ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
Avalon

And yet I adore you
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #17
ambo
feline, naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzdale
Oh stop.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
ambo
feline, naturally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flanders
Ok, guys, I enjoyed your questions - keep 'em coming. Also remember that we live in different climates, so I may not know where you live in this crazy, mixed up world.

I need a drink!! Skoal!
Thanks for the answers you could give. I know my questions were too general. I've got a lot of different plants in this yard. Too many, if you ask me! Citrus trees, lots of different kinds of lilies, gardenias, some kind of crawling daisies, oleanders, lavender, geranium, rhododendrum, pampass grass, some kind of vine with lovely mint-like leaves and purple flowers (all over the yard), tons of others I wouldn't even know how to identify. Geez, I guess it's hopeless.....

Anyway, lifting my glass to you, Jack!

Last edited by ambo : 08-07-2006 at 09:28 PM.
ambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #19
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
What is your favorite color? Yeah, Monty Python! How tall do you need? What season? Spring - summer - fall? or all of them? I'll get back to you on that one. I live in Zone 6b so have a few more plants to work with than you do.
I have no favourite colour, really. (That would require an identity.) I have spring bulbs that come in, and by the end of May I usually put in annuals. I hate begonias. Hate hate hate them. Other than that, anything goes. Nothing taller than three feet, I guess. I've tried a few shady perennials, but so far nothing has liked the wind. This year I've got pansies out there and even THEY are flagging!
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #20
ambo
feline, naturally

Trish, does it have to be a flower? Ferns do really well in the shade. Not sure how they would handle wind though.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #21
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Well, the general look of things is Rocky Mountainish, so I have a lot more green than flowering things as it is. I keep three flowering borders, one in front and two in back, and I pretty much insist that they have some kind of colour in spring and summer. One border in the back is exposed to hot sun and wind and planted in soil the quality of which is most often found in drainage ditches -- so I did a bit of xeroscaping and put in liatris, lavender, butterfly bush and a Prairie Rose -- all perennial varieties for this zone. That took a lot of trial and error, though. I'm hoping for a similar solution for the shady front without quite so much trial!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #22
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

I agree, sorry the other question is always "Do you have pets?" So, you understand the problem with doing diagnostic landscaping via Ze (gosh bless him) has it's limitations.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:19 AM   #23
Anna
n

Weeds are just misplaced plants.
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #24
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Who kill their neighbours. Hmm.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 AM   #25
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Last edited by Jack Flanders : 08-08-2006 at 02:36 AM.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #26
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trisherina
Well, the general look of things is Rocky Mountainish, so I have a lot more green than flowering things as it is. I keep three flowering borders, one in front and two in back, and I pretty much insist that they have some kind of colour in spring and summer. One border in the back is exposed to hot sun and wind and planted in soil the quality of which is most often found in drainage ditches -- so I did a bit of xeroscaping and put in liatris, lavender, butterfly bush and a Prairie Rose -- all perennial varieties for this zone. That took a lot of trial and error, though. I'm hoping for a similar solution for the shady front without quite so much trial!
a good shadow plant is vinca minor or vinca major, it grows like ass so be careful your other plants don't get overgrown. not sure if it's good for your weather type though. Choisya ternata is also good for shadow!

you can also try some other bulbs, like akonites (winter), lilies or onion-like bulbs, summer bulbs like anemones.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:17 AM   #27
Frieda
in limbo

from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda
bugs are in the different species of chrysants and leucanthemum species and in the gerberas.

i have more plants but they don't eat those..

i get all my plants at the garden center or at a grower's greenhouse. i keep them outside over the winter, the leaves die off but they come up every year during spring. sometimes i cover the pots with newspapers to protect them from the cold.

edited to add: plants with bugs aren't allowed inside the house anyway

oh yeah
Old 08-08-2006, 03:31 AM   #28
Frieda
in limbo

black spots on rose leaves are some kind of fungus.

try making the rose more happy. does it get enough light and air? are the roots all cramped up? try mixing some special rose fertilizer into the soil for a better growth.

water on the soil, not on the leaves, and keep cutting off the leaves with spots on them and throw them away to prevent a further spread of the fungus.

oh yeah
Old 08-08-2006, 03:37 AM   #29
Brynn
constantly amazed

Quote:
(P.S.) We spent a week recently in Maine. It was the beginning of the heat wave, so it actually reached the 90's up there, too. Spent many an hour neck deep in the lake!!! It was glorious!!!
Now I've got my dream to think about for tonight...thanks Jack! (g'nite!)
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #30
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda
a good shadow plant is vinca minor or vinca major, it grows like ass so be careful your other plants don't get overgrown. not sure if it's good for your weather type though. Choisya ternata is also good for shadow!
I'll check these out for my zone. The first is fine, I think, but the second might not be.

PS. THANKS!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: