Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #91
lukkucairi
earth worker

where's my interobang?

The invention of the interrobang
American Martin K. Speckter concocted the interrobang in 1962. As the head of an advertising agency, Speckter believed that advertisements would look better if advertising copywriters conveyed surprised queries using a single mark. He proposed the concept of a single punctuation mark in an article in the magazine TYPEtalks. Speckter solicited possible names for the new character from readers. Contenders included rhet, exclarotive, and exclamaquest, but he settled on interrobang. He chose the name to reference the punctuation marks that inspired it. Interrogatio is Latin for "a rhetorical question" or "cross-examination"; bang is printers' slang for "exclamation point". [1] The French equivalent is "point exclarrogatif", expressing a similar idea - the fusion between "point d'interrogation" (?) and "point d'exclamation" (!).

Graphic treatments for the new mark were also submitted in response to the article.

In 1966, Richard Isbell of American Type Founders issued the Americana typeface and included the interrobang as one of the characters. In 1968, an interrobang key was available on some Remington typewriters. During the 1970s, it was possible to buy replacement interrobang keycaps and strikers for some Smith-Corona typewriters. The interrobang was in vogue for much of the 1960s, with the word 'interrobang' appearing in some dictionaries and the mark itself being featured in magazine and newspaper articles.
The interrobang failed to amount to much more than a fad, however. It has not become a standard punctuation mark. Although most fonts do not include the interrobang, it has not disappeared: Microsoft provides several versions of the interrobang character as part of the Wingdings 2 character set ( on the }/] and the ~/` keys) available with Microsoft Office. It was accepted into Unicode and is present in the fonts Lucida Sans Unicode and Arial Unicode MS, among others.
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #92
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Okay, we've gotten off the Transformers trailer and on to something educational, thank heavens.

This is kinda neat. The "Loads" tab involves elephants.

Building Big Forces Lab
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #93
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I start back to school tomorrow. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time in here whether it's Monday or not...
I'm nervous; wish me luck.

-------------------------------
When you burn a candle, it gets smaller because the wax (hydrocarbon molecules) reacts with oxygen during burning to change into water, carbon dioxide, soot, light, and heat.

This is a photo of a candle flame in zero gravity:

It looks different because without air flow (warm air rising, etc), the gas exchange is slower and produces a lower temperature (and thus blue), soot-free, rounded flame.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:12 AM   #94
randy
monkey

What grade?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #95
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightpearl View Post
I start back to school tomorrow. Guess I'll be spending a lot of time in here whether it's Monday or not...
I'm nervous; wish me luck.

Ooh, just in time to give you your Schultüte:

Am a bit sorry bout the Diddl mouse (which terrorises Germany now since at least 15 years or so...), but for you in America it should be still new and sweet - I hope - and it was the most lovely decorated Tüte they had, well, and, anyways I put delicious things inside: pies, fans, wabisabi, and a variety of fine teas... and this:

well it's actually a toy - which ain't a bad thing either (watch out your son doesn't totally occupy it as his toy ), but it's also superb to visualise chemical structures.

Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #96
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

Corn is evil.

Look at it sitting there all smug. Plotting.
*shudder*

Actually, it's not corn that's the root of all evil. It's Nixon (predictably), and his effect on corn production.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 AM   #97
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
it's the syrup
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #98
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

^^
Quote:
Robert Lustig: Absolutely, we're being poisoned to death, that's a very strong statement but I think we can back it up with very clear scientific evidence.

Norman Swan: Are you postulating here a fructose conspiracy, the way the tobacco industry had a nicotine conspiracy?

Robert Lustig: Well I can't call it a conspiracy per se. I certainly know, and they certainly know that they sell more of it when they add the fructose to it. That's why it's in there, otherwise why would it be in there? Do they know that this is actually harmful? That's what I don't know. There's no smoking gun, ultimately we found the smoking gun for smoking, you know we found the documents. I'm not prepared to say that about the food companies. I do not know that they know that they are hurting us. However, they definitely know they sell more, and it temporarily coincides with the advent of fructose being added to our diet.
But I TOLD them this would happen if they trade tariffed sucrose out of existence! I told them, I told them, your Coke will taste like crap and you'll be POISONED! Okay, I only said the part about the Coke. But I meant the other part.
trisherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #99
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^You know, that's really true. Sugar cane is cheap in Mexico, so they still use cane sugar to sweeten drinks there, and the sodapop is so much tastier. And it comes in cute little glass bottles, except in areas where they prefer to serve it to you in a baggie with a straw, so they can get the glass deposit back.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #100
Odbe
hope dope

A digeridoo is a traditional instrument made by the indigenous people of Australia. Before European settlement, there were hundreds of languages spoken by different tribes, so of course its name varies from place to place but most non-Aboriginals simply use the name digeridoo.

The digeridoo is customarily only a man's instrument; in traditional Aboriginal society women were forbidden to touch it. It is played at ceremonies and as an accompaniment to dances. Although experienced digeridoo players make it look easy, it requires a lot of skill because all of the sounds must be produced by the player's mouth or throat.

A digeridoo is made from a sapling or small tree that has been hollowed out by termites. It is cut down, the bark is stripped off and any debris removed from the hollow. It is often painted with ochre in traditional patterns personal to the owner. The length of the digeridoo will determine which key it plays in, for example if you had a digeridoo that played in C and you cut some off you might end up with one that plays in G.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #101
tapanuli
intermittent guest

If you know what this is, please share with the class.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 PM   #102
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^Virginia Tiger Moth? (aka Yellow Bear) Not sure, but I do think it's a moth caterpillar.
-------------------------------------------

Ah, the unexpected side-effects of evolution. It's just sad, how interesting I think this is:

In a study in today's issue of the journal Nature, scientists found that fruit flies are attracted to the taste of carbon dioxide dissolved in water, or what we commonly call the fizz in soda.

The fruit flies use their nosy ability to find food in your kitchen, of course. Yeast and bacteria both produce carbon dioxide (CO2) when they feast, and the chemical dissolves readily in water.

A little moisture, some rotting fruit, and, well, you know what happens next.

Exactly how the flies discern which fruit to go after is not entirely known, but neurobiologist Kristin Scott of the University of California at Berkeley thinks it goes like this:

"Flies seek the right amount of rottenness," Scott explained. "If fruit is only half rotten, producing a little CO2, it's good; if too rotten, it gives off a lot of CO2 and is bad tasting. They seek a balance."

And it might be that humans can taste it, too. See, fruit flies contain similar versions of many human genes. That's why scientists study them so much.

"This research raises the question of whether people also may have the ability to taste carbon dioxide and perhaps other chemicals in food," said study team member James F. Battey of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. "If this were found to be true, our sense of taste could be even more complex than we realize."

Currently, scientists recognize five tastes in humans: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, and umami (also called savory; it's the taste of glutamate). And there is considerable debate about the existence of a sixth taste receptor for fat, too.

(So, to review, the basic tastes MAY be: sweet, salty, bitter, sour, savory, and rotten.)
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #103
auntie aubrey
excursions

^^ that's funny, i found the exact same caterpillar recently and was wondering the same thing.

when all else fails, email the guy at whatsthatbug.com and he'll identify it for you. worked for me in the past.

edit: i just poked around his site. it's a tussock moth caterpillar.

Last edited by auntie aubrey : 08-31-2007 at 06:46 PM.
auntie aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #104
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^Brilliant site, auntie, thanks!! I'm sure I'll be around there lots...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 PM   #105
T.I.P.
balancing actor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapanuli View Post

If you know what this is, please share with the class.
this is a "test tube cleaner" bug. You set it loose for 5 minutes in any test tube and it will wipe it completely clean.
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: