ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > MUSIC
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
lapietra
half baked

classical/opera

Anybody else into it? God, I hope so, otherwise I'm out of a job...

My fave recordings:

Leonard Bernstein's recordings of Barber's "Adagio", Mahler's "Adagietto" and Vaughan Williams' "Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis"

"Hab' mir's gelobt, ihn lieb zu haben" from Strauss' "Der Rosenkavalier, sung by Hilde Konetzni, Emmy Loose, and Elisabeth Hoengen of the Vienna Opera House, 1944 (makes me cry *every time*)

Jessye Norman: All of her art song work, especially Strauss' "Vier Letzte Lieder", Berg's "Seven Early Songs" and Schoenberg's Cabaret Songs. Not quite as excited about her opera work, which is, you know, really good. Just not as entrancing for *me*.

Kirsten Flagstad: Anything, especially her Leonora in Beethoven's Fidelio, her "Dich, teure halle," from Wagner's Tannhauser and her "Mild und leise" from Wagner's Tristan und Isolde

Rosa Ponselle: Anything, especially her "Ernani, involami" from Verdi's "Ernani", her "Suicido!" from Ponchielli's Gioconda, and her "En vain pour e'viter les re'ponses am'eres" from Bizet's Carmen.

Beethoven's 5th as performed by the Berlin Phil under von Karajan

Brahms' German Requiem as performed by the Berlin Phil under Claudio Abbado

Anything and everything by Claude Debussy

I could go on, but that would leave no music for anyone else...

Last edited by lapietra : 09-28-2002 at 05:43 PM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 12:00 AM   #2
red
elite rabble

Opera
Does Gilbert & Sullivan count?
My mermories of opera aren't really fond ones. My parents love it. Whenever we go on car trips we'd eventually end up listening to some opera. I did like the Gilbert & Sullivan because I could follow it and it was funny, but I was a kid.
Classical
I'm not up on classical composers. When I like something enough to listen for who wrote it, it's ususally Mozart or Beethoven.
There will always be people to enjoy it, that's why it's been around so long in the first place.
Old 09-28-2002, 10:37 PM   #3
lapietra
half baked

I just thought of another....

I have a recording of Marion Verbruggen, a recorder virtuoso, doing Bach cello suites... on recorder! Her transcription. The prelude from Suite No. 1 in G major, as played by her, is one of my favorite things in the world... it sounds to me like a fresh cool breeze on a sunny day in spring... I used to begin many mornings listening to it. I'm sure everyone's heard this on cello (the tune has graced a number of commercials ) - but this is another thing entirely - do yourself a favor & check it out - if you can find it. I just checked the internet & can't find it for sale anywhere... even the Harmonia Mundi site doesn't list it. Hmmmm.... maybe they're remastering it.

Harmonia Mundi - J.S. Bach - Three Suites - HMU 907071.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:11 AM   #4
bbutrosghali

One of my all-time favorite recordings is the version of Mozart's C-minor Mass with Sylvia McNair as the lead Soprano. I believe it's with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields, but I could be wrong on that. Just an outstanding performance, particularly the soprano duet.

bbg
Old 12-04-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Zyle
No Longer In Hiding

Schubert's string quintet D703 is heaven every time I hear it, the Takacs Quartet recording with Miklos Perenyi as the extra cellist is fantastic. My favourite de-stress record of all time.

Gotta say I prefer playing to listening though.. gonna throw a few things down that I loved being a part of and that everybody should hear, though I don't know the best recordings.
Shostakovich 2nd Piano Concerto - especially the 2nd movement.
Sibelius 2nd symphony (just played that with my uni orchestra last Sunday.. *drools*)
Vaughn Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
Mahler Symphony 1
and stuff i really really wanna play:
Shostakovich symphonies 5, 7 and 10. I love them all deeply.
Shostakovich 8th quartet - as soon as I get a quartet going I am so playing this, it's so disturbed.. it was his own musical suicide note (tho fortunately as it turned out he had some good mates who stopped him doing the deed!) Shostakovich is about as close to being my idol as it gets
Old 12-04-2002, 12:59 PM   #6
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

I like Vaughan Williams "FoaTbTT" too. Sublime.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:42 PM   #7
lapietra
half baked

Zyle - hope Shostakovich is only your *musical* idol...
I'd love to hear you - do you have anything you could link to?
Old 12-04-2002, 08:41 PM   #8
Zyle
No Longer In Hiding

LOL yeah I wasn't planning on following his lifestyle, not the *best* to follow really

Hmm.. I don't have anything up right now, I guess I can hook my mic up next time i'm practising (probably not for a while as i have so many god damned essays due in right now.. hence the siggy) i miss my practise, i haven't been able to do much since i got to uni. oh well, I'm home this time next week, I'll try to get something uploaded for ya
Hows about you? Anywhere I can hear you?
Old 12-04-2002, 10:52 PM   #9
Zyle
No Longer In Hiding

aah Madame Butterfly was the first opera I saw, and damn I cried at the end. I've only seen Carmen in English, but I think it probably helped my understanding (I was 15 or so). I'd love to see it again now. I haven't been to the opera in far too long. I don't get much opportunity where I live, kinda have to go a long way out to get any decent productions.
I prefer orchestral stuff anyway and get enough of that, but it's still a shame. I'm going to make more of an effort
Old 12-04-2002, 11:53 PM   #10
lapietra
half baked

Zyle - I have an mp3 of me singing "Il est doux, il est bon" in a lesson here:

Il est doux, il est bon

It's not *great* - I wasn't paying any attention to expression or dynamics, just technique... And I have a better recording of me singing "Un bel di" in another lesson that I'll post here in the next day or two, if you're interested...

nycwiters: Yeah - that's the Baz Luhrman production, right? I actually auditioned for that out here - if I tell you how I felt about it you'll accuse me of sour grapes, so I won't.
If you go, I'd be curious what your impressions are...

Last edited by lapietra : 12-04-2002 at 11:56 PM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 09:30 AM   #11
Zyle
No Longer In Hiding

lapietra you have such a fantastic voice! I'd love to hear "Un bel di"...
I wish I could sing. I mean I have done a lot of choir stuff, but I so wish I could really SING
Old 12-05-2002, 10:36 PM   #12
lapietra
half baked

Thanks! Well, some days I agree...
I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend but I'll try to get the "Un bel di" file uploaded & link to it in the next couple of days... I appreciate that you're interested!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:13 PM   #13
wizard
monkey

Hey Lapietra,

first of all Happy Birthday !

Great day to listen to Cecila Bartoli, both the Vivaldi Album

or the Mozart Portraits - especially for you:

Exultate, jubilate - K 165

Very nice also for the Christmas time is

J.S. Bach - Weihnachtsoratorium

"Jauchzet, frohlocket - auf preiset den Namen..."

Have a wonderful day !
wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:07 PM   #14
lapietra
half baked

Thank you!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #15
eloycm

more bach on recorder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapietra
I have a recording of Marion Verbruggen, a recorder virtuoso, doing Bach cello suites... on recorder! Her transcription. The prelude from Suite No. 1 in G major, as played by her, is one of my favorite things in the world... it sounds to me like a fresh cool breeze on a sunny day in spring... I used to begin many mornings listening to it. I'm sure everyone's heard this on cello (the tune has graced a number of commercials ) - but this is another thing entirely - do yourself a favor & check it out - if you can find it. I just checked the internet & can't find it for sale anywhere... even the Harmonia Mundi site doesn't list it. Hmmmm.... maybe they're remastering it.

Harmonia Mundi - J.S. Bach - Three Suites - HMU 907071.
Hello .
My name is Eloy Cortinez and I'm a recorder player. I've just finished recording a cd with the 3 first suites on recorder of course following Marion's inspiration.
I would like to invite everyone to visit my site where you can have the cd image for free (free registration required).
Hope to see you there.
Eloy
eloycm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: