ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.08 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 AM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Bankrupcy Bill Passes...thoughts?

bush is an asshole, let's just get that out of the way right now...

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
shmitty
monkey

I only have one thing to say. I have no idea what it is like to be bankrupt, I have very little debt and I really don't know how this law will effect people who legitematly need to file. However, I do know that it is really easy to file currently and I know people who were intentionally going to use that to their advantage. One of my coworkers was planning on getting as many loans and credit cards as possible, buy a house and whatever else he wanted, put himself into complete and utter debt, and then file for bankruptcy. He was then going to wait the amount of time needed for it to leave his record and start over. Maybe the laws do need to be tightened. I don't know for sure, but I do know that it's easy to abuse the way it is now. Just like welfare.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams
shmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
craig johnston
dalai clique

Location: tea leaf towers - home of fine musical entertainment
wasn't that a band? - bankruptcy bill and the bouncing czechs
Old 03-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
Saxifrage
monkey

I have no credit cards and no outstanding debt. Having said that I may say that this bill is purely self serving lobbied for by the credit card companies specifically to stop people from running out on a heap of credit card debt that the companies happily extended. If these companies give credit to persons who obviously can't ever afford these debts then they are as liable for the debt as the person who ran it up. What needs to be fixed is the system of corporate bankruptcy and welfare. Did you know we still pay the same amount of our tax dollars to welfare as we ever did? Now it goes to subsidise failing corps. instead of poor families.

It is times like these that I look back on the movie "Fight Club" and have evil thoughts on how to best deal with legal loansharks like the credit card companies.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
zenbabe
Lollypop!

And God forbid the people that don't have health insurance, because they are working under temporary status forever, that has something really bad happen to them, and end up with a $85,000 medical bill.......

suck it up, don't be a chump!

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
xfox
slightly effective

you read Forbes?

I think we have too many #@*! laws. Especially the ones that have too many words. Who can read it all? Half of it is incomprehensible. Laws should be written so people can understand them.

If everybody is equal under God and the law, and some people produce more than they consume should the ones who intentionally take advantage by consuming more than they produce get away with it?

Too many lawyers in Washington DC is part of the problem.

Last edited by xfox : 03-21-2005 at 06:34 AM.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 AM   #7
shmitty
monkey

Ever heard the saying "You can have cream, but not until everyone has milk."?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams
shmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbabe
And God forbid the people that don't have health insurance, because they are working under temporary status forever, that has something really bad happen to them, and end up with a $85,000 medical bill.......

milk = health insurance

I would like some milk, please.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
Saxifrage
monkey

Debt Slavery, What the bankruptcy bill can do to you
by David Swanson

The U.S. Senate has passed a dream bill for credit card and financial service companies that, if passed by the House, will land millions of American families in debt slavery.* Rather than being able to file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and make a difficult new start, families and individuals will be placed on long-term payment plans to credit card companies, companies that will take their houses, their cars, their child-support payments, and their paychecks.*

If you think you're unlikely to land yourself a share-cropping position in this new feudal system, ask yourself if you can be sure that no one in your family will get sick, be injured, die, lose a job, or get divorced.* More than one in every 100 adults in America files for bankruptcy each year.* If you're a child, the chances of your family filing for bankruptcy are about twice that.* (Kids cost money.)* These rates have doubled in the past decade.* The basic reason that bankruptcies have increased is that personal debt has increased.* In fact, in proportion to debt, bankruptcies are actually down.

About 50 percent of all families who are forced to file for bankruptcy do so as the result of medical expenses.* And three quarters of those have health insurance.* Another 40 percent have suffered a death in the family, lost their job, or gotten divorced, or suffered some combination of these factors and medical costs.* Almost everyone who files for bankruptcy does so as a last resort.* Sixty-one percent of those who do so have gone without medical care that they needed but could not afford.* Fifty percent have failed to get prescriptions filled.* A third have had their utilities shut off.* Twenty-one percent have gone without food.* Seven percent have moved their elderly parents to cheaper care facilities.*

The satirical magazine, The Onion, posted fictional comments on the bankruptcy bill from people in the street, one of which said "Well, there goes my foolproof get-bankrupt-quick scheme!" Only in the mind of a comic or a Republican do people try to go bankrupt.* But some Democrats (see below) seem not to be grasping this concept either.

Full story http://www.blackcommentator.com/132/...y_bill_pf.html
Old 04-01-2005, 03:46 PM   #10
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Another grotesque instance of business using legislation to get around what should be the natural consequences of their business model.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #11
MelisBFly
How soon is now?

I have to say that all the people that support something like this have never had to struggle.

Throughout my life my family has been up and down. Being a single father with 3 children and no college degree my dad couldn't afford to buy us health insurance nor did his employer provide any. We had to rely on the county clinics for emergencies and going to the dentist was a privilege. For a year and a half we had to rely on food stamps to eat.

It was hard being an adolescent and having to survive in this way but it helped us through a rough patch (which it was designed to do). I know have a great job, mu own health insurance and I have very little debt (mostly student loans). I guess my point is that it's hard for people to understand the need for these types of things because they have never been there themselves.

Yes, there are people that will take advatage of these type of programs and bills... but rich people take advantage of programs and bills too. (Martha... it's a good thing)
MelisBFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
Saxifrage
monkey

http://workingforchange.speedera.net...MW03-16-05.jpg
Old 04-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
MelisBFly
How soon is now?

nice
MelisBFly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: