Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 03:26 AM   #61
Frieda
in limbo

the first minute i was legally able to-- my 18th birthday

why? because public transportation sucks monkey ass here

i've never been in a crash, thankfully. i did manage to drive off the left mirror of my dad's car when i drove up too close to one of those parking garage ticket dispensers, and another time when i tried to turn (again with my dad's car) there was a fence that i didn't notice. these were all when i just got my license.

since then, all i've sustained is coming back to my car and finding it wrecked by someone else. parking damage sucks.. especially if they don't leave a note! still, i'd rather have parking damage than end up in a car crash.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #62
T.I.P.
balancing actor

i also got my permit at age 18 - i lived in the 'burbs back then, so knowing how to drive was a necessary skill.

My funnest driving scare is this one:

I was driving a truck on the Audubon around midnight on a 24th of December 1999 to go to Hamburg with my band. We heard a *clump* noise and then alot of screeching metal and I noticed a huge ball of flames emanating from the rear left of the truck. I basically didn't do anything - just kept the hand on the wheel and let go of the gas - and we slowly glided to a stop at the side of the highway.

Diagnostic: The truck had literally lost a wheel because the lugnuts had not been tightened properly by the slightly sleezy mechanic friend who had sold us the truck ("for fear of not being able to remove them later" - lol).

Later the German highway cops brought us the wheel, with a smile ! They called a tow truck for us, and drove away.

I remember the date because when the tow truck lifted us up (he told us to remain in the truck), we found ourselves at a 45 angle going upwards, with flashing orange lights on each side - it felt like we were in Santa's sleigh, on Christmas eve.
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:12 AM   #63
Stephi_B
waaaaaaa :)

When I was 19. Actually mostly due to peer pressure. Used to live in a city before and had no need (and absolutely no moneda ) for a license, then in my last year in school I moved out to the country to my grandparents, of the kids age 18(+) in town only me and the daughter of the dentist had no drivers license (though it was quite cool when her dad fetched us with his Porsche - ay this dentists, way too much money! - from the late afternoon ethics course - no school busses in Bavaria for atheists ). In the end my grandparents said: Hey we pay you the fee (something like 3000 Mark - failed the practical test the first time and the second time I passed it only cos the examiner had a) pity I suppose and b) never wanted to see me again - latter he said to me actually...). Used my grandpa's and dad's cars mostly - and they both survived - am not a good but a fast driver...
Have not driven since like 5, 6 years or so, but I'm glad I have one - though I really should take some refreshment course before I feel like/have to driving/drive again.
Stephi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #64
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

^^TIP always has the best stories!

I first got a learner's permit when I was 15, because people do, I guess. And also because that way I could drive my grandmother to doctor's appointments..sounds like there's a lot of that going around. Everything is really far apart in Texas, and the public transport is minimal, so unftly if you wanna go, you hafta drive.

Never been in a wreck in which I was driving, though when I lived up north, my life flashed before my eyes several times on icy roads. Thinking back on a couple of those close calls, I still can't believe I never got hit.

ps the one time I ever parallel parked correctly was on my driver's test. All other attempts have been hideous failures.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #65
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

17 (or sixteen, can't remember). Because I wanted the freedom. Promptly wrote off snakedad's new car after he expressly told me not to take it.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #66
zero

from about age 13 i made a bloody nuisance of myself pestering my dad about driving so he finally gave in and taught me on an abandoned airfield and sometimes on unmade dirt tracks in the trossachs when we were supposed to be catching trout for our TEATIME. waiting to be 17 and pass my test felt like forever.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:02 PM   #67
auntie aubrey
excursions

did driver's ed when i was 15 and snatched up that license like it was a lifeline when i was 16.

why? because everyone gets their license at 16. and also, it would have been terribly uncool not to.

so which crash story? there haven't been many, but they're all fun to tell.

there was the time when a minivan bolted through a 4 way stop and t-boned my little 1985 camry. the driver was a cop so the officer who arrived on the scene yucked it up with her, then handed me the ticket. i took the ticket to court and the judge lambasted the officer for making such a stupid judgement call.

there was the time a woman came barreling out of a parking lot right into the side panel of my corolla, and yet somehow instead of causing actual damage, the panel made a sound like BWOOOMP! BLOOOMP! and popped right back out without a dent or a scratch. she screamed at me in an unidentified language, then called her son, who arrived on the scene to take over the screaming duties. then he asked me if i was trying to get rich off of insurance by waiting for the cops to make a record of the accident. without thinking, i burst out laughing at such a ridiculous idea. i'm lucky i didn't get punched for that.

then there was the time my cousin and i were out in the middle of nowhere, south dakota, and we somehow ended up backing our car into a ditch so that it was perfectly perpendicular to the road, with the front wheels pointing up into the sky. we sat there, in the space shuttle launch position, wondering what to do next. if a kindly livestock veterinarian with a winch on his truck hadn't happened by, i'm not sure what would have happened.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #68
Stephi_B

question of the day ? for Wednesday 09/26/07
(likely inspired by my still lingering tiredness ):

How do you sleep: on your back, on the left/right side, on your belly, stretched or in embryo position, ... Do you have certain ticks with respect to how you sleep best?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #69
brightpearl
Rhinoceros fan

I sleep all curled up, must have body pillow. I don't move around much, often wake up in precisely the same position I fell asleep in.
brightpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #70
Stephi_B

My sleeping position changes constantly, atm its mostly on the back, in summer I had a on the belly phase. Have the tick to need not only the normal pillow but in addition some smaller ones (or my toy camel ) to get a proper pile under my head. When there is just one pillow available (hotels, at other folks places) I fold/crush the pillow together to increase the height.

As kid my granny perfumed a small pillow on all four corners with 4711 eau-de-cologne (which I out of some reason totally digged then...) and I kept rotating and sniffing the thing till I fell asleep.

There is definitely some pillow fixation in me

@brightpearl: That happens to me as well often, that I wake up like I fell asleep, usually when I'm totally knackered.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #71
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

On side or stomach but hardly ever on back because it brings on episodes of sleep paralysis when I'm sleep-deprived.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 AM   #72
zero

^
i'd like to be able to say i'm a starfish

in fact i'm a freefaller/foetus/yearner hybrid
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #73
Stephi_B

^So cool! Last night I was a starfish!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #74
T.I.P.
balancing actor

^ ha ! that's so funny
  • I usually "foetus" during the night. If I am agitated I go from "foetus" to "freefall" to "log" to "soldier" and back again. If I am especially agitated I do this a lot and it feels like I am drilling a hole.

• When i do 20 minute power naps at home i "Freefall", which usually implies waking up to a small puddle of drool on my pillow.

• When i do power naps under my desk at work, the floor is hard so i usually "Soldier", but I have been getting good results with a nice "Starfish" lately .
T.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #75
Frieda
in limbo

i try to avoid the soldier, freefaller and starfish, i get horrid nightmares when i sleep on my back or my stomach.

so both foetus and yearner work for me!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: