ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #586
lukkucairi
earth worker

hey hey thanks - my friend Sallie is a pro photographer and got WAY better pix than I did of the burn (I was busy attending, not so much concentrating on my camera) - I'll post a link to some of those when I get one.

she's still probably on the road back from BRC - the late crew were leaving today and it'll be a 14-16 hour drive.

got my pix up on flickr and sorted (sorry, the nakey pictures of Anthony are now all set to private ) and I've copied all the .mov files over to the mac for consolidation. inbetween all of this I'm spending quality time with a trailer full of camp crap and playa dust we've got parked out on the street. I'm negatively affecting property values, don'tcha know

I missed you guys too - it's weird that the board lost 15 days of posts, which is about the amount of time I was gone. it's as if time stood still for me here...
lukkucairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #587
Odbe
hope dope

^Wow, it's like you're so important that if you're not on the board, it doesn't exist.

Playa dust must be like sand when coming back from a beach vacation - like you've taken a little bit of the spirit of the place with you, and you keep finding it trickling off things or stuck in corners.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #588
LadyCrow
WhY sO SiRiUs?

This month marks my 6th year anniversary here on this board. Happy anniversary to me...

"If there is a bedrock principle of the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable."

-- Justice William J. Brennan
(1906-1997) U. S. Supreme Court Justice
Source: Texas vs. Johnson, 1989

Illegitimi non carborundum...

Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. - Heath Ledger
LadyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #589
RuneT
baaaaah?

Today I will have to go out drinking beer with students while promoting the company I work for. I hate my job! They will have to pay me overtime for this.

I'm sep 2002 as well so

RuneT, respect!!

Last edited by RuneT : 09-03-2008 at 10:38 AM.
RuneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #590
lukkucairi
earth worker

^ happy 6th, LC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odbe View Post
^Wow, it's like you're so important that if you're not on the board, it doesn't exist.

Playa dust must be like sand when coming back from a beach vacation - like you've taken a little bit of the spirit of the place with you, and you keep finding it trickling off things or stuck in corners.
hehe, that does wonders for my solipsistic tendencies

playa dust is a little more persistent than sand - finer, and gets into your stuff in greater quantities. I don't think it's possible to get rid of it entirely, no matter how you try.

the final night was the temple burn:
DSCN1414
the temple is in deep playa, a long way from the main camp area of black rock city - this year, maybe a mile out. I had put some of my father's ashes in it, and my husband had put a picture of his dad in there too (he died a year ago Sep 8) - so we sat and watched this structure burn down for two hours - and while we watched, a dust storm rolled in. a cold front had arrived with winds sustained at probably 40mph, and the dust was incredible.

it's pretty rare to have a full-on whiteout at night, and I was caught without goggles or respirator. luckily our camp was downwind or I don't know how we'd have gotten home. my husband and I both had beacons - lights mounted on poles - so we went in front and the rest of the group followed us until we got back to the main camp area. we met many people who were completely lost and turned around, and when we got back to esplanade (the main road along the front of the camps) a few people came up and thanked us for leading them home with our lights.

it's sometimes hard to get back to your camp after the temple burn in any case, as people have begun to pack up and leave and a lot of the landmarks you used during the week have simply vanished (as well as the street signs being stolen). a lot of the city had come apart around us, but we didn't have any trouble finding our way home. my husband and I arrived at our truck, where we were planning to sleep for the night - we have a shell on the bed, and that's where we'd been sleeping all week.

I turned the truck around so it was pointing into the storm, and we climbed into the back. I turned on the LED bar lights and all the fine dust in the air was illuminated. we had a cardboard box of food and a box of Aussie wine, and we sat there eating our rations and drinking shiraz out of a plastic mug while the truck was buffeted by the winds and little handfuls of rain struck the roof every so often. I looked at my husband and had to laugh - his face and hands were completely white with dust, and he was wearing a full-length thrift-store faux fur coat and an antique fur explorer's hat that were both thick with it. with his wire-rimmed glasses, he could have walked out of a 1905 arctic exploration or a Phillip Pullman novel. I'm sure I looked just as extraordinary.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #591
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Yesterday I saw a bunch of fully loaded playa coated cars and suvs heading into SF bay area from the direction of NV. Made me think of u Lukku...ya, that dust looks tenacious.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #592
skip intro
get to it

Why do hippies always have to set fire to things?
skip intro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #593
lukkucairi
earth worker

^hm, I always thought of "hippies" as those people who substitute patchouli essence for good personal hygiene, wear a lot of hemp-based clothing, and pretend to like eating soy nuts...those who enjoy setting fire to stuff I always thought of as "pyromaniacs"

in seriousness, I burn my art because it's the process, not the product. I guess I lack a religion and putting Dad's ashes in the burn helped me greatly to move on - judge how you will.

and when it comes to fire, I'm a lot like Beavis
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 AM   #594
Odbe
hope dope

I have so many plans and ideas and projects, but in the end I forget that people get tired.
Odbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #595
MoJoRiSin
unbelievable

& double

infact:
MoJoRiSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #596
LadyCrow
WhY sO SiRiUs?

Coffee is a wonderful thing.

"If there is a bedrock principle of the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable."

-- Justice William J. Brennan
(1906-1997) U. S. Supreme Court Justice
Source: Texas vs. Johnson, 1989

Illegitimi non carborundum...

Whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. - Heath Ledger
LadyCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #597
lukkucairi
earth worker

this arrived in email yesterday
Old 09-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #598
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^ so beautiful!!

Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #599
lukkucairi
earth worker

^thanks! - check out the synchronized swimming guerrilla art:

http://vimeo.com/1690683

Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 PM   #600
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

^I knew it'd be worth to fiddle around with my Linux till I can see the jellyfish
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: