FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2002, 11:38 AM   #1
amanda
old s'cool

Good Design, Bad Design: A Project For All

I am curious about design.

And I've noticed that a few of you are designers. However, I think we can agree that we are all drawn to the similar oddity, yet hilarious approachablity we can find at this site. Despite our education in design (or even a common language), we can all appreciate, play with, and laugh at (with?) Ze's design work.

Which is why I think this is the perfect place to launch this idea-
I've been tossing around a project in my head for a number of years: Finding examples of good and bad design in life. We experience both in our daily lives- in the home, at work, on the road, on the street, in our cars, on the web, people's hair, music, art...well, you get the picture.

Now remember, a design is a plan to achieve something. There are plenty of things I don't like that are well-designed (cigarette advertisements to name one). I'm still working on the categories, but there are nine so far.

Of course, some ideas cross over into more than one category, even defy categorization- all this is tentative. But the requirements for good (also tentative)-
1. did it achieve its plan?
2. ability to function to its original purpose, efficiency
3. aesthetics
4. approachability for the user/audience

Bad, of course, is opposite of good.

Although it is difficult at times to interpret what the original designer intended (Did Eiffel intend on Lady Liberty oxidizing to a bright green?). I think we can still make a fair assessment of the world designed (or lack of) around us.

Visuals are great if can get them, with a few words to point the rest of us in the direction of your thoughts.

For there are two kinds of people in the world, those who help create the world we live in, and those who live in that world. To some extent, we are all both kinds, at one time or another.

I'll reveal each of the categories (more are welcome!) as the sharing of ideas seems to warrant.

To start: 1.) Design of Place- home, work, public places.

Last edited by amanda : 10-23-2002 at 11:41 AM.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: