Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > CURRENT EVENTS
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Tunesmith
click click click

Pentagon tells 35,000: Prepare to deploy

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
16 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has notified more than 35,000 soldiers and Marines to be prepared to deploy to Iraq beginning this fall, a move that would allow commanders to maintain the ongoing buildup of troops through the end of the year if needed.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said Tuesday the deployment orders, which have been signed by Defense Secretary Robert Gates, do not mean that the military has made a decision to keep the increased level of 20 brigades in Iraq through December. A brigade is roughly 3,500 soldiers.

Instead, he said the decision gives the Pentagon the "capability" to carry the buildup to the end of the year. The replacement forces, Whitman said, would give commanders in Iraq the flexibility they need to complete the mission there.

Early this year, President Bush ordered close to 30,000 additional troops to Iraq to quell the spiking violence particularly in and around Baghdad. Gates and his military leaders have said that commanders in Iraq will make recommendations in September on whether the buildup has been successful, and whether it should continue or if troops can begin coming home.

There has been increasing pressure from Congress and the American public to being withdrawing troops from Iraq. Bush vetoed the $124.2 billion legislation that would have funded the war but which called for troops to start coming home this fall, and lawmakers are currently crafting a compromise bill.

According to the Army, the combat brigades would deploy for up to 15 months. The Army also said that close to 1,000 additional support troops from the U.S. Army Reserves would also deploy in August. Those would come from two units, an engineer battalion from Fort Thomas, Ky., and a signal battalion from Fort Huachuca, Az.

The 10 brigades are: the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment in Germany; the 4th Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division from Fort Stewart, Ga.; the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigades of the 101st Airborne Division from Fort Campbell, Ky.; the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment from Fort Hood, Texas; the 2nd Brigade, 1st Armored from Germany; 4th Brigade, 10th Mountain Division from Fort Polk, La.; 2nd Brigade, 25th Infantry Division from Hawaii; and the 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division from Fort Hood, Tx.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Tunesmith
click click click

I apologize for the lack of pics and such, I didn't feel like doing a bunch of linking.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Brynn
constantly amazed

I was interested to see that with the exception of a couple of brigades from Germany, all of them came from the south. Is that because all the training bases are there, and soldiers from all over the country go to those bases, or do they just pull enlistees from their own respective regions? I really should know about it more - my dad was a Marine in Vietnam, but he's not around anymore to ask.

It interests me because years ago, when this first started, Oregon was one of the first regions to deploy troops from the National Guard, and one of the first states to start getting bodybags sent home. I don't think it's any casual coincidence that Oregon voters have been firmly against Bush and the war for a long time, in light of that.

Perhaps Bush's home state of Texas (which has been incredibly well-taken care of in terms of funding schools and roads and basic infrastructure during the Bush years)and other southern states will begin to change their fatuous opinion of him once their young men start coming home in bodybags too.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
The Duke
banned

Just Great

Of Course we are talking about the Same AP that did this little trick just day before yesterday :

watch carefully please , and tell me if you can notice the difference here :

I'm sorry to disappoint you good buddy , but the AP loses it totally in my believability column ...

only George Soros or one of his bagmen would know why a major MSM wire source like the AP is losing it so badly in the credibility department ...

Should we ask them about it ?

Last edited by The Duke : 05-10-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
zefrank
-------------

duke -

stay focused brother. on topic. otherwise its called spam.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
The Duke
banned

Ze

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrank View Post
duke -

stay focused brother. on topic. otherwise its called spam.
Actually I was simply focusing on this little gem found within the article :

Quote:
There has been increasing pressure from Congress and the American public to being withdrawing troops from Iraq.
Well I guess I should have said it earlier, I thought everyone noticed it .....

The person(s) who wrote that sentence has two little problems ..One they need to learn to properly form a sentence ,maybe learn to conjugate a verb or two , and maintain reading comprehension with proper usage

and the person(s) who wrote or maybe faultily edited that article needs to learn to stretch the truth a little bit better than that

One certainty though, there is no doubt that the Troop deployment will go through that's about the only real fact I found in it ...

Last edited by The Duke : 05-10-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Avalon

Quote:
Actually I was simply focusing on this little gem found within the article :

Quote:
There has been increasing pressure from Congress and the American public to being withdrawing troops from Iraq.

Well I guess I should have said it earlier, I thought everyone noticed it .....

The person(s) who wrote that sentence has two little problems ..One they need to learn to properly form a sentence ,maybe learn to conjugate a verb or two , and maintian reading comprehension with proper usage

and the person(s) who wrote or maybe faultily edited that article needs to learn to stretch the truth a little bit better than that

One certainty though, there is no doubt that the Troop deployment will go through thats about the only real fact I found in it ...
You both should invest in spellcheck.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
The Duke
banned

Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
You both should invest in spellcheck.

I appologize for the typos....Fixed them just for you
Old 05-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
DiggerDude
High Five Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Of Course we are talking about the Same AP that did this little trick just day before yesterday :

watch carefully please , and tell me if you can notice the difference here :

I'm sorry to disappoint you good buddy , but the AP loses it totally in my believability column ...

only George Soros or one of his bagmen would know why a major MSM wire source like the AP is losing it so badly in the credibility department ...

Should we ask them about it ?

I wouldn't lose all faith in the AP just because of one story, the AP is a huge service with thousands of individule journalist in over 200 different beaurus. This looks like an ill faited attempt by one journalist to "tone it down" for the sake of neutrality. Maybe not the best way to go about but surly nothig to through away an entire newssource over.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Brynn
constantly amazed

Well, today I heard that Bush's so called "surge" has landed. They're all there now.

He needs three or four times the number he's sent over. My guess is that the only way he could ever get that many is to institute a draft, and I hope he at least knows better than to attempt that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: