified fan. found extra throw for bed.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #148
zenbabe
Lollypop!

It rained yesterday.

It is August.

-Dr. Seuss
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #149
ambo
feline, naturally

that is strange, zen

It's been rather nice here - cool mornings, bearable afternoons, cool nights...

Roseville, CA Clear, 73

Friday 92 / 60

Saturday 90 / 59

Sunday 90 / 58

Monday 89 / 59
Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #150
zenbabe
Lollypop!

it is nice today, 75 and breezy.

-Dr. Seuss

Display Modes Rate This Thread