ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #31
joppa.gal
monkey

Crap! This was the second time I got fooled into this thread thinking that there was REALLY important news about stupid Tom Cruise only to see jooz go in his face.

I always get honked by this thread every day. I forget what it is every time I click on it. Dang you JT!!!!
joppa.gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #32
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I think it's hysterically funny that here we have an idiot of mediocre intelligence and minor acting talent (the Cruise method: overemote and look earnest, and do it a lot) who's actually creating a worldwide furor with his uneducated, ill-informed and illogical statements of opinion.

If some middle manager at a megacompany made statements like this, he would get what he richly deserved: some funny looks and a lot of ignoring, and a big fat stallout in his career.

But Tom Cruise says it and everyone's listening, and both his recognition factor and marketability skyrocket. I hope he never runs for President; he'll probably be elected. (He wouldn't be the first B actor who made the grade.)

-- trisherina

Last edited by sparticle : 06-25-2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Edited for uneducated, ill-informed and illogical methods of spelling.
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #33
Brynn
constantly amazed

I'm a whore.

I dunno. I think he's extremely entertaining in self-destruct, and that's why the world watches. Everyone wants to see Mr. Perfect implode.
He's headed for a complete and total career plunge. I know all actors face it, eventually, and I've always wondered how it would come about for him in particular.
It'll be good for him. If only the hunger and poverty part that usually goes along with that sort of thing would ever remotely affect him.
Yes, he's a nut job, yes he's an arrogant SOB who knows squat about mental illness, he's offensively rich and offensively happy wherever he goes, whether he's "humbly" lapping up adoration at "Inside The Actor's Studio" or lavishing the magic of his own undying and utterly "sincere" adoration on his next victim on Oprah so soon after a nasty public break-up with Nicole Kidman.

Still, I think he's a wonderful actor, and that's why he's made the big bucks.
It's darn hard to emote and be vulnerable and look earnest all the time.

There's no way I'm going to miss "War Of the Worlds." My husband's going to drag me to it anyway because there's only so many documentaries, subtitled art films and costume dramas he can tolerate before he needs to see something "get blowed-up real good. " I may as well plunk down my ten bucks, sit back and enjoy the escape from my dreary little life. Love Steven Spielberg movies, loved Minority Report, can't help it.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 PM   #34
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Well, there are some folks whose personal belief systems and private lives (and even public offscreen behavior) are not necessarily admirable (IN MY OPINION, I should qualify this) or anything I'd care to emulate, but they are still tremendously good actors.

There are all sorts of actors, Spencer Tracy and Joan Crawford and Bette Davis and Errol Flynn and later, Richard Burton and Marlon Brando and Shirley MacLaine and Jack Nicholson and on down to Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver, and as recently as Colin Farrell, Winona Ryder, Russell Crowe -- all these people have said and done things in their offscreen lives with which I disagree or for which I can develop very little sympathy OR empathy, but they have one thing in common -- they are (IN MY OPINION - dun-dun-dunhhhhh) Excellent Actors.

In your opinion, Tom is an excellent actor. You share that opinion with bunches and bunches of other people, apparently -- his name on a picture is a pretty good guarantee that it will at least break even.

But in JUST MY OPINION, he's a mediocre actor. And to give even a great actor such mass attention simply because they voice their opinion is an amusing practice. We seem to think that because someone looks good and sound good, they have to know what they're talking about. It's really more funny than anything else -- people are really not too many steps away from our monkey brethren.

When it's said that we "descended" from the apes, it's probably an apt phrase -- the direction does seem to be downward. heh Monkeys will imitate what appeals to them, but seldom do they seem to take it seriously. I have never heard of them tuning into talk shows to listen to another monkey saying that bananas are really apples and apples are no good, and then arguing amongst themselves about it afterward.

-- trisherina
Old 06-26-2005, 12:52 AM   #35
Avalon

Tom Cruise is the Anti-Christ

This is my personal opinion..there is my disclaimer.
Tom Cruise is a poster-boy for mental illness. He belongs to a cult of mammoth proportions and is so brain washed he can't see the forest for the trees. He is so far gone he doesn't think he is ill and that anyone who doesn't believe as he does is the enemy. I just wish Brooke Sheilds would have kicked his ass.

The man is an arrogant ass. He picked Holmes because she is, for all intents and purposes, a little girl. An impressionable little girl he can mold into the Scientology freak he failed in doing with his first 2 wives.

I am ashamed of her family. ( The Holmes's are from Toledo, where I live, yay.) The are as star-struck as their child. Personally, and this is just me personally..I wouldn't brag about Tom Cruise joining my family.
But luckily, there is a Christian Science Reading Room just down Central Avenue where they can all meet.
I wonder how long it will be before he won't allow her to visit her parents? Will they, life long catholics, switch to scientology to be close to their child?

yeah, it's a rant. Blame it on the heat; I spent 2 hours on the surface of the sun watching the kids sell lemonade.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Avalon : 06-26-2005 at 01:06 AM.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 AM   #36
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
I dunno. I think he's extremely entertaining in self-destruct, and that's why the world watches. Everyone wants to see Mr. Perfect implode.
he is, as we all can see, growing shorter every day.. it won't be long!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 01:30 AM   #37
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
I may as well plunk down my ten bucks, sit back and enjoy the escape from my dreary little life. Love Steven Spielberg movies, loved Minority Report, can't help it.
And anyway, there's nothing wrong with that!

-- trisherina
Old 06-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #38
Avalon

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs...WS10/506260348
Quote:
But luckily, there is a Christian Science Reading Room just down Central Avenue where they can all meet.
I need to correct my post. Yes, there is a reading room on Cental; but Christian Scientists are not the same as Scientologists.

Christian Science is the religion that Muppet master Jim Henson followed, causing his untimely death. They do not believe in medicating members for any reason. Scientologists believe we are decended from AND inhabited by aliens. The medication thing is what had me confused a little.

The Cruise-Holmes thing is big news here because of Katie being a home town girl. If you think Cuise is weird, read this article and erase all doubt. I don't know whether to laugh or start drinking after reading this. The link above was an article in today's paper.

Some of the basic tenets of the Church of Scientology, which was founded in 1954 by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard:

People are immortal, immaterial beings, called thetans, temporarily inhabiting human bodies.
tMemories from past-life traumas, or engrams, inhibit human development.

Audits, or spiritual therapy sessions, help erase engrams and other obstacles, leading to a personal “state of clear.”

If enough humans reach a state of clear, it will “clear the planet” and eliminate war, pollution, insanity, and crime.

There is a supreme being, but defining and relating to that being is an individual decision.

Scientologists can be members of other faith groups.

Psychiatry and psychiatric drugs are strictly forbidden.

Medical drugs, such as antibiotics and pain killers, are allowed if needed.

Alcohol is allowed for Scientologists but not within 24 hours of a counseling session.

A person can become a member of the Church of Scientology as soon as he or she decides to join.

Source: “What IS Scientology,” Compiled by the Church of Scientology International (Bridge Publications, 1998), and Sylvia Stanard, office of public relations of the Church of Scientology, Washington.
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Old 06-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #39
Avalon

Quote:
Still, I think he's a wonderful actor, and that's why he's made the big bucks.
I have enjoyed some of his movies very much, but not because he was in them.
Tom Cruise has not made any great movies, but, some great movies have made Tom Cruise.
Groucho Marx
Old 06-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #40
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Scientology and children

The other stuff about Scientology, I don't much care about. Loony adults do all sorts of loony things, and all power to them. Even with the evasiveness and vagueness about Scientology that most adherents assume, I have seen the following in common in many different sources:

Scientologists see children as "little adults" or "adults in little bodies." Schooling past middle school is unusual. Children are expected to work and make themselves useful as soon as a good fit is found for their aptitudes, and since the goal of Scientology is to help the individual to attain his/her highest level, where child-rearing interferes with this it can be done by others in the Scientology "family" -- no need to burden the actual parents.

I have no patience for these people.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #41
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

When I was a young single parent, I worked briefly as an appointment setter for a dentist who was a Scientologist. He sent all his office help to an out-of-town seminar "for work". It was held at a Ramada Inn and from all outward appearances was one of those motivational seminars so popular then (this was in the late 80s).

When we arrived and received our informational packages, I discovered to my horror that the "seminar" amounted to a Scientology indoctrination camp.

They became very tense and angry with people who questioned them (which of course, being me, I did), and they monitored everyone very carefully. It was a frightening weekend. It was the closest thing I have ever experienced to being held prisoner and brainwashed.

As soon as I was safely home I quit my job. I needed money very badly but not that badly.

-- trisherina
Old 06-26-2005, 09:40 PM   #42
Avalon

After reading just the very basic tenets of the Scientology belief system, I can well understand their aversion to psychiatry. All I could picture while reading them was Joaquin Phoenix and the kids from "Signs" sitting around with the aluminum foil hats.

Very strange.
Groucho Marx
Old 06-26-2005, 09:43 PM   #43
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Joaquin Phoenix
He's my future husband. He doesn't know it yet. But it's just a matter of time...
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #44
xfox
slightly effective

I resisted this thread til now. Good thing for Tom we have freedom of religion. John Travolta is also a scientologist. I think they both have a sort of limited repertoiré, but Tom more so. Neither of them could play the opposite sex. haha. (Hey, Dustin did and so did Robin Williams).

I have a cousin who we haven't heard from since she married into a "cult" over 35 years ago. We know little of her life, and though it's her choice, she might as well be on another planet.

Can that be good? It's not in the realm of "normal" surely.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #45
smellyrayzin
mrs. self destruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
All I could picture while reading them was Joaquin Phoenix and the kids from "Signs" sitting around with the aluminum foil hats.
LOL!

+ my website
+ my photo site
smellyrayzin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: