Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 12:23 PM   #121
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/17/news...peta_story.jpg
Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 AM   #122
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

all of that nonsense...is why i dun come into the debate hall... sheesh some peoples kids!
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #123
Saxifrage
monkey

I was enjoying reading the argument but now I suppose I will speak a bit about PETA. Yes they do go too far sometimes, don't we all? People who abuse animals malliciously rate rightup there with rapist and murderers in my book. If someone where to come along and torture my beloved cat (had her for 10 years now) to death I would want them to pay to the fullest extent of the law, which if PETA wasn't involved would probably rate a 50 dollar fine or some such nonsense. Now there are trends to increase penalties for blatant animal cruelty, would this have come about without these radical aniimal lovers fighting tooth and nail, I don't know but wish them luck.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 PM   #124
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

World's Scientists Admit They Just Don't Like Mice
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:45 AM   #125
Avalon

I am not one to laugh at tragedy, honestly I am not; but this caught me off guard. Sorry dude, but WTF were you thinking?? (And they will find the animal to blame, what do you want to bet?
)

MAN KILLED BY PET WILDEBEEST

A wildebeest that was part of a man's menagerie of exotic animals trampled him to death on his northern Indiana farm, police said.

It was unclear what caused the roughly 225-kilogram (500-pound) wildebeest, an African antelope also known as a gnu, to attack Klaus "Dick" Radandt, 64, in the barnyard behind his home Sunday in North Liberty, about 16 kilometers (10 miles) southwest of South Bend.

Police said Radandt's wife, Terrilyn, became concerned when he did not return for lunch after going to the barnyard about 10 a.m. She investigated and found him lying on the ground and called paramedics, who were unable to revive him.

Wildebeests naturally grow large curved horns, but this animal's horns had been cut down to the nubs, police said.

St. Joseph County Coroner Chuck Hurley said the male animal apparently used its head to repeatedly ram Radandt and then trampled him after he fell to the ground. The official cause of death was blunt force trauma to the chest and head, Hurley said.

St. Joseph County Police Cpl. Steven Shively, who investigated the death, said he was told that male wildebeests become very aggressive this time of year because it is the beginning of its mating season.

With a female wildebeest nearby, the animal may have considered Radandt a threat.

Shively said the Radandts own three wildebeests -- a male, a female and a calf the pair produced. They also own several other exotic animals, such as ostriches, emus, reindeer and llamas, he said.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:10 AM   #126
zenbabe
Lollypop!

^^ darwin awards

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #127
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

I'd be pretty angry if you cut my large manly curved horns down to nubs, too.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:23 AM   #128
zenbabe
Lollypop!

hey, at least they can digest corn!

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #129
tsunamimom
I'll put the kettle on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxifrage
Now there are trends to increase penalties for blatant animal cruelty, would this have come about without these radical aniimal lovers fighting tooth and nail, I don't know but wish them luck.
PETA seem to be getting some of the credit here for more local grassroots efforts - here in Douglas County it was the work of the local Humane Society that made Animal Cruelty a felony in GA rather than a misdemeanor. Before they lost the animal control contract, thanks to local politicking, DCHS officers were travelling all over the N. Georgia area advising animal control officers and DA's on how to prosecute animal cruelty.

love
Jo
tsunamimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #130
zenbabe
Lollypop!

(AP) - Dumping the bodies of dead dogs and cats in the garbage is wrong, but the president of Norfolk-based People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said Friday that animal cruelty charges against two employees won't stick.

click

-Dr. Seuss
Old 06-19-2005, 06:08 PM   #131
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Aw, that's too bad. I like PETA, I think they do a tremendous amount of good, even if their methods to communicate their message to the public are a bit over-the-top.

The last thing they need is two careless employees giving the entire organization a bad name.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:06 PM   #132
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Shelters Upset PETA Killed Animals Instead Of Adopting Out

POSTED: 11:44 am PDT June 22, 2005

NORFOLK, Va. -- Two North Carolina counties have stopped turning over shelter animals to People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Officials said they were surprised to learn the group euthanized cats and dogs instead of trying to find them homes. They said they believed the animals were being taken for evaluation, and were being adopted out -- and that euthanasia would be only a last resort.

PETA said unfortunately, even some healthy animals may be euthanized if PETA cannot find them homes. Documents show PETA euthanized about 6,100 domestic animals from 2001-2003.

Two PETA employees have been charged with animal cruelty for dumping dead animals they collected in eastern North Carolina into a shopping center's garbage bins

-Dr. Seuss

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: