ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
Klynne
monkey

Fred is Quarantined

My cat Fred is quarantined to the house. That is ok, I never let him outside anyway.

Two of my cats are kind of a mess, so I took them to the groomer today. Knuckles did fine, but Fred bit the groomer during his bath. I told them, that they may just want to brush him out. They decided to bathe him and he bit the person who was giving him a bath. This person went to the hospital, and the hospital reported the bite to the Health Department. The Health Department called me and sent an animal control officer out. I frantically searched for Fred's vaccine records and thankfully, I found them.

If I had not had the papers, the only way to test a cat for rabies, is to have them killed, and send their head to a lab. I kid you not. Always keep your cats up to date on their shots, and keep the papers close by.
Klynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Bullshit.

As much as that's funny to think about a cat losing their head (I'm sorry for being an ass, but that's hysterical on a very very low level. WTF do they do with the head after that???!?!?!?!?! what do they do with the body? <----that is a whole other thread), your vet should have those records, too. You paid for the shot, right? Your vet gets audited by the same dude who came to your house, to see if he gave all his "patients" shots.

I think someone was totally jerking your beefaroni w/telling you they would send the cat's head into a lab.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
Hermione
monkey

that is soo sad. i'm glad fred still has his head. yay for fred!
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #4
Klynne
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
Bullshit.

As much as that's funny to think about a cat losing their head (I'm sorry for being an ass, but that's hysterical on a very very low level. WTF do they do with the head after that???!?!?!?!?! what do they do with the body? <----that is a whole other thread), your vet should have those records, too. You paid for the shot, right? Your vet gets audited by the same dude who came to your house, to see if he gave all his "patients" shots.

I think someone was totally jerking your beefaroni w/telling you they would send the cat's head into a lab.
My brother is a vet. He told me if I could not find the records, animal control most likely would take Fred away from me and euthanize him. It is a fact the only way to test for rabies, is doing a disection of the brain. I don't think my brother was "jerking my beefaroni". He kind of cares about me, but wanted me to be prepared for the worst.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #5
Klynne
monkey

Here is the info.

http://www.animalhealthchannel.com/r...iagnosis.shtml
Old 10-06-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

"The current way to diagnose rabies in animals is to submit the brain for microscopic examination. Some new testing techniques utilizing skin and or blood samples are being studied and used in a few research settings and show promise as a way of testing potentially exposed humans and animals. They are not routinely being used at this time."

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=346
Old 10-06-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
Malmal11787
Coming in Last

Eventually if you didnt have the paperwork to prove of the shots, I'm sure they might have taken Fred. But until then I think they would at least go to the vet and try to find out before they cut his head off. They are just not going to take your cat away from you bc he "might" have rabies...

Anyways, how hard did Fred bite? Was there like a HUGE gash and the man got all emotional or was it a little scratch. Is Fred one of those crazy big cats that will get that way. I think it is pretty amusing... thinking of your cat biting some guy while he is giving him a bath!
Malmal11787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #8
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klynne
My brother is a vet. He told me if I could not find the records, animal control most likely would take Fred away from me and euthanize him. It is a fact the only way to test for rabies, is doing a disection of the brain. I don't think my brother was "jerking my beefaroni". He kind of cares about me, but wanted me to be prepared for the worst.
I'm glad you found the papers then.

Ask your brother what they do w/all the cat heads.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #9
Klynne
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmal11787
Eventually if you didnt have the paperwork to prove of the shots, I'm sure they might have taken Fred. But until then I think they would at least go to the vet and try to find out before they cut his head off. They are just not going to take your cat away from you bc he "might" have rabies...

Anyways, how hard did Fred bite? Was there like a HUGE gash and the man got all emotional or was it a little scratch. Is Fred one of those crazy big cats that will get that way. I think it is pretty amusing... thinking of your cat biting some guy while he is giving him a bath!
Fred is a little guy, only about 5lbs. He is 3. Cat bites are nasty though. I guess the bite was pretty bad. No more baths for him.

I guess I just over react. I was afraid I was going to lose him.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #10
Klynne
monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceyfatprude
I'm glad you found the papers then.

Ask your brother what they do w/all the cat heads.
I will have to ask him. I can't imagine anyone wanting to have them back! Honest to God, I cried with relief when I found those papers. I love Fred.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:58 AM   #11
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

I got a catbite once. Gave me a pasteurella cellulitis from my fingertips to my mid fore-arm. It was so painful, we're talking big codeine, many times and useless arm raised on pillow. Underneath two tiny puncture wounds on my hand was the infinite abyss of cavities which I packed and dressed, one-handed, three times a day until it healed.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #12
Frieda
in limbo

what idiot fvcknut gives a cat a bath???

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:18 AM   #13
smellyrayzin
mrs. self destruct

i love when people name cats with normal human names.

i have a cat named Gary.
of course that was inspired by the 'gary' on spongebob (spongebob's meowing pet snail)
but still

nice cat name

+ my website
+ my photo site
smellyrayzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #14
Sapphire
Hippy Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frieda
what idiot fvcknut gives a cat a bath???
-raising hand-

But in my defense:
My cats LOVE baths. Seriously. They Love baths so much that I have to go through this whole deception/mad dash thing every time I want to take a bath or a shower, otherwise, I end up with a cat in the tub with me. I can't even fill the sink with water to do dishes without first locking the cats away somewhere or else I end up with 20 lbs (combined) of wet cat on my hands.

I also cannot use my blow dryer on my hair without battling them for counter space. They'll jump up on the bathroom counter and begin this whole stretching/reaching thing where they try to climb up the front of my body so as to get in the stream of hot air from the dryer.

It's worth noting that they also beg to be brushed and to have their claws trimmed.

But then, they also beg for food.

It's my contention that I have show dogs cleverly disguised as cats.

I own the only cats in the state that the groomer looks forward to having them come in. And the groomer has a big mouth. She told "a friend of a friend" about my cats. My cats were subsequently "hired" by another local groomer who teaches classes on grooming - and needed "demo cats" for her classes. When she called to ask if I'd let my cats participate, I jokingly asked if they'd be paid in catnip. She responded, "Well, we will definitely pay them in green."

We got $45 a pop - EACH cat. The cats got a new "kitty condo" and their own down comforter. The comforter lies in a pile and they climb inside the folds and sleep there all day.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:22 AM   #15
Frieda
in limbo

they like it??

i've washed Turbo once when she was 2 months old.. after that, she's never allowed me to wash her. i mean, she washes herself! she'll fly to my throat if i attempt to put her in the shower!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: