ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Klynne
monkey

The Fourth of July

For some reason, in the State of Michigan, especially on the west side of the state, people start setting off fireworks a month before the blessed event. I don't care, does not bother me...My dog is a wreck. Huddles and hides. She acts like a PTSD victim fresh back from being on the front line. I try to comfort her, but, she does not believe me that we are not under a full attack from the enemy lines. sigh.
Klynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
xfox
slightly effective

Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

I always think of my Dad on this day many years ago today he was born in Beverly MA (home of the Navy), enlisted in WWII fought in the Pacific and died in '78 on December 7th. How does one get more patriotic than that? He loved what he did and most of his life did what he loved, flew planes and sailed. I regret that governments take advantage of youth and it's requisite sense of immortality, and wish we did not have differences and desires to conquer, alas.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne View Post
For some reason, in the State of Michigan, especially on the west side of the state, people start setting off fireworks a month before the blessed event. I don't care, does not bother me...My dog is a wreck. Huddles and hides. She acts like a PTSD victim fresh back from being on the front line. I try to comfort her, but, she does not believe me that we are not under a full attack from the enemy lines. sigh.
if you comfort a dog when he's scared, he will see it as a reward for acting afraid. just try and act relaxed and go about your daily business. the dog will see you are calm and act accordingly. they're dogs, not kids

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Klynne
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda View Post
if you comfort a dog when he's scared, he will see it as a reward for acting afraid. just try and act relaxed and go about your daily business. the dog will see you are calm and act accordingly. they're dogs, not kids
You are right on point. I asked a friend of mine that is a vet tech, and she told me to ignore my dog when she freaks out. For the exact reasons you said.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Klynne
monkey

[quote=xfox;428762]Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

I always think of my Dad on this day many years ago today he was born in Beverly MA (home of the Navy), enlisted in WWII fought in the Pacific and died in '78 on December 7th. How does one get more patriotic than that? He loved what he did and most of his life did what he loved, flew planes and sailed. I regret that governments take advantage of youth and it's requisite sense of immortality, and wish we did not have differences and desires to conquer, alas.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.[/QUOTE

We certainly owe the people of our armed forces, past, and present. My uncle, my father's only sibling, died in Vietnam in 1972. My uncle was a dentist and his education was paid for through the ROTC. He had to repay this debt. He died in a jeep accident. He was leaving an officer's club, and the man driving hit another vehicle. He was only 28. This has left a huge hole in my dad's heart. My poor grandmother never got over it, even until her last few weeks on earth. She died of cancer. While she was in the hospice, she always wanted to talk about him. I don't remember him, I was all of 4 when he died. She said to me "When you father was a little boy, he always asked for a little sister. So, when I became pregnant, I prayed that I would have a girl. Do you think this is why God took my son from me? I prayed for a sister for your dad, and then I had a boy. Did God punish me for this?" God, talk about gut wrenching. I reassured her that I do not believe God works in this sort of way. Just sad to think this is how she thought about things for years....
Old 07-16-2011, 04:01 AM   #6
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

I am not surprised to read that your dad was a naval aviator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox View Post
Your doggy is actually okay, K.. Eats, right? Poops, too? Animals react, and me too sometimes. Some enjoy horror flics, right? Some, love stories.

We are (sort of) free as a result of a few good men, however, and very good fortune.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

^^ Next time around (or if this sort of thing ever happens to someone else
Don't say anything just leave the premises for an hour or so and then come back with a large
"Ghetto blaster" or some surch. Maybe tuned in to the Christian rock
Station
Or maybe with this song :: Jeremy Camp. "The Way"
On endless repeat
(With the volume turned up high. !!)

ps
lest everyone forget:: "the fourth of July should be celebrated with pomp and parade"

Last edited by MoJoRiSin : 07-16-2011 at 11:02 PM.
MoJoRiSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: